Author Topic: The Most Legendary Collector  (Read 4431 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: The Most Legendary Collector
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 09:54:08 am »
I've met a lot of the people that you guys have mentioned and I can say this - they ALL have amazing collections. I have a few that I respect more than others, but don't have specific links to many of them. While I totally get having a complete set - I've just come to the realization that I enjoy collections that have a lot of really, really nice items over volume. I know a gentleman with somewhere between 8K and 12K games at any given moment and I just really don't see myself going that far. Who knows, maybe I'll win $200 million and go nuts, but for me it's more about quality.

Absolutely
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 10:05:47 am »
I've met a lot of the people that you guys have mentioned and I can say this - they ALL have amazing collections. I have a few that I respect more than others, but don't have specific links to many of them. While I totally get having a complete set - I've just come to the realization that I enjoy collections that have a lot of really, really nice items over volume. I know a gentleman with somewhere between 8K and 12K games at any given moment and I just really don't see myself going that far. Who knows, maybe I'll win $200 million and go nuts, but for me it's more about quality.

Absolutely

I'm an idiot though.  I want to have a massive QUANTITY of QUALITY games!  If I have ALL the games, then there are sure to be some good ones in there.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 11:35:48 am »

Absolutely

I'm an idiot though.  I want to have a massive QUANTITY of QUALITY games!  If I have ALL the games, then there are sure to be some good ones in there.

Very True!

...But...

By doing it "that" way - you're bound to also end-up with exponentially more 'filler' & 'fluff' games; that you don't really give a shit about VS being more selective 'n' picky about your purchases...while you may end-up w/ a larger collection/amount of total games - like you're saying - I bet you that if you were to compare the quality & valuable items, side by side w/ someone who's just been carefully & consistently hunting-down & acquiring a more *focused* quality collection...that by doing it 'your' way...you'll end-up spending more money to wind up w/ the same games; no?!  :o

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 11:46:09 am »
I was joking.  I'm actually in the middle of this right now.  I still want to try to get every NES game; but my SNES, Master System, etc. collections are way more selective.

darko

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 02:05:06 pm »
I was joking.  I'm actually in the middle of this right now.  I still want to try to get every NES game; but my SNES, Master System, etc. collections are way more selective.

I can tell you this - unless you're a glutton for punishment - I would never, ever, ever go for a CIB SNES set. It's my favorite system ever and I wouldn't even think about it. Not only did they produce some absolute garbage for the system - but some of that garbage is extremely expensive versus Master System, NES, N64, etc. I haven't done the math, but I would guess that it's in the top 5, maybe even top 3, most expensive sets to obtain.

It's really easy to drop a grand on CIB SNES games and not even put a dent in the titles you actually want. That being said - there are a ton of great games to obtain - so if you had a grand lying around I wouldn't tell you not to spend it :)

scott

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 04:58:22 pm »
I've become much more quality over quantity lately. Originally I wanted to get as close to a full set of Game Boy games as possible and a full set of Saturn games. But it's just not feasible for me. I'm still debating on putting a lot together of my unwanted Saturn games and trimming it down to a "best of" collection.

Even my PS3 collection, which as grown by leaps over the last year is becoming super selective. Originally I wanted to get every PS3 exclusive title that was available. But honestly, not all of them look appealing to me. Instead of buying every game that is tagged "Only on PlayStation", I've found myself doing tons of research on them to see if it's something I'd enjoy playing.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

theflea

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 02:28:18 am »
Who is the flea???

He's a member of this forum.  If you want to give his collection a good look http://vgcollect.com/theflea

Is this "TheFlea" the same as SpaceFlea I've seen on other forums?

Aw i feel special, Everyone wants me to make videos and I'm talking to someone about filming and maybe I'll make some videos on my collection one day. No I never went by the name SpaceFlea on any forums.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

soera

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 12:26:52 pm »
Spaceflea is on Sega Age and he is pretty much Sega only. He lives in Oklahoma actually and we have talked a few times.

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 11:21:41 pm »
I mainly respect individuals whose collections exhibit some kind of discernable taste, which doesn't apply to the Collect All the Things types most of the time. A friend of mine in NYC has a fantastic collection of games, mostly focused on Japanese platformers and RPGs, and Kimimi here on VGC has an absolutely staggering assortment of Chinese and Japanese games, along with an ever-growing lot of arcade boards.

I'm certainly not starstruck (sorry, Kimimi ^.^), but it's inspiring to see people like them who act almost like curators, carefully choosing what goes and doesn't go into their collections, while people who fill theirs with random crap seem more like compulsive hoarders. Quality over quantity wins out every time.

scott

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 12:33:52 am »
Aww I was expecting Soera to have already edited a quote of your reply with his name and Dragon Quest collection.... Dude's slipping.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 08:21:55 am »
Hah Im tired is all.  :P

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 09:49:31 am »
I mainly respect individuals whose collections exhibit some kind of discernable taste, which doesn't apply to the Collect All the Things types most of the time. A friend of mine in NYC has a fantastic collection of games, mostly focused on Japanese platformers and RPGs, and Kimimi here on VGC has an absolutely staggering assortment of Chinese and Japanese games, along with an ever-growing lot of arcade boards.

I'm certainly not starstruck (sorry, Kimimi ^.^), but it's inspiring to see people like them who act almost like curators, carefully choosing what goes and doesn't go into their collections, while people who fill theirs with random crap seem more like compulsive hoarders. Quality over quantity wins out every time.

I Don't think you have to worry about Kimimi reading a post of yours here...haven't seen her (around here) in ages :(

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 03:34:19 pm »
Aw, too bad. She posts a few times a day on Twitter, but I think she's just been focused on her blog and hanging out with her kiddo lately :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 04:59:35 pm »

I'd love to have my collection full of titles like Earthbound and Panzer Dragoon Saga. But our budgets limit many of us. We can't all own a Magnavox Odyssey and Neo Geo AES. (And this is also why I don't have all my games complete in original boxes, I buy them to play them)

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 12:04:47 am »
I'd love to have my collection full of titles like Earthbound and Panzer Dragoon Saga. But our budgets limit many of us. We can't all own a Magnavox Odyssey and Neo Geo AES. (And this is also why I don't have all my games complete in original boxes, I buy them to play them)

I'm not talking about just the most rare and prestigous games or anything though, I'm just saying it's better to have a purpose to your collection, y'know? If you love video games, and are buying video games, doesn't it make more sense top buy games that actually interest you, instead of like, 30 Pong clones that will just sit on a shelf and collect dust because they're rare and serve almost no purpose beyond historical curiousity?

You mentioned the Magnavox Odyssey... how many people who own one these days ever actually play the thing, or have a real fondness for even a single game released for it?