Author Topic: A Now Playing List or Backlog List  (Read 2236 times)

mark1982

A Now Playing List or Backlog List
« on: October 26, 2013, 05:30:13 am »
Want to start off by saying I really like the community here at vgcollect, the topics are interesting in the forums, no trolls or elitism regarding which system is better or what not. Just a community of people that are really passionate about video games. It's rare to see and I greatly appreciate a place like this  :D Everyday I'm here browsing collections or at the NeoGaf forums as well, fun place to be.

I understand this place is an ongoing project and a lot of great things are happening, my suggestion would be if a "Now Playing" list can be added in perhaps? This day and age I believe a lot of people have huge backlogs with game sales happening everywhere and steam sales, people are racking up quite the backlog. I find it hard sometimes to see which games I still have left to play, heh. Maybe a "Now Playing" list to show what games we are playing to keep track of and what we want to play down the line. If there is a "Now Playing" list already implemented and I just missed it please let me know, heh.  8)

Other than that this is a brilliant site especially for collectors, I find it very relaxing just cataloging my game collection.

cheers
- mark1982

edit: changed the title of the topic to Backlog list too

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:33:24 am by mark1982 »
  l    l 

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: A Now Playing List
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 07:21:58 am »
Welcome to the site!

At the moment, we do have a "Now/Currently Playing" thread - as well as a "Just finished/beaten" thread...just not anything w/ 'boxes & checkmarks' and/or in our profiles/collections.

I agree w/ you 100% :)

This is my safe-haven & breath of fresh air site; what with the lack of trolling, elitism, and fan-boy/girl-ism - so prevalent on much of the internet :(
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:17:03 am »
Another thing is, a lot of folks list what they are currently playing in their forum signatures.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 09:52:02 am »
Another thing is, a lot of folks list what they are currently playing in their forum signatures.

Yep.  That, too.

mark1982

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 10:29:59 am »
Thanks for the responses guys :)

I use to list my now playing games as well in my signatures in previous forums I use to visit. But the list became too overbearing after a while. Too many titles just kept coming in and my backlog just kept growing, after a while I had to make my own excel sheet then I was using backloggery.com as well.

I managed to get my now playing list to about 30+ games but I just got Batman and it just keeps growing, and sometimes I loose track. I found Mirror's Edge in the back of my game cabinet and I totally forgot about it, heh still need to play it.

Maybe instead of calling it a "Now Playing" list it should be called a "Backlog" list instead.
  l    l 

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 11:27:19 am »
Thanks for the responses guys :)

I use to list my now playing games as well in my signatures in previous forums I use to visit. But the list became too overbearing after a while. Too many titles just kept coming in and my backlog just kept growing, after a while I had to make my own excel sheet then I was using backloggery.com as well.

I managed to get my now playing list to about 30+ games but I just got Batman and it just keeps growing, and sometimes I loose track. I found Mirror's Edge in the back of my game cabinet and I totally forgot about it, heh still need to play it.

Maybe instead of calling it a "Now Playing" list it should be called a "Backlog" list instead.

I, personally, don't use the "Wishlist" feature (anywhere) -but- (from what I've been reading AND if I'm understanding everything correctly)...It now has different "priorities"...

...Maybe you could (for now, at least) use the "Wishlist" as/for your "Backlogged games that I *WISHED* that I got around to playing" -and- use the "Priorities" to keep track of which ones you want to get to 1st/the most?

scott

Re: A Now Playing List or Backlog List
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 11:57:16 am »
The problem with a backlog list, is that most of our whole collections are our backlog. I know if I were to write up a backlog list it would be pretty much every game I own, except for the few that I've actually beaten (which is prolly less than 20%).

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 01:04:58 pm »
*points to sig*

Backloggery works wonders. >_> I use it to keep track of games I beat, but it can be set to "Now Playing" as well.

scott

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 01:07:30 pm »
*points to sig*

Backloggery works wonders. >_> I use it to keep track of games I beat, but it can be set to "Now Playing" as well.

Ya I should do that too.

matt

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 01:09:00 pm »
First let me say welcome to the site! I appreciate all the kind words. We are definitely constantly evolving (outside a few small periods where I've disappeared to take care of real world stuff).

As for a backlog, you definitely aren't the first to ask for this feature. My canned response normally was that our #1 focus is on managing a collection and a backlog doesn't really fit into that goal. We'd rather have a narrow set of features that work great as opposed to tons of features that lack polish. That being said, we are now starting to mature to a point where I think we can start adding some bonus features, especially ones that have been requested often. I won't make any promises as to when we'll implement a backlog, but I will put it on the task list.

Thanks again and welcome to the community!

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 05:46:53 pm »
My biggest gripe with Backloggery is the need to manually enter each title.  When we've already done work in our item list here, I'd like to be able to just check off boxes since, as Scott says, most of my collection is basically my backlog.  But I can see it either way.

Maybe one day we can have custom lists that we create for various reasons, be in backlog, currently playing, currently looking for, preordered, etc. (titles of lists would be customizable) and that that we have the option of making these public or private lists.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 06:16:24 pm »
^ This. I had tried listing everything there for a bit, but it was a slog to enter everything in manually, and trying to reduce that list meant going in and slowly, manually clearing out a ton of stuff. I get (and appreciate) minimalism, but the site just doesn't address basic usability very well.

pacpix

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 06:25:36 pm »
Maybe one day we can have custom lists that we create for various reasons, be in backlog, currently playing, currently looking for, preordered, etc. (titles of lists would be customizable) and that that we have the option of making these public or private lists.

Madmax would be super excited to have this feature.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 06:52:07 pm »
Oo, I can see the custom list being helpful for if you want a list of games you're borrowing or are loaning out to friends.  Maybe have the option then of whether or not the items in that particular list add to the number of items in your actual "collection."

*continues to dream*  8)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

mark1982

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 05:10:08 am »
Lots of great feedback and responses here  8)

And thanks Matt for considering creating a backlog list in the future.

l    l