Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 8004 times)

insektmute

Re: Wii U
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 01:44:30 am »
They've been repeating many of the same mistakes for decades, so I'm rather doubtful. I was about to type something very different here as to why, but just noticed something interesting while trying to look up someon's name on Wikipedia.

Has has anyone ever noticed that over the last couple gens, there's an almost excessive amount of support and reliance on 'hardcore' titles from Miyamoto's EAD groups (Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, etc), and a comparatively tiny amount given to the SPD division (Metroid, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, etc.)? I can't help but think that there's a distinct divide between the two, wherein Miyamoto's projects and areas he oversees are given maybe a little too much focus and budget, while SPD is often relegated to churning out cheesy party games, with only the rare 'big' title like Metroid Prime or Fire Emblem: Awakening. Donkey Kong seems to be an exception... and it was created by Miyamoto.

It's kind of interesting, because when I look over what each group has been doing, the SPD studios put out more stuff that appeals to people who maybe aren't so interested in the more archetypically Nintendo series... but they get a fraction of the support to pursue those games? Very strange.

blipcs76

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 10:56:39 am »
They've been repeating many of the same mistakes for decades, so I'm rather doubtful. I was about to type something very different here as to why, but just noticed something interesting while trying to look up someon's name on Wikipedia.

Has has anyone ever noticed that over the last couple gens, there's an almost excessive amount of support and reliance on 'hardcore' titles from Miyamoto's EAD groups (Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, etc), and a comparatively tiny amount given to the SPD division (Metroid, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, etc.)? I can't help but think that there's a distinct divide between the two, wherein Miyamoto's projects and areas he oversees are given maybe a little too much focus and budget, while SPD is often relegated to churning out cheesy party games, with only the rare 'big' title like Metroid Prime or Fire Emblem: Awakening. Donkey Kong seems to be an exception... and it was created by Miyamoto.

It's kind of interesting, because when I look over what each group has been doing, the SPD studios put out more stuff that appeals to people who maybe aren't so interested in the more archetypically Nintendo series... but they get a fraction of the support to pursue those games? Very strange.

I think this is because Nintendo is terrified to step outside of the box.  First party titles that venture outside of the safe and comfortable franchises often don't do well.  Conker's Bad Fur Day was Nintendo's first attempt to court a more mature audience and it was a flop.  Other titles like Geist and Odama were also pretty big failures.  Nintendo is afraid to take chances on anything that's not already an established franchise and by doing so continues to paint themselves into a corner.  Funding the publishing of Bayonetta 2 is definitely a step in the right direction, but more in that vein is needed.  XB/PS fans will not buy a WiiU just to play Bayonetta 2.

It's pretty obvious what modern core gamers want, but Nintendo is too timid and afraid to tarnish their family-friendly image so they continue to play it safe.  The thing is, some fresh ideas with even existing IPs could show Nintendo is still relevant.  Put Captain Falcon or the Fire Emblem characters in a Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden style action game.  Turn Mach Rider into an open world Mad Max-style GTA clone.  Finally turn Pokemon and Animal Crossing into the MMOs they absolutely need to be.  Release a new Starfox game that is new stages released as episodic content.  Develop the Operation Hammer game they teased for the Wii.  There are countless things Nintendo can do to remain familiar but still show they have fresh, original and fun ideas.

sin2beta

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 10:17:51 pm »
I can't help but think that most of the feelings of Nintendo failing come from people that the console isn't targeting. I started wondering this because, the Wii came in first last generation. In most metrics it was the biggest success last generation. But the "core" gaming community calls it a failure. This begs two questions 1) Is that really the "core" gamer or just an aging demographic? 2) Do they just personally not find the system appealing?

I know for me, I'm the second part. I just don't like Nintendo stuff that much anymore. It's not for me. And I have to wonder if the WiiU is suffering the same problem. Nintendo has done pretty well with small numbers of console sales for a while. In one year the WiiU has done approximately 20% of the sales the GameCube has. That's not the worst thing ever.

But the point of tis post is, even if the WiiU sales skyrocket, they won't be considered a success. The Wii proves that. So, I am forced to look at the opposite end of the spectrum, do it's current sales mark it as a failure. I certainly don't think so.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

tpugmire

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2013, 11:08:05 pm »
I think you are exactly right. The Wii U isn't for everyone. Judging from the recent launch numbers of the PS4 and Xbox One, those two consoles are targeting a different audience altogether. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm in the opposite camp, I really enjoyed the Wii, and I'm enjoying the Wii U as well. I've owned my Xbox 360 for almost 2 years, and only own like 4 games for it. Nothing interests me at all about the PS4 or Xbox One. Different strokes for different folks...
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 11:16:03 pm »
It's like me and my one friend. He is huge into the Wii U and I am more interested in what the PS4 has to offer. But, he has a family as well and I'm the only gamer in my household.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

insektmute

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 11:56:47 pm »
I can't help but think that most of the feelings of Nintendo failing come from people that the console isn't targeting. I started wondering this because, the Wii came in first last generation. In most metrics it was the biggest success last generation. But the "core" gaming community calls it a failure. This begs two questions 1) Is that really the "core" gamer or just an aging demographic? 2) Do they just personally not find the system appealing?

I know for me, I'm the second part. I just don't like Nintendo stuff that much anymore. It's not for me. And I have to wonder if the WiiU is suffering the same problem. Nintendo has done pretty well with small numbers of console sales for a while. In one year the WiiU has done approximately 20% of the sales the GameCube has. That's not the worst thing ever.

But the point of tis post is, even if the WiiU sales skyrocket, they won't be considered a success. The Wii proves that. So, I am forced to look at the opposite end of the spectrum, do it's current sales mark it as a failure. I certainly don't think so.

There's a lot of chatter about how Nintendo isn't targeting the same audience, but I think this argument dodges the fact that they desperately need to start. Consoles are just a platform, after all. Framing their failures as just a question of demographics is still indicative of an inability to create one that's compelling for more than bottom-feeding shovelware and first-party titles.

More importantly, the core gaming community largely consists of people who grew up with Nintendo and Sega. We've all gotten older sure, but I think most hardcore gamers tend to be drawn toward the same general types of games they liked when they were younger. I was mostly interested in stuff like RPGs, action-adventure games, fighting games, and beat 'em ups, and that hasn't really changed, and I think most hardocre gamers tend to gravitate toward games that echo what they liked when they were younger.

The fundamental problem is that Nintendo has steadily turned away from those core gamers who maybe weren't so interested in Mario, but loved the same types of games that I did, and that really started with the N64. I was about 16 when that came out, and I remember being enticed by Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, GoldenEye, and Ogre Battle 64. Literally, only 5 games. Looking back on it now, in my 30s, and those are still the only N64 games I have even the slightest interest in.

This is pretty much the exact same problem that many people are running into with the Wii U. Nintendo can target whatever they like, but unless they're expecting millions of people's tastes to be a 1:1 perfect match with what their marketing department has conceived, they're going to be struggling to find an audience... and a lot of those people want a lot more than a tiny handful of games when they're shelling out $250-300.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2013, 01:41:31 pm »
But Nintendo isn't failing, by any means.  ???

Just because they aren't catering to the Shooter or JRPG crowds, doesn't mean they're failing. The Wii was a unprecedented success, as was the DS and now the 3DS. Admittedly, the Wii U needs to gain some steam. But that's pretty much how all Nintendo consoles start. And with the game releases Nintendo is putting out just recently, I'm sure that steam will gain fast this Christmas season and into the next year.

insektmute

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 04:50:09 pm »
But Nintendo isn't failing, by any means.  ???

Just because they aren't catering to the Shooter or JRPG crowds, doesn't mean they're failing. The Wii was a unprecedented success, as was the DS and now the 3DS. Admittedly, the Wii U needs to gain some steam. But that's pretty much how all Nintendo consoles start. And with the game releases Nintendo is putting out just recently, I'm sure that steam will gain fast this Christmas season and into the next year.

You're cherry-picking a bit here. There are a large number of genres not being addressed on the Wii U, and among those that do have some presence, there isn't much in the way of variety. The rare exceptions are mostly ports of games that were already released, or inferior to their PS3/360 counterparts.

I've already rambled on at length about the Wii and their handheld strategies.

It'll be interesting to look back at this discussion a year from now, though...

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2013, 05:47:21 pm »
In all honesty the PS4 and Xbox one don't seem to have a whole lot of "Next-Gen" stuff lined up. A lot of the games that are released and going to be released on them are also released and going to be released on the PS3 and 360. To me this next gen seems like it's going to have a slow start no matter what system you choose

sin2beta

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2013, 09:25:30 pm »
In all honesty the PS4 and Xbox one don't seem to have a whole lot of "Next-Gen" stuff lined up. A lot of the games that are released and going to be released on them are also released and going to be released on the PS3 and 360. To me this next gen seems like it's going to have a slow start no matter what system you choose

I'd second this. There were moments where I was tempted to pick up a next gen system at launch. But after watching the Awesome Video Games and Giant Bomb launch specials, I don't think I'm missing much.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2013, 10:56:33 pm »

I'd second this. There were moments where I was tempted to pick up a next gen system at launch. But after watching the Awesome Video Games and Giant Bomb launch specials, I don't think I'm missing much.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was pumped for the 360 when it came out. I searched the world for one. This generation, not so much.

I honestly thought this was the time I had given up on gaming. I had finally gotten too old for games. I thought it was the equivalent of my parents VCR blinking 12:00.  Yeah, they have a VCR.

The more folks talk about it, the more I realize there just isn't as much to get excited about.

soera

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2013, 11:10:12 pm »
I am in the agreement here too. Graphics are at the point where improvements are going to be almost unnoticeable. I really dont see much difference in any of the latest gen systems compared to last gen systems other than the silly bonuses such as voice command, touch screen, and share buttons which are all pointless to me. I will eventually get a PS4 and a Wii U when the time comes that the price is too good to refuse and/or that game I just have to have is coming out for it.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2013, 11:55:18 pm »
Of all the new "features" this generation, I really think the WiiU's touchscreen has the most potential. I enjoy the shit out of it.
Voice commands don't work for me. I have a bit of an accent. Apparently no one expected an Arkansan to use Kinect or Siri or automated phone services.
As for all the media stuff that the Xbone will do, I already have a satellite box. Just let me play games.

insektmute

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2013, 12:08:20 am »
I get into these cynical moods about gaming sometimes, but at the same time, I'm not sure what anyone was expecting. New consoles don't usually offer much beyond a bump to the graphics and maybe some slight improvements to the controller...

I disagree on the visual upgrades being unnoticeable, though. Improved processing for physics and particle effects alone makes a huge difference for games that rely heavily on atmosphere and environment, and I'm betting that stuff like Uncharted, The Witcher 3, and Metal Gear Solid V are going to benefit in a big way from that.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2013, 12:53:46 am »
I am in the agreement here too. Graphics are at the point where improvements are going to be almost unnoticeable. I really dont see much difference in any of the latest gen systems compared to last gen systems other than the silly bonuses such as voice command, touch screen, and share buttons which are all pointless to me. I will eventually get a PS4 and a Wii U when the time comes that the price is too good to refuse and/or that game I just have to have is coming out for it.

The one thing graphics could really improve on, is that slick or wet look that graphics have nowadays. If they could do something about that, then modern graphics truly would look realistic.