Author Topic: Secret Santa ...  (Read 3394 times)

soera

Secret Santa ...
« on: November 08, 2013, 09:35:35 am »
You know, Ive gotten to know and talk to a lot of people on these forums. And consider a lot of people here friends and so far havent really dealt with anyone that I dont like or dont trust. With that being said, I was thinking this would be a great place to have a secret Santa. If this is something that would be cool with people, post your interest here.

scott

Re: Secret Santa ...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 09:56:55 am »
I'd possibly be game.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:58:54 am »
Sure!

Give us more details, Brad  8)

As in:

- A set spending-limit of how much $, and

- What/How would we go about getting "paired-up" W/O any/everyone already know who's got who?

Definitely sounds fun/cool though, since we're (the 'regulars') a pretty close-knit group; like you said  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 11:34:58 am »
I'm in.  Who's going to get me something awesome?

pacpix

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 12:10:41 pm »
Sounds fun!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 12:53:09 pm »
I... might be in?

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 12:59:01 pm »
Oo, sounds interesting.

Would the item have to be game-related?  And not sure if there'd have to be a restriction on where the person lives, as someone who lives abroad might be interested, but shipping internationally is $$$.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 01:13:50 pm »
I'd love to guys, but I'm usually broke enough around Christmas between normal Christmas shopping, and my work taking tons of holiday time off (with only Chistmas day and New Year's Day paid). So sorry guys, I'm out on this one.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 01:14:05 pm »
Oo, sounds interesting.

Would the item have to be game-related?  And not sure if there'd have to be a restriction on where the person lives, as someone who lives abroad might be interested, but shipping internationally is $$$.

Good point.

Shouldn't be *that* difficult to pair-up people in like regions/countries with each other - We don't have anyone here that's the *ONLY* member here from any areas; do we?

scott

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 01:16:09 pm »
Foxhack is our sole Mexicano... but he ships and recieves mail via his US address. :)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 01:16:36 pm »
I just wanted to start this as an interest thread. But since everyone seems to have questions, lets see ..

Game related? Doesnt HAVE to be game related. If you are eyeing something else and would love to get it as a gift instead, thats cool.

Location restriction? Thats up to the group as a whole. Most likely if someone is overseas and wants to participate, they are going to have to 1) realize that its going to cost them a few bucks more to ship something and 2) most likely will end up with a bit smaller of a gift if their Santa can only spend the recommended limit. And since I just mentioned it ...

Spending limit? Yeah we will have one. Dont really want to be on the complaining end of someone who bought a $100 gift for their person only to receive a $10 gift in return. I would love to hear some limit suggestions (The one Im doing on Sega8bit.com is $25 limit. I just happened to make my person happy by finding a lot of the stuff on his list a whole lot cheaper than normal so Im filling his gift all the way up. Obviously shipping will need to be part of the limit but if you can squeeze a little more, there is no complaints).

How pairing will happen? I can handle the emails if thats how it goes and do the pairing myself or if someone else wants to do it, thats cool too. We should have a time limit as to how long to sign up and get your name in and a time by when all the gifts should be mailed out. Whoever is in charge of the list should get emails from everyone a few times. First email will be their wish list. Second will be when the item ships. Third will be when they receive their item. Only the person receiving the emails will know who is getting what for who. I dont want the list to be public. That could open a weird can of worms.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 01:20:30 pm »
Foxhack is our sole Mexicano... but he ships and recieves mail via his US address. :)

Yeah + we definitely have members in CA -and- iirc; some even in southern CA...

I also think that we might have another more recent member that's also from Mexico - I remember talking/PM'ing him in Spanish; as he was worried about posting here since, he thought, that his English wasn't very good...I don't remember it really being all that bad, though.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 01:23:01 pm »
I just wanted to start this as an interest thread. But since everyone seems to have questions, lets see ..

Game related? Doesnt HAVE to be game related. If you are eyeing something else and would love to get it as a gift instead, thats cool.

Location restriction? Thats up to the group as a whole. Most likely if someone is overseas and wants to participate, they are going to have to 1) realize that its going to cost them a few bucks more to ship something and 2) most likely will end up with a bit smaller of a gift if their Santa can only spend the recommended limit. And since I just mentioned it ...

Spending limit? Yeah we will have one. Dont really want to be on the complaining end of someone who bought a $100 gift for their person only to receive a $10 gift in return. I would love to hear some limit suggestions (The one Im doing on Sega8bit.com is $25 limit. I just happened to make my person happy by finding a lot of the stuff on his list a whole lot cheaper than normal so Im filling his gift all the way up. Obviously shipping will need to be part of the limit but if you can squeeze a little more, there is no complaints).

How pairing will happen? I can handle the emails if thats how it goes and do the pairing myself or if someone else wants to do it, thats cool too. We should have a time limit as to how long to sign up and get your name in and a time by when all the gifts should be mailed out. Whoever is in charge of the list should get emails from everyone a few times. First email will be their wish list. Second will be when the item ships. Third will be when they receive their item. Only the person receiving the emails will know who is getting what for who. I dont want the list to be public. That could open a weird can of worms.

Good stuff.  I agree.

Now get your sweet, litle ass to work!  :o

soera

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 01:37:43 pm »
Heh I dont mind doing it. Lets see if someone else wants to though!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 01:44:18 pm »
I'd love to guys, but I'm usually broke enough around Christmas between normal Christmas shopping, and my work taking tons of holiday time off (with only Chistmas day and New Year's Day paid). So sorry guys, I'm out on this one.

Okay, I might think about setting aside a little money. The idea of actually getting a game I want, does sound nice.

But I think there should be an implied limit we set. Personally, I try not to spend more than $20-$30 on a game when I shop for myself, and even then I seem to find a lot for closer to $10. I'm afraid a collector with different standards than mine, might get upset that I didn't get him a copy of DuckTales 2 on NES or a brand-new PS3 or 360 game for $60.