Author Topic: Secret Santa ...  (Read 3399 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Secret Santa ...
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 01:50:39 pm »
I just wanted to start this as an interest thread. But since everyone seems to have questions, lets see ..

Game related? Doesnt HAVE to be game related. If you are eyeing something else and would love to get it as a gift instead, thats cool.

Location restriction? Thats up to the group as a whole. Most likely if someone is overseas and wants to participate, they are going to have to 1) realize that its going to cost them a few bucks more to ship something and 2) most likely will end up with a bit smaller of a gift if their Santa can only spend the recommended limit. And since I just mentioned it ...

Spending limit? Yeah we will have one. Dont really want to be on the complaining end of someone who bought a $100 gift for their person only to receive a $10 gift in return. I would love to hear some limit suggestions (The one Im doing on Sega8bit.com is $25 limit. I just happened to make my person happy by finding a lot of the stuff on his list a whole lot cheaper than normal so Im filling his gift all the way up. Obviously shipping will need to be part of the limit but if you can squeeze a little more, there is no complaints).

How pairing will happen? I can handle the emails if thats how it goes and do the pairing myself or if someone else wants to do it, thats cool too. We should have a time limit as to how long to sign up and get your name in and a time by when all the gifts should be mailed out. Whoever is in charge of the list should get emails from everyone a few times. First email will be their wish list. Second will be when the item ships. Third will be when they receive their item. Only the person receiving the emails will know who is getting what for who. I dont want the list to be public. That could open a weird can of worms.

I do have one little question.  Whose going to take care of the guy running the show?  Or is soera the person in charge going to know they're giver?  I'm fine if that's the case, but if I draw soera I will not be held responsible for the dog turd I send him.

foxhack

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 01:52:48 pm »
We should only give cheap items. I wouldn't be expecting anything super new, just a neat gift from anyone who knows what kind of crap I collect.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 01:55:17 pm »
This is a perfect instance where browsing other users collections would be useful. We could just simply look at someone's wishlist to see what they wanted, if we could we could browse collections.

I know, look up a common game and see if they have it, then get through that way. But that's kind of pain in the butt, especially if you've tried 10 times, and the person doesn't have any of those games (I've been through it already).

foxhack

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 02:01:56 pm »
This is a perfect instance where browsing other users collections would be useful. We could just simply look at someone's wishlist to see what they wanted, if we could we could browse collections.

I know, look up a common game and see if they have it, then get through that way. But that's kind of pain in the butt, especially if you've tried 10 times, and the person doesn't have any of those games (I've been through it already).

You do know you can see people's individual collections, wish lists and sell lists by visiting their profile? Just check the collection of whoever you got and see what they want / need.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 02:04:32 pm »

You do know you can see people's individual collections, wish lists and sell lists by visiting their profile? Just check the collection of whoever you got and see what they want / need.

After reading this, I just realized that you simply type their name in the address bar after VGcollect.com/ part.

But I'd still think it would be nice to see a member's list to browse through sometime in the future.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 02:13:44 pm »

After reading this, I just realized that you simply type their name in the address bar after VGcollect.com/ part.

But I'd still think it would be nice to see a member's list to browse through sometime in the future.

Just click-on 'the little pics of the 5 most recent additions thingie...in people's sigs' to easily browse through other's collections :)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 02:31:51 pm »
What I was thinking was a wish list that is basically determined by the price limit. Im sure most people here have a sealed copy of Stadium events on their own personal wish list but if the limit is, say, $30 then thinking that someone is going to send them that copy of SE is silly.

My own wish list on the forums only has items Im super highly interested and most of them would exceed what I see as the price limit. I have other items Id be interested in, however, that arent listed.

The person that is doing the emails and sending out the list will, unfortunately, know who their person is. But whoever it is should be responsible enough to not push their own special "power"!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 02:34:39 pm »
Or maybe we could just send a top 10 wishlist of AFFORDABLE items to our secret santa?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 02:50:12 pm »
How about we 'pick' our own?

I have something (right around a $30 limit (which, I think is fine)) that I *KNOW* would be a great & perfect gift for soera -but- I'm not sure how much others would like it...

Thoughts?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 02:52:43 pm »
Or we could use the newly enabled priorities in the wishlist for this.  Put your Santa Wishlist as your highest priority.

soera

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 02:53:56 pm »
What do you mean pick our own? Like everyone get a list of names and pick who they want to shop for? I would be okay with that. And a $20-30 limit is fine with me. I dont think anyone will be out too much at that point and its enough to make someone else happy for the holidays. Also if you decide you want to spend more, thats cool but be under the impression that the person shopping for you may not be able to do the same.

soera

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 02:57:03 pm »
I guess Im going to start a new thread for the actual list of people who want to participate. Going to give 1 week for everyone to sign up and update their wish list with the Santa items. I guess I can go ahead and be the person who either 1) receives the emails and deals out the assignments or 2) takes the list of names and marks peoples names off and figure out who buys for who.

foxhack

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 03:05:36 pm »

http://vgcollect.com/wishlist/yourfavoriteusernamehere

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 03:56:35 pm »

http://vgcollect.com/wishlist/yourfavoriteusernamehere

I mentioned noticing that, after the initial response I got kind of pointed me towards it.

It may be just because I'm vain, but I'm proud of my collection. I've worked hard on it. It may not be as cool as Gamester81's, but it's cool to me. So I just kind of like the thought of it being open and searchable for others to see.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 04:24:33 pm »
What do you mean pick our own? Like everyone get a list of names and pick who they want to shop for? I would be okay with that. And a $20-30 limit is fine with me. I dont think anyone will be out too much at that point and its enough to make someone else happy for the holidays. Also if you decide you want to spend more, thats cool but be under the impression that the person shopping for you may not be able to do the same.

I mean that, since many of us know each other's tastes pretty well...that - if someone has/knows about something that "has _____'s name on it"; that they should just be able to step-up & say that: "I've got _____ covered".

Doesn't necessarily mean that those 2 need to reciprocate, though  8)