Author Topic: Current Collection Goals?  (Read 15978 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Current Collection Goals?
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2014, 12:59:51 am »
For my personal collection purposes, I don't see the point in owning duplicates.

I agree with this. Which is why I dont own the SNES version of Chrono Trigger, the Genesis versions of Phantasy star series, etc.

Soera, do you play the Chrono Trigger that came in the PS1 compilation? Or is there a better version than that one even?

I think the DS version is the cheapest, and it has sweet cutscenes added.

soera

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2014, 01:58:13 am »
I didnt even know there was a DS version.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2014, 02:00:09 am »
Thats the version I have. Its not any different from the SNES version except for the price. :)

According to Wikipedia neither the DS nor the PS1 release are unaltered ports. Both have new cut scenes, additional endings, and extra content!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Trigger#PlayStation_and_PlayStation_Network_release

Looks like I'm picking up the DS or PS version. DS has the most enhancements but I'll probably go with the PS one so I can play on the TV.

soera

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2014, 03:00:04 am »
Just quoted this part :

The port was later released in North America in 2001—along with a newly translated version of Final Fantasy IV—under the package title Final Fantasy Chronicles. Reviewers criticized Chronicles for lengthy load times and an absence of new in-game features.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2014, 03:03:21 am »
Just quoted this part :

The port was later released in North America in 2001—along with a newly translated version of Final Fantasy IV—under the package title Final Fantasy Chronicles. Reviewers criticized Chronicles for lengthy load times and an absence of new in-game features.

The article is inconsistent though because the first half of that same paragraph says:

"Square released an enhanced port of Chrono Trigger developed by Tose in Japan for the Sony PlayStation in 1999. Square timed its release before that of Chrono Cross, the 1999 sequel to Chrono Trigger, to familiarize new players with story leading up to it.[42] This version included anime cut scenes created by original character designer Akira Toriyama's Bird Studio and animated by Toei Animation, as well as several bonus features, accessible after achieving various endings in the game. Scenarist Masato Kato attended planning meetings at Bird Studio to discuss how the ending cut scenes would illustrate subtle ties to Chrono Cross."

soera

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2014, 03:20:45 am »
Must be the Japanese version of the PS1 game. :(

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2014, 03:46:13 am »

According to this the US version has a gallery and beastiary guide after you beat it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Chronicles

It also claims it has new animated cut scenes.

Did yours not have these?

Not trying to beat a dead horse I just want to buy the right version of the game once. :)

bobster

« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2014, 08:18:20 am »

According to this the US version has a gallery and beastiary guide after you beat it.

Not trying to beat a dead horse I just want to buy the right version of the game once. :)
The PS1 version had the animated cutscenes. I do want to warn you though, the load times on the PS1 version were really atrocious. I'm talking every time you open the menu you wait for a while. It was bad. The DS version is the definitive version from my perspective. It added something like 3 more dungeons plus a whole new ending that weren't in even the PS1 version.

I can definitely understand the appeal of playing on the TV though. I just use the SNES version for that :D
Currently Playing: The Witcher

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2014, 12:32:58 pm »

The PS1 version had the animated cutscenes. I do want to warn you though, the load times on the PS1 version were really atrocious. I'm talking every time you open the menu you wait for a while. It was bad. The DS version is the definitive version from my perspective. It added something like 3 more dungeons plus a whole new ending that weren't in even the PS1 version.

I can definitely understand the appeal of playing on the TV though. I just use the SNES version for that :D

How is the loading when playing on the PS3? :) Since you can set it to fast load for PS1 games?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2014, 12:58:23 pm »
I'd recommend getting the Wii Virtual Console version of Chrono Trigger.

It's just the SNES version. But no load times like the PS1 version, you can play it on a T.V. rather than the cramped screen of a handheld, and you can save your game anywhere, even in the middle of a battle, thanks to VC's save system.

And it's probably the cheapest version.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:58:43 pm by burningdoom »

bobster

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2014, 01:38:51 pm »

How is the loading when playing on the PS3? :) Since you can set it to fast load for PS1 games?
I've never heard of this fast load for PS3. Is it just in the settings somewhere?

If I remember tonight, I'll pop it in and see what the difference is like.

soera

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2014, 02:26:50 pm »
I havent heard of that either.

bobster

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2014, 02:27:51 pm »
I havent heard of that either.
It looks legit from forum posts I found, but no one mentions how to enable it. Just that some games have issues if you enable it.

argyle

« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2014, 03:26:12 pm »
Just tap the Playstation button while you're in the PSOne game, it will bring up a menu and that should be one of the options. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

soera

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2014, 03:30:01 pm »
Everything is awesome!

Including that ... I will have to try it out now.