Author Topic: Your 10/10 Games?  (Read 7987 times)

Re: Your 10/10 Games?
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2019, 04:12:05 pm »
For me, I'd have to say Persona 3 and Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War.
While P3 was not my first megaten game (That distinction belongs to P1), it was a game I binge-played which is something I almost never do. I fell in love with the story, atmosphere, music and characters (most of them anyway). I have played it several times and each time was a blast. The game really resonated with me. Shout-out to the Japanese cover of vanilla P3 which is my favorite P3 cover.
For FE4, this is one game that I had known of for most of my life but hadn't actually played it until more recently. My brother really liked it and he told me all sorts of things about it, including some big plot twists. In his defense he never thought I'd play it and I didn't think I would either. There was an adjustment because I was used to the GBA FEs at that point and FE4 is much older so it's only natural that it plays differently. The music is some of Yuka Tsujiyoko's best and dare I say among the best in the series. I really love the story and characters too. I've played this game all the way through several times as well and each playthrough is a brand new adventure of excitement and frustration.

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2019, 04:38:35 pm »
It's very hard for me to think of a 10/10 game.  Like I don't know if I would consider any of my favorite games 10/10, because it's not about whether the game is perfect, it's about how much I enjoy the game.  Brutal Legend is a top 10 game of all time for me, but that's absolutely a 7/10 quality experience, but it appeals to me so specifically, that I love it.  Breath of the Wild is one of my favorite Zelda games, but I have issues with it and would never consider it a 10/10 game.

I can only think of a couple older retro games that would fit into that 10/10 realm I think, because at the time, they were kinda the pinnacle of what they were and still hold up just as well now as they did back then.

Super Mario World
A Link to the Past
Mega Man X

I could maybe add a couple more, but to me the SNES era kinda perfected those series that came out of the NES era.  I might come back to this later as I might also add Banjo-Kazooie and maybe one or two others.

Also to note, those 3 top 10 games I listed, I wouldn't count as my personal top 10 games of all time lol This kind of stuff gets abit complicated for me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:38:19 pm by kamikazekeeg »

telly

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2019, 04:40:45 pm »
Yeah, I think for a game to be 10/10 it has to be absolutely flawless, and I don't think there's a single game in my top ten that hits that. No game has been a completely perfect experience for me.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

pzeke

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2019, 06:00:25 pm »
You know, I get what some of you say with there not being a perfect, flawless game out there. Sure, opinions vary, but I can agree with that sentiment given the context. Still, I believe you could give yourself some credit and make a list based on criteria of what to YOU a 10/10 game is. Drakengard is by no means a perfect game, but it has some of the qualities that to ME make it a 10/10 game: story, gameplay, design, music. This game wasn't that well received, and many even ridiculed it and lambasted it for its rather taboo themes, but it ended up gaining a cult following, not to mention sequels and spin-offs.

What I'm trying to say is don't take the 10/10 literally; throw the notion that there isn't a 10/10 game and think outside the box.

Just my two coins, of course.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2019, 06:28:51 pm »
I don't view 10/10 as "perfect" myself, because there's nothing that is perfect or flawless.  Even the best possible games of all time have flaws.  To me, it's just about all around quality, entertainment, gameplay, and how it mixes together.  Like the original Zelda on NES is a Top 10 game, but I wouldn't consider it a 10/10, while A Link to the Past is a 10/10, but not on my Top list.

To me, a 10/10 is just that every part of the game is home run, even if it has some tiny issues here or there.  Because of that, I'm more critical about a game, than I would be if I just loved the heck out of it and placed it in my Top 10 list.  My Top 10 is just about pure emotional love for a game.

pzeke

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2019, 06:55:59 pm »
I don't view 10/10 as "perfect" myself, because there's nothing that is perfect or flawless.  Even the best possible games of all time have flaws.  To me, it's just about all around quality, entertainment, gameplay, and how it mixes together.  Like the original Zelda on NES is a Top 10 game, but I wouldn't consider it a 10/10, while A Link to the Past is a 10/10, but not on my Top list.

To me, a 10/10 is just that every part of the game is home run, even if it has some tiny issues here or there.  Because of that, I'm more critical about a game, than I would be if I just loved the heck out of it and placed it in my Top 10 list.  My Top 10 is just about pure emotional love for a game.

Well. there, that's what I mean.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2019, 10:58:14 pm »
A 10/10 is a very, very rare thing I'd give a game, but there are certainly 3 that meet that criteria:

Shenmue
Shenmue II
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

That is literally it. I've played some outstanding games, but these are literally the only 3 that I'd consider perfect.

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2019, 06:05:26 am »
The game that always comes to mind is Silent Hill 2, I really feel that game perfected the genre. Much like how Psycho is legendary within the Film industry I will always view Silent Hill 2 in the same way for delivering a really immersive experience. The symbology put into the art direction, the pitch perfect sound design and the messages behind James journey into the town is just beyond anything I have experienced within other games. There are many games I like, but I sincerely consider Silent Hill 2 a masterpiece... which makes the PS3/360 Botch job all the more painful!

kashell

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2019, 08:04:33 am »
On another forum, I hold a Rate The Game topic where users score a game 1 through 10. The description for 10/10 on there is, "Incredible, one of the very best I've ever played."

So, these are the games that fulfill that criteria.

SaGa Frontier
Spirit Hunter: NG
Valkyrie Profile
Mega Man X4
Legaia 2: Duel Saga
Final Fantasy Tactics

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2019, 02:12:40 pm »
Yeah, I think for a game to be 10/10 it has to be absolutely flawless, and I don't think there's a single game in my top ten that hits that. No game has been a completely perfect experience for me.

This is exactly the problem I have when considering a 10/10; very few games in my personal top 10 meet that standard, and some NOT in my personal top 10 do.

Here’s some of the VERY few I can think of:
Shadow of the Colossus
Mega Man 2
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Final Fantasy VI
Bioshock Infinite (some may disagree with this one, but it’s the perfect game to me, when taking all aspects into account)
Shinobi 3 (the ultimate platform action game, with just the right amount of difficulty)

There’s a few legendary games I would not give a 10/10 due to minor flaws...
Castlevania SOTN? Too many useless items/weapons, and too easy
Turtles in Time? I was always disappointed by the animation of the SNES game...could have been a LOT better. The animation in Hyperstone Heist blows away TMNT IV.
Skyrim? Too many bugs

telly

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2019, 04:06:11 pm »
We just all have different definitions of what a 10/10 game looks like, that's all.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2019, 11:05:52 pm »
A 10/10 game. Is there such a thing?  I think I might name a few that are perfect.

Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Metroid
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Red Dead Redemption
Grand Theft Auto V

I know it’s Nintendo heavy, but I think they make the best games.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:08:39 pm by turf »

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2019, 01:09:59 am »
Super Castlevania IV
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Chrono Trigger
Metal Gear Solid
Soul Calibur
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
F-Zero GX
Metroid Prime
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)
Red Dead Redemption
Enter the Gungeon
Sine Mora EX
Under Night In-Birth: EXE [late] st

That’s it. That’s the list, but if you wanted it could be further condensed into just the following:

Chrono Trigger
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2019, 03:08:18 pm »
I have a loose standard I suppose. A 10/10 for me is just a game I thoroughly enjoy from start to finish, despite potential flaws. The kind of game I don't want to put down and the kind I can't wait to pick back up. This year they were the following:

Astral Chain
Resident Evil 4
Luigi's Mansion 1 & 3

Last year had some winners too:

Okami
GRIS
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate/World
Metroid Prime II: Echoes
Final Fantasy IV

I probably had lots more 6-9's, and I generally don't bother with 5>.

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2019, 03:28:38 am »
Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2, The Sims 2, Donkey Kong Country trilogy, Mass Effect trilogy, Watch Dogs 1 and 2, Uncharted serie, GTA SA/4/5, The Last of us, Heavy Rain