Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 4216 times)

90snostalga

Skyrim
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:12:02 pm »
Trying to find the first Skyrim game to play, I see there are several ones and some elder scrolls mixed with it or something very confusing.  What is the first Skyrim game?  Thanks for any responses.

soera

Re: Skyrim
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:15:44 pm »
Elder scrolls is the series. Skyrim is the latest version.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 11:36:11 pm »
Soera: dropping knowledge like a boss.

This is the place to come with your game questions. We'll handle that noise.

Game questions. None of that technical mumbo jumbo. We be talking games up in here. Titles are also acceptable.  Tech Specs are better left to those that care/know about numbers.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 11:56:04 pm »
If you're trying to collect the numbered Elder Scrolls games of the series, they recently released Elder Scrolls: Anthology for the PC a few months ago.  The collection also includes all of the applicable expansion packs/downloadable content.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

bobster

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 12:38:55 am »
There was elder scrolls (I think that was all the first one was named) then came elderscrolls II: Daggerfall. I believe those were both PC only. After that was Elderscrolls III: Morrowind. That was PC and Xbox (the original xbox). Then came Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion (PC and xbox 360?). Then Elderscrolls V: Skyrim.

I started from Morrowind on and was satisfied with just those lol. Tried daggerfall and it was just too old school of a PC game for me.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

pacpix

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 01:07:07 am »
The main series goes in this order:
1. Elder Scrolls: Arena
2. Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
3. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
4. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
5. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Their is also a few spinoffs:
Elder Scrolls: Battlespire
Elder Scrolls: Redguard
Elder Scrolls: Travels (Released for the N-Gage)
Elder Scrolls Online (Not yet released)

You can download Arena and Daggerfall for free from the official website, but I recommend using Arena Setup and Daggerfall Setup because getting these games set up in DOSbox is a lot of work.  I have not played Daggerfall much, but I did enjoy the time I spent playing Arena,  I gave up after the second dungeon though as it was very clunky, difficult, and was requiring more time than I cared to spend on it back when I played it.  The only other game I have played is Oblivion and I really like it.  I have not spent a whole lot of time in it, but I completed the Dark Brotherhood campaign and it was awesome.

I would take MJMaranan's advice and purchase The Elder Scrolls Anthology since it has all of the games from the main series.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

soera

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 01:10:27 am »
I enjoyed Morrowind. I played that bastard so much its what caused my girl who sold all my game collection off while I was at work one day to do so. I also have Oblivion and Skyrim. Step son has played both and prefers Oblivion a lot. Skyrim apparently has weird bugs that have never been worked out.

90snostalga

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 01:27:07 am »

Game questions. None of that technical mumbo jumbo. We be talking games up in here. Titles are also acceptable.  Tech Specs are better left to those that care/know about numbers.

What the heck??   lol

This don't mean I ask too many questions does it?  ???
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:37:21 am by 90snostalga »

90snostalga

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 01:28:08 am »
There was elder scrolls (I think that was all the first one was named) then came elderscrolls II: Daggerfall. I believe those were both PC only. After that was Elderscrolls III: Morrowind. That was PC and Xbox (the original xbox). Then came Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion (PC and xbox 360?). Then Elderscrolls V: Skyrim.

I started from Morrowind on and was satisfied with just those lol. Tried daggerfall and it was just too old school of a PC game for me.

Should I go straight to the ps3 versions or start with Morrowind for the original xbox?  I just don't want to begin with the newer one's and miss out on some epic story.

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 01:30:18 am »

I would take MJMaranan's advice and purchase The Elder Scrolls Anthology since it has all of the games from the main series.

I may have to do this.  I would just have to wait to get a gaming pc or laptop

htimreimer

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 04:17:39 am »
You can download Arena and Daggerfall for free from the official website, but I recommend using Arena Setup and Daggerfall Setup because getting these games set up in DOSbox is a lot of work.
that's a bit of an understatement, arena and daggerfall are so poorly programmed that getting them running on a old system let alone new one is almost impossible and even when you do get them running they constantly CTD

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 07:47:49 am »

What the heck??   lol

This don't mean I ask too many questions does it?  ???

It is 100% meaningless. I was just being silly and running my head. Keep asking your questions.  How else do you learn?

pacpix

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 12:37:41 pm »
You can download Arena and Daggerfall for free from the official website, but I recommend using Arena Setup and Daggerfall Setup because getting these games set up in DOSbox is a lot of work.
that's a bit of an understatement, arena and daggerfall are so poorly programmed that getting them running on a old system let alone new one is almost impossible and even when you do get them running they constantly CTD
Yeah definitely I spent a few hours trying to install them.  If you use the Arena Setup and Daggerfall Setup files though everything is done automatically and you just have to click the executable.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 02:19:39 pm »
Should I go straight to the ps3 versions or start with Morrowind for the original xbox?  I just don't want to begin with the newer one's and miss out on some epic story.

As much as I love The Elder Scrolls Series, you don't really need to play all of them as it's not like your choices will impact the next installment or need to finish the previous to understand the next game's events.  All of the stories are pretty epic considering that you always start out as a prisoner of fate.  What happens next is basically up to you.  Whether you follow the storyline, take a different path such as joining a guild or murdering everyone, or buy/steal a house and hoard loot.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 02:40:36 pm »

As much as I love The Elder Scrolls Series, you don't really need to play all of them as it's not like your choices will impact the next installment or need to finish the previous to understand the next game's events.  All of the stories are pretty epic considering that you always start out as a prisoner of fate.  What happens next is basically up to you.  Whether you follow the storyline, take a different path such as joining a guild or murdering everyone, or buy/steal a house and hoard loot.

And as long as you're invested in each Elder Scrolls game, you actually want a break from such an involving game after finishing playing it. So playing them back-to-back like that would get you pretty burnt out on them, probably.

I never played the first 2 games. I tried a while back on my XP machine when Bethesda offered them free on the website at first, and it was such a pain in the butt to figure out how to get them to work on my system I gave up.

But before that, I had played Morrowind first anyways, on Original Xbox. And it absolutely amazed me with how large and at the same time detailed the world was. I loved the sense of exploration.

That said, I'd still suggest starting with Oblivion on PC, PS3, or Xbox 360. It's such a huge step-up from Morrowind and really is when the series hit it's stride. To tell the truth, after the initial wow-factor wears off of Morrowind (which in today's day and age playing it for the first time probably won't wow you), it gets pretty dang repetitive.