Author Topic: Who else hates GameStop??!!  (Read 2993 times)

90snostalga

Who else hates GameStop??!!
« on: December 22, 2013, 08:14:21 pm »
I am very livid with GameStop and not sure if I am the only one.  If I am being ridiculous, please let me know if you think so.   When I got my ps3 last week from GameStop, that was the first time I went to gamestop literally in 2 years.  Here is a list of some of my issues and why I hate them:

*  About 3 years ago I went to gamestop to buy a ps2 game and the cashier took like 7 minutes to check me out because they kept trying to sell me some 360 game.  I told them no to the game about 3 times and as soon as I said I'm leaving, she finally rung up my transaction

*  The last time I went about maybe 2 1/2 years ago, they were discounting out ps2 games.  I asked the guy if they had a specific ps2 game in stock and he literally asked "You actually still play the ps2?"  I told him yes I do, all the time.  And then he actually laughed at me and told me that I should not tell any one that I play ps2 games and that I need a ps3 to be with the program.  I told him "F*** you" and left the store immediately.

*  When I got my ps3 last week, my wife got her a white xbox for 79.99 and a kinect for 39.99 on sale for her to use.  When we got home, the controller was missing a piece that you put two AA batteries in so we could not even turn on the controller.  She only got it to play work out and Zumba games on the Kinect.  We tried using it without the controller and it said we had to do an update.  Well, that xbox does not have built in wireless so we could not do an update.  Next day, we went back to our closest gamestop down the street, and they said that they would have to charge us 19.99 for a new battery and charger for the controller.  We said screw that and asked about the update and they said they can not do it for told us to go back to the original gamestop we bought the xbox 360 from.

So we went to the original (called first) and the guy said he would be 100 percent sure we got a working controller and the update installed from the store's wifi.  He did get us a controller but then asked where is the xbox hard drive.  Which the 79.99 do not come with a hard drive.  He said he would have to have a hard drive because 4 gb is not enough to save the update.  I asked him if he was sure that an update would take 4 gb over, and he said yes sir it would take 10 gb to save the update.  He said we could bring him a flash drive or blank cd and he would put it on there.  We ended up using a flash drive to save the update and guess what, it took no more than 2 MB's to save the update! 

*  Today, I went to gamestop to buy "sleeping dogs" for the ps3 and it said "new" while on the shelf.  Get to the register and she slides open the drawer and pulls out an envelop with the disc.  I asked her where was the brand new copy and she said "right here".  I said "no, this is already opened and does not even contain a manual"  She said "sir, I assure you this is new and never used"  I said "so, that means is not new.  it's an open item.  I asked her to sell it to me used and she said they cannot do that.  I asked her "how do i know some one did not trade in a used copy of it, and you are trying to sell it as new?"  she responded direct quote "I guess you won't know sir.  If you don't want the game what else can I help you with?"  I stormed out pissed!!!!

Any one else have horrible experience with gamestop?  Am I being to dramatic and should not have a reason to be upset?  Please provide your personal feedback.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: Who else hates GameStop??!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 08:53:03 pm »
The only problem I've ever had at gamestop was with Xenoblade Chronicles Artbook because When I picked up my Pre-order the books weren't in at the time, however that could have been a shipping problem so the cashier took my cell # and called me later when the book came in.

other than that I've seen a guy get thrown out of a Gamestop after he started cursing out the manager for not being able to return a controller a week after the the return policy expired.

otherwise other than having a problem with certain policies about cases for used games, I'm one of the few who has never had a problem at gamestop.

scott

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:08:40 am »
The only problem I have with GameStop is that they open their New games and then force you to buy them unsealed. Its super annoying.

But if I'm looking for used current gen titles, I'll hit up GameStop first. I've gotten some good deals on used games there, especially when it's buy 2 get 1 or something.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 09:10:31 am »
you arent the first one with those problems, go to youtube and type "gamestop rant" and you will find a bunch of videos telling the same thing you told here. Also, if they sold you a broken controller, doesnt matter if was the battery cover, they need to replace it for a working one. ABout the update, if you are connecting the kinect it need to update your console in order to read it, you can download the latest update from the official xbox website and save it on a usb or cd. I dont know if with that will solve the kinect update but give it a try. I know that you cant create a account with the internal memory but for a update is a lie because I repaired some xbox back in the day and I always updated them  without any issue.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 09:54:25 am »
I am very livid with GameStop and not sure if I am the only one.  If I am being ridiculous, please let me know if you think so.   When I got my ps3 last week from GameStop, that was the first time I went to gamestop literally in 2 years.  Here is a list of some of my issues and why I hate them:

*  About 3 years ago I went to gamestop to buy a ps2 game and the cashier took like 7 minutes to check me out because they kept trying to sell me some 360 game.  I told them no to the game about 3 times and as soon as I said I'm leaving, she finally rung up my transaction

*  The last time I went about maybe 2 1/2 years ago, they were discounting out ps2 games.  I asked the guy if they had a specific ps2 game in stock and he literally asked "You actually still play the ps2?"  I told him yes I do, all the time.  And then he actually laughed at me and told me that I should not tell any one that I play ps2 games and that I need a ps3 to be with the program.  I told him "F*** you" and left the store immediately.

*  When I got my ps3 last week, my wife got her a white xbox for 79.99 and a kinect for 39.99 on sale for her to use.  When we got home, the controller was missing a piece that you put two AA batteries in so we could not even turn on the controller.  She only got it to play work out and Zumba games on the Kinect.  We tried using it without the controller and it said we had to do an update.  Well, that xbox does not have built in wireless so we could not do an update.  Next day, we went back to our closest gamestop down the street, and they said that they would have to charge us 19.99 for a new battery and charger for the controller.  We said screw that and asked about the update and they said they can not do it for told us to go back to the original gamestop we bought the xbox 360 from.

So we went to the original (called first) and the guy said he would be 100 percent sure we got a working controller and the update installed from the store's wifi.  He did get us a controller but then asked where is the xbox hard drive.  Which the 79.99 do not come with a hard drive.  He said he would have to have a hard drive because 4 gb is not enough to save the update.  I asked him if he was sure that an update would take 4 gb over, and he said yes sir it would take 10 gb to save the update.  He said we could bring him a flash drive or blank cd and he would put it on there.  We ended up using a flash drive to save the update and guess what, it took no more than 2 MB's to save the update! 

*  Today, I went to gamestop to buy "sleeping dogs" for the ps3 and it said "new" while on the shelf.  Get to the register and she slides open the drawer and pulls out an envelop with the disc.  I asked her where was the brand new copy and she said "right here".  I said "no, this is already opened and does not even contain a manual"  She said "sir, I assure you this is new and never used"  I said "so, that means is not new.  it's an open item.  I asked her to sell it to me used and she said they cannot do that.  I asked her "how do i know some one did not trade in a used copy of it, and you are trying to sell it as new?"  she responded direct quote "I guess you won't know sir.  If you don't want the game what else can I help you with?"  I stormed out pissed!!!!

Any one else have horrible experience with gamestop?  Am I being to dramatic and should not have a reason to be upset?  Please provide your personal feedback.

As a big fan of telling those who deserve to be told to "Fuck Off/Go Fuck yourself"...

...I can not help but to applaud your taking a stance  ;D

Personally, I only use GS for:

(1)  GS gift cards,

(2)  B2G2 (or better) sales, and

(3)  pre-orders where I don't have to worry about them doing me the favor of opening my items for me  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 10:16:46 am »
Ive only had limited actual horrible experiences with Gamestop. When I have to buy something from there, however, I skip the closest store to the house cause its the one Ive had all the issues with. I drive an additional 10 miles to go to another store where the employees have been nothing but really nice to me and hooked me up numerous times (one time they ordered all 4 skylander sidekicks for me from different locations and held them in the back for me to pick up for free, another time the manager put back a copy of Xenoblade for a week so that I can pick it up on Black Friday for the $39.99 price and even gave me a sealed WiiU game to go with it, and yet another time one of the guys I talked to alot knew I was into MK so when the displays were taken down, he actually went to their dumpster and pulled them both out, gave me a call and held them in his car for 3-4 days till I could get there to pick them up).

My complaint about Gamestop is that, more often than not, they are trying to sell pre-orders and conserving space vs helping someone out. Sadly, its not the baseline employee that has anything to do with it as Ive talked to a few of them and they are required to get a certain amount of pre-orders or they will simply get fired. And the company themselves would rather throw something in the trash than show favoritism to someone by giving them something they were going to throw out. I was actively looking for a Baldur's gate Dark Alliance II manual for a while. I found one and they said they refuse to separate it from the game. A few weeks later, it was separated and I asked what happened and they said they tossed all the manuals to save space on the shelves. I mentioned that I tried to buy it a few weeks earlier and was told thats not their policy.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 10:21:21 am »
I guess it varies from store to store, but I'm a fan out my local GameStop.  They've help me find games a few times.  The dude in there hunted me down a Scarlet Ninjini for Skylanders Giants.  They are a lot of help. 

Now, other than finding hard to find games I don't have much use for them.  I don't care much about most of the preorder bonuses.  I buy most of my new games from Amazon.

90snostalga

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 12:51:39 pm »
The only problem I have with GameStop is that they open their New games and then force you to buy them unsealed. Its super annoying.

Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I guess what made me even more mad last night is the cashier kept trying to convince me the copy was new when it an opened game without a manual.

90snostalga

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 12:52:17 pm »
you arent the first one with those problems, go to youtube and type "gamestop rant" and you will find a bunch of videos telling the same thing you told here. Also, if they sold you a broken controller, doesnt matter if was the battery cover, they need to replace it for a working one. ABout the update, if you are connecting the kinect it need to update your console in order to read it, you can download the latest update from the official xbox website and save it on a usb or cd. I dont know if with that will solve the kinect update but give it a try. I know that you cant create a account with the internal memory but for a update is a lie because I repaired some xbox back in the day and I always updated them  without any issue.

We got the update done with a flash drive. 

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 12:55:15 pm »

As a big fan of telling those who deserve to be told to "Fuck Off/Go Fuck yourself"...

...I can not help but to applaud your taking a stance  ;D

(3)  pre-orders where I don't have to worry about them doing me the favor of opening my items for me  8)

Yea it was crazy.  He sat there and made fun of me because I still played the ps2 in 2011.  I even told him that I mainly play retro games anyway and he thought that was the funniest thing in the world.   It really pissed me off.  But I just don't understand their new game policy.  I assume from reading the comments here, that every game stop opens new games and considers them still "new".  What a shame

90snostalga

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 01:01:00 pm »
Ive only had limited actual horrible experiences with Gamestop. When I have to buy something from there, however, I skip the closest store to the house cause its the one Ive had all the issues with. I drive an additional 10 miles to go to another store where the employees have been nothing but really nice to me and hooked me up numerous times (one time they ordered all 4 skylander sidekicks for me from different locations and held them in the back for me to pick up for free, another time the manager put back a copy of Xenoblade for a week so that I can pick it up on Black Friday for the $39.99 price and even gave me a sealed WiiU game to go with it, and yet another time one of the guys I talked to alot knew I was into MK so when the displays were taken down, he actually went to their dumpster and pulled them both out, gave me a call and held them in his car for 3-4 days till I could get there to pick them up).

My complaint about Gamestop is that, more often than not, they are trying to sell pre-orders and conserving space vs helping someone out. Sadly, its not the baseline employee that has anything to do with it as Ive talked to a few of them and they are required to get a certain amount of pre-orders or they will simply get fired. And the company themselves would rather throw something in the trash than show favoritism to someone by giving them something they were going to throw out. I was actively looking for a Baldur's gate Dark Alliance II manual for a while. I found one and they said they refuse to separate it from the game. A few weeks later, it was separated and I asked what happened and they said they tossed all the manuals to save space on the shelves. I mentioned that I tried to buy it a few weeks earlier and was told thats not their policy.

I'm glad they've hooked you up :)  I seen them throwing away ads and displays last week in the store.  they were boxing them to bring out back to the trash.  I should have went and picked them up.  But I understand the employees have to sell pre-orders, but from working in sales for over 6 years, If I customer tells me "NO" twice, I leave it alone.  I hate being harrassed over and over about buying something.  Gamestop should re-evaluate their policies.   Years ago when some new Call of duty was coming out, an employee immediately as soon as I walked into a store came to me and asked if I wanted to reserve it.  I told him no.  and he asked again another 3 times.  I told him that I came there looking for ps2 games not new generation and he simply just walked away and did not even look at me again.  When I had them search for a ps2 game, he referred me to the other guy working there.  He was so mad I did not want to reserve some new gen game that I did not even have a console to play it on lol.  It's amazing to me how that works.

scott

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 01:11:26 pm »

Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I guess what made me even more mad last night is the cashier kept trying to convince me the copy was new when it an opened game without a manual.

Not all new games come with manuals anymore.

soera

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 01:30:05 pm »
I dislike the "open new" policy they have too but that again is a corporation choice.

scott

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 07:40:10 pm »
So here's my question... If you hate GameStop so much, why don't you go to a different store to buy new games? You can get new PS3 games all over the place, from Best Buy to Walmart. If they piss you off, why not just go do your business elsewhere?

90snostalga

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 09:16:37 pm »
So here's my question... If you hate GameStop so much, why don't you go to a different store to buy new games? You can get new PS3 games all over the place, from Best Buy to Walmart. If they piss you off, why not just go do your business elsewhere?

Great question.  I don't use them much.  As stated in my first post, this was the first time I even visited them in 3 years.  Other reason, when I went in the other night, I was specifically looking for "sleeping dogs" for the ps3.  My local wal mart does not have it and Best buy is too far away from me.  Other than game stop and wal mart, there is nothing else in close driving distance.  Furthermore, the only reason I got my ps3 from there, is because I wanted the specific 500gb gta 5 edition and my game stop was the only one that had it available.  And they only had one available and that's all.   Wal mart's online stock was even "out of stock"  so I had no choice but to go to gamestop and I had to get it that day as a christmas gift from a family member in town.    I just started the post because I was wondering if any one else thought the "new" game policy is bogus or had any problems. 

But technically, I do my business elsewhere.  Other than that ps3 and few games, that's all I've bought from GameStop since like 2006.  Per the "Sleeping Dogs" game, I do plan on getting it at my wal mart if they ever get it in stock again, or if I ride with some one else go is driving out again, I can go to best buy, target and some other main retailers.    Make sense?