Author Topic: Console You Were Excited About, But Then Dissappointed When You Got It  (Read 2316 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Sega CD for me.

Sonic CD was good, but I could get that on Sonic Gems. The RPGs were out of my price range. And the shoot-em ups, while good, weren't as good as a lot on other systems (except for the stellar Lords of Thunder, but the TG-CD version has a better soundtrack). The FMV games were a good laugh for a minute, but they got old real fast. My Sega CD really just collected a lot of dust most of the time, until it finally stopped reading discs.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:20:11 pm by burningdoom »

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

Re: Console You Were Excited About, But Then Dissappointed When You Got It
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 05:47:02 pm »
Nintendo Wii.

Bought the damned system thinking it would help my mom get to be a little more active, maybe find some games I might enjoy.

NOPE!

To be fair, Mom wasn't feeling well to begin with.  At least she got a few kicks out of it.  On the games front, I only found 4 games I would enjoy.  The other systems I own, I'm still finding some awesome games that I have yet to play or didn't get to collect because I didn't have the money at around the time of release.  I also hated the Wii Remote and Nunchuck.  To get the "Classic Controller," I had to shell out more money and some games aren't even compatible with the Gamecube controller.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

sin2beta

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:04:51 pm »
Atari 2600. It was in the mid 90s. We were at an outlet mall that had a bunch of atari 2600s with 40 new games. And they were selling them for something like 50 bucks. All brand new. Honestly it was a good deal. But the Atari was just before my time. I didn't get on with it. And 50 dollars was a lot for me (I was around 14 and been saving for a while). I immediately had buyers remorse.

Looking back, I actually kind of wish I kept it. Every once in a while I want to get into atari collecting.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:13:55 pm »
Doesn't really need to be said, but the OUYA!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 07:59:47 pm »
Sega CD for me as well. I found a copy of Robo Aleste complete for $20 at a game store, and being a huge fan of Musha I wanted to play it so badly. I eventually found a Sega CD with the Genesis for $50 at another game store, however after playing Robo Aleste (which is not nearly as good as Musha imo) and some of the other games for the console I sort of felt like it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. The real kicker was when I researched the console's library and realized there was only about 15 games I really wanted for it. All well, it's still cool to have I guess.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 10:17:25 pm »

I can't believe how they are still $99 everywhere I see them.  Didn't anyone tell them it was a flop?  Can I please pick one up for cheapity cheap now?

For my disappointing console: the Game.com.  It was a neat idea, it had some basic PDA functionality.  I bought it new, returned it twice because it kept bricking itself, then eventually they just gave me store credit.

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 11:48:42 pm »

I can't believe how they are still $99 everywhere I see them.  Didn't anyone tell them it was a flop?  Can I please pick one up for cheapity cheap now?

For my disappointing console: the Game.com.  It was a neat idea, it had some basic PDA functionality.  I bought it new, returned it twice because it kept bricking itself, then eventually they just gave me store credit.

I wish I could do that for my Ouya, but I got it straight from the Kickstarter campaign...  Lesson learned!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

pacpix

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 01:22:13 am »
Atari 2600. It was in the mid 90s. We were at an outlet mall that had a bunch of atari 2600s with 40 new games. And they were selling them for something like 50 bucks. All brand new. Honestly it was a good deal. But the Atari was just before my time. I didn't get on with it. And 50 dollars was a lot for me (I was around 14 and been saving for a while). I immediately had buyers remorse.

Looking back, I actually kind of wish I kept it. Every once in a while I want to get into atari collecting.

For me I did not really enjoy playing Atari until I purchased a huge lot of games.  I was born into the N64/GC era so arcade gaming is not usually as appealing to me as a game that has an ending is.  With the large collection I was able to swap games often which made it less repetitive and more fun to play.  Plus the crazy amount of weird/bad 2600 games that helped lead to the crash make the system fun to collect for.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

blipcs76

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 10:12:34 am »
I've always been a big fan of the underdogs, so in the early 90's I got a Lynx and TG-16.  Both were very capable consoles, but suffered from a severe lack of 3rd party support.  Nearly everything on those systems were created by Atari or NEC/Hudson.

That's my biggest concern about the Wii U.  I need it for Nintendo's first-party games, but I fear that 3rd party support is going to vanish as the 360/PS3 generation comes to a close.  Hopefully they can get more support after the strong holiday sales they received and more systems move when Mario Kart and Smash Bros. hit later this year.

soera

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 12:16:46 pm »
32X. That thing was technically supposed to be twice the power of the Genesis.

tpugmire

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 04:40:03 pm »
I bought a boxed CD-I a few years ago because I really wanted to try the Zelda games that were made for it. The box was a bit rough, but the console itself and all the accessories were immaculate. It had every piece of packaging material, and looked like it hadn't seen any use at all. I quickly discovered why. I got it all hooked up and turned it on. I played about 5 minutes of Link: Faces of Evil, and about the same for Hotel Mario. I then turned it off, and put it all away. Haven't touched it since. I had heard about how bad the system was, but I was completely unprepared for that level of shittyness.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 04:54:12 pm »
I bought my PSP and was excited to play Castlevania on it, and maybe some others. But afterwards it always seemed to never have anything interesting on it. It took 3 years for me to finally crack the surface of finding worthwhile PSP titles.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 05:09:07 pm »
I bought my PSP and was excited to play Castlevania on it, and maybe some others. But afterwards it always seemed to never have anything interesting on it. It took 3 years for me to finally crack the surface of finding worthwhile PSP titles.

I kinda felt that way initially then got Ys Seven way later and couldn't put the system down.  It's gathering dust again right now, but I still look out for games to use on it.  Also, PSN titles still work on it!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

numing

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 11:21:45 pm »
Couple years ago I would have said my Nintendo Wii. But then I discovered it's library beyond Mario and all the overly advertised dance games...

It's not really my console, but my sister got a 360 years back. I had my console so she just HAD to have her own, and to me having the amazing console I'd always watched my neighbours play sounded great. We played it for a few months before we abandoned it. My Xbox-loving cousin tried to get us back into it with Tomb Raider last year, but now it's back to collecting dust as my sister refuses to sell it. Personally, something about the 360 just isn't as...fun :-\

desocietas

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 12:10:52 am »
I've been feeling that way about my 360.  I was all about it when we had both the PS3 and the 360 in the house, so when my roommates left and took their consoles with them, I invested in a 360.  But years later, after many great RPG releases on the PS3, I wish I'd gone with that console in the end.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas