Author Topic: Collection page page entries with subicons  (Read 2628 times)

Collection page page entries with subicons
« on: January 11, 2014, 12:16:00 am »
I would love to see 'greyed out' icons for the 4 checkboxes.  Would be nice to be able to quickly see what we are missing at a per item basis, without having to click each item and look on the right side of the screen.  It would be cool if you could make the cart/disk icon different for each system... Also I expermiented with having it show the real box... maybe be cool to use the real box/cart/disk and then generic for manual/misc.

Please let me know what you think matt.

desocietas

Re: Collection page page entries with subicons
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 04:31:44 am »
ohh... this is interesting!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

matt

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 01:57:11 pm »
I know I've only hinted at a new design that is coming realllly soon....but here is a preview of the new Collection/Wish List/Sell List views:

As you can see there is now a dedicated space for this info. What I would love though is to use your icon idea. That would look sooooooo much better than the text/checkboxes we are currently using. Anyone want to take a stab at making a small set of icons that'd work?

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 12:15:48 am »
You saw my art skills... I will not have much to offer on that one :D someone who can draw get on it!!

matt, what is the preferred size for the icons?

matt

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 06:44:10 pm »
ha

probably looking for 40 x 40 or so

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 07:28:22 pm »
Let me know if you like these... if so I will make some more in the same style... if you let me plug my 2d mmorpg I've been developing 2.5 yrs now :D... kidding... I would be happy to draw more if they are liked

<-- SNES

<-- NES

<-- Genesis
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 07:47:45 pm by proskier »

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 07:19:09 am »
they look good, vary good

matt

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 12:23:48 pm »
Let me know if you like these... if so I will make some more in the same style... if you let me plug my 2d mmorpg I've been developing 2.5 yrs now :D... kidding... I would be happy to draw more if they are liked

<-- SNES

<-- NES

<-- Genesis

I think those are awesome (and feel free to plug your mmo whenever you want)

I think we are going to have trouble making icons that have the meaning we are going for:

Cart / Disc = NES cart would work for this, Maybe put a CD behind it or something
Box - Could probably make a little pixel looking NES box...like old school original release: http://vgcollect.com/images/front-box-thumbs/11446.jpg
Manual - not sure on this
Other - not sure on this

tpugmire

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 04:11:35 pm »
Just a thought, but what about using the vgcollect cartridge icon we already have. Them make a box icon for that cartridge icon. Same for manual. Maybe have some text at the bottom to clear up any confusion?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 05:30:52 pm »

Cart / Disc = NES cart would work for this, Maybe put a CD behind it or something
Box - Could probably make a little pixel looking NES box...like old school original release: http://vgcollect.com/images/front-box-thumbs/11446.jpg
Manual - not sure on this
Other - not sure on this

<-- Cart/Disc

<-- Box

<-- Manual

<-- Other

<-- Other 2

Let me know what you guys think... I can change anything...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:06:36 am by proskier »

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 02:29:17 pm »
As much as I would like a unique icon for each console, the universal cart/disc icon wouldn't need updating until games start coming out on holographic cubes.   ;D

I would maybe make the "other" icon something like a map and a figurine, so it looks different from the manual icon.

I like the layout change, will be much easier to see and update our collection info.  Is there any way we could go into "edit mode" for the full page instead of one item at a time?

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 01:07:04 am »
I would maybe make the "other" icon something like a map and a figurine, so it looks different from the manual icon.

Edited my post with what you requested... matt any comments?  Anything you want me to tweak?

topspot123

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 09:29:23 am »
I really like what you've started here proskier.  I've got a couple of ideas for the manual.  I started with your image and tweaked it.  I'm not very good a pixel art, but these are just tests anyway (I didn't even remember to center them).  If anyone likes them, they can be changed or adjusted as anyone sees fit.

Also, since I know very little of web development, are the 'greyed out' icons accomplished though an overlay on the page, or with separate versions of the images?  I think it is done with separate versions, so those have to be created as well.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:49:02 am by topspot123 »

scott

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 11:18:45 am »
How about something like this?

Edit: Adding larger images for better visibility.

Disc/Cart

Box

Manual

Misc Items

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:12:15 pm by scott »
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 12:00:41 pm »
I think that the check-boxes that we already have are just fine & already make everything crystal clear, and that all of this is just over-complicating - or...in other words..."Trying To Fix Something That's Not Broken" (and that already works & does its job just fine) -and- that I'm sure that there are likely a shitload of more important, non-redundant, and *Necessary* things that Matt & Co. could better spend their time fixing/working on...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"