Author Topic: Introducing VGCollect version 3!  (Read 17713 times)

matt

Introducing VGCollect version 3!
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:31:42 pm »
Wow what a night!  :D

I just got done pushing out our biggest update yet. Here is a quick list of the changs:

New Stuff
---------
Server - We are now on our own dedicated server. Now with Blast Processing!
Design - An entire new responsive design that works across desktop, tablets and mobile browsers.
Feed - updated to show game details. You'll now see notes and details about games added.
Collection/Wish List/Sell List - built a quicker and easier way to edit item details.
Collection/Wish List/Sell List - Release Type now shows up on the main item list.
Collection/Wish List/Sell List/Feed - Added a Tutorial for new users.
Items - VGCollect staff can now Lock an item. This will prevent users from submitted edits to games that already have complete, verified data.
Items - Full item history included on item details page.
Items - My Stuff now displays your Collection details on the item details page.
Search - Created an Advanced Search that will allow you to filter by platform.
Search - Added auto-suggest to search.
Notifications - Notifications are back!
Notifications - Notifications now include both accepted and rejected edits. If your edit was rejected you will now recieve a notification along with the reason for the rejection.
Badges - Badges are back! These can be found on your About page.
About - Added Location and Bio to the about page. These can be edited from your settings page.
About - Built out the About page to include a nice chart and some user statistics.

Issues
------
We've done some pretty thorough testing but as usual...we miss stuff. A new support thread will pop up shortly.
Some images are still missing. Working through those as we speak.
Had to pull out some of the sorting options (Priority). Will add back soon.

VGCollect Pro
---------------
People have often asked for a way to donate and/or support the site financially but I never really had an answer. VGCollect is a labor of love for myself, Scott and our other awesome volunteers and it was never something I hoped to make a profit on. Regardless of our intentions, there are obvious costs associated with building and maintaining the site. That being said, I humbly present VGCollect PRO. What is VGCollect Pro? It is simply a way for you to help support the site and community you love. In exchange we'll hide all banner ads throughout the site, give you a sweet special badge and our never ending thanks. In the future I'll also be tossing in some BETA privledges that'll help you see and test features before the general public. More info here: http://vgcollect.com/pro

Please let me know if anyone has any questions, comments or suggestions. I know there are still a few bugs but we'll get those worked out ASAP.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:42:45 pm by matt »

fiveforfightng

Re: VGCollect v3
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:44:36 pm »
Looks good.
Now Playing: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

jobocan

Re: Introducing VGCollect version 3!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 10:31:42 pm »
Blast processing? Hopefully your servers are strong enough to handle that.

scott

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 10:36:38 pm »
Blast processing? Hopefully your servers are strong enough to handle that.

I know right?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 11:41:56 pm »
Looks great guys!
I love all the enhancements

jcalder8

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 11:45:43 pm »
Signed up for Pro!

matt

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 12:09:07 am »
Signed up for Pro!

You are #1! You'll probably have to log out and back in for it to activate. Once you do you can hide ads from Settings.

mark1982

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 12:50:11 am »
Definitely like the redesign, loving the larger box arts displayed  ;D
  l    l 

karyann

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 07:10:58 am »
Whoa man, that update looks so damn good! I'm really happy to have some features back, and the new ones are so great too  :D Thanks for your hard work! Everything looks so damn sweet.

matt

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 09:14:12 am »
Whoa man, that update looks so damn good! I'm really happy to have some features back, and the new ones are so great too  :D Thanks for your hard work! Everything looks so damn sweet.

Thank you. Thank you.

90snostalga

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 09:20:17 am »
Wait, where are there ads at on VGCollect?  I have never ran into any adds?

matt

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 09:28:07 am »

There WERE ads on the old site until we hit up against a Google Adsense policy regarding adult images. Apparently some box art threw up a red flag which blocked our account so no ads were working. I'm currently fighting this but in the meantime have been exploring other ad networks. Right now we just have some Amazon affiliate banners.

90snostalga

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 09:28:34 am »
Not sure if this will help out but when I go to vg collect, I always go to the url vgcollect.com/forum first and it goes straight to the forums section which is fine.  But now, I clicked home to go to the collections part and maybe its my browser, but everything seems scattered about like some text are over other text and it does not look layered out.  I use Mozilla on my laptop but it seems like its not loading for me properly.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:38:35 am by 90snostalga »

90snostalga

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 09:31:05 am »

There WERE ads on the old site until we hit up against a Google Adsense policy regarding adult images. Apparently some box art threw up a red flag which blocked our account so no ads were working. I'm currently fighting this but in the meantime have been exploring other ad networks. Right now we just have some Amazon affiliate banners.

Ah okay.    I just honestly do not remember ever seeing any adds since I've been a member that's why I was asking.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 09:35:19 am »
Definitely like the redesign, loving the larger box arts displayed  ;D

Likewise!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"