Author Topic: Obscure, good Wii games  (Read 30147 times)

Re: Obscure, good Wii games
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 12:02:20 am »
Good recommendations everyone, thank you all :D

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 07:00:49 am »
I'll 2nd Cave Story.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

blipcs76

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 09:32:23 am »
My go-to is always Muramasa: The Demon Blade.  I adore that game, it's such satisfying, twitch gameplay with the carrot of 108 swords to collect in the game (some being upgraded versions of earlier swords), but many have special abilities that make certain swords better for certain scenarios.  Going after the Crissagrim in Castlevania: SOTN was part of what drove me to explore that game so thoroughly -- and that element is totally present here as well.

Others worth mentioning:
- Blast Works
- MadWorld
- A Boy and his Blob
- Zack & Wiki

And for anyone who loved Homestar Runner & Strongbad:

- Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (Ep 1-5) (Wii Ware)
I'm a HUGE fan of Homestar Runner; if you like them and/or point and click adventure games, you have to play these.  I SO wish they put these on disc so they weren't attached to my Wii memory.  Apparently there is a PC release on disc though.

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 02:14:04 pm »
Mushroom Men is pretty good, Excite Bots and Fragile Dreams

Warmsignal

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 02:20:11 pm »
If you like 3D platforming adventures, check out Spray. Really clunky and glitch ridden, but still fun.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 03:08:55 pm »

What's Fragile Dreams like?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

Warmsignal

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 07:47:37 pm »

What's Fragile Dreams like?

Oh yeah, Fragile Dreams! That is a great Wii game, imo. Sort-of open world exploration of a post-apocalyptic world where you may be the only living human. Great cast of characters, cool story but also very emotional and melancholic, beautiful environments and light RPG elements. I would say it's a must for Wii owners. I really liked it.

argyle

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 07:54:16 pm »
Fragile Dreams is on my short list of Wii games I still need to pickup. 

How is that Wii exclusive fighting game?  Capcom vs. some Japanese company?  :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2014, 12:37:15 am »
If you're a horror fan, I suggest trying out Calling. It's by no means a perfect game (first half is chock full of those WHERE DO I GOOOO-?! moments,) but it definitely has some interesting elements, as well as a few genuinely suspenseful sections. I particularly like the way the developers integrated the Wiimote, which you can use like a cell phone by pressing it to your ear. Great use of ambient noise, too. It also has an optional Japanese language track, if you're into that.

Price seems to be wavering a bit lately, but I was lucky and managed to find a sealed copy for $20 at my local shop. I would recommend grabbing it if you find it cheap.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

bobster

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2014, 09:40:20 am »
If you're a horror fan, I suggest trying out Calling. It's by no means a perfect game (first half is chock full of those WHERE DO I GOOOO-?! moments,) but it definitely has some interesting elements, as well as a few genuinely suspenseful sections. I particularly like the way the developers integrated the Wiimote, which you can use like a cell phone by pressing it to your ear. Great use of ambient noise, too. It also has an optional Japanese language track, if you're into that.

Price seems to be wavering a bit lately, but I was lucky and managed to find a sealed copy for $20 at my local shop. I would recommend grabbing it if you find it cheap.
I saw this for cheap on ebay once and it look really cool. I didn't grab it but wish I did. Glad to hear it's a cool game. I'll keep an eye out for it!

P.S. It seems to me I haven't seen you post in a while. Nice to see you back on here!
Currently Playing: The Witcher

argyle

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 11:13:04 am »

Thanks, added Calling to my Wii want list.  :)  I did a quick GS stock check online, and it says no store within 100 miles of me has it.   :o
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 12:38:32 pm »

I saw this for cheap on ebay once and it look really cool. I didn't grab it but wish I did. Glad to hear it's a cool game. I'll keep an eye out for it!

P.S. It seems to me I haven't seen you post in a while. Nice to see you back on here!

Thanks, great to be back! I come and go sporadically, but you guys are stuck with me for the long haul. :P (Being home sick from work right now, bored off my ass while I wait for the Dayquil to take effect might also have something to do with it. Bluuurgh whine whine whine.)

Thanks, added Calling to my Wii want list.  :)  I did a quick GS stock check online, and it says no store within 100 miles of me has it.   :o

Argh, I hate it when that happens. You might get lucky with an internet search. I can keep an eye out for cheap copies. Honestly, unless you intend to resell it, I wouldn't spend more than $25 on it. I still readily recommend it, but I have a bad habit of really, REALLY liking games that are, by all accounts, kind of awful. See my icon tag for proof.

dreama1

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 11:04:09 pm »
another code r. True hidden gem. That company was doomed to failure from the start fighting the uphill battle. They went defunct, and not many have heard of them, but they still made a great unique game. Check out there only wii game.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 12:58:44 am »
another code r. True hidden gem. That company was doomed to failure from the start fighting the uphill battle. They went defunct, and not many have heard of them, but they still made a great unique game. Check out there only wii game.

I wasn't aware they made a sequel to Trace Memory. I'll be checking this out!

dreama1

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 01:04:26 am »

I wasn't aware they made a sequel to Trace Memory. I'll be checking this out!
Tragic isn't it lol