Author Topic: Obscure, good Wii games  (Read 30263 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Obscure, good Wii games
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2014, 08:10:46 am »
The one (the 1st game) that I played was no joke either - I remember some pretty difficult parts in it...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2014, 08:49:32 am »
another code r. True hidden gem. That company was doomed to failure from the start fighting the uphill battle. They went defunct, and not many have heard of them, but they still made a great unique game. Check out there only wii game.

So this game never released in the US, correct?  From looking into it I see that it & Trace Memory are both set in the same universe as Hotel Dusk and supposedly have similar gameplay as it.  My wife *loved* hotel dusk - I bought Trace Memory for her recently not knowing a lot about it except that it seemed like her type of game, but she hasn't played it yet.  I'm sure once I tell her about its Hotel Dusk connection, she will.  But she'll also want to play this one at some point, I'm sure - so if it's UK only, gonna have to find a way to import.  :-\
So she's into the visual novel games huh? DS is the place to be then has she played 999, or zero escape?

She loved 999, she's wanting me to get her a Vita so she can play Zero Escape on it (I know it's out for the 3DS as well but she wants a Vita anyway & would rather play it on that).  I'm probably about 3/4's through Danganronpa right now and I'm pretty sure she'll love that too. 

Sounds like I'll have to add the Trauma Center games to my wishlist.  Thanks guys!   ;D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

bobster

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2014, 08:56:02 am »
I can second the Trauma Center games. I only played the Wii ones, but my understanding was the DS one is pretty much the same thing. Co-op on the 2nd one is pretty fun too. I played it with my girlfriend at the time. Plus Atlus is tied to it so you know it's good!
Currently Playing: The Witcher

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2014, 06:45:19 pm »
A Boy and His Blob and Lost in Shadow. Two Action/Puzzle-solving games. I'd categorize them as hidden gems.

argyle

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2014, 06:21:46 am »
I have been picking up obscure Wii games like mad lately, and still my wanted list keeps growing out of control!   :o  From various message boards (some from this thread ;) ), YouTube vids, etc. I have compiled this list that I'm on the lookout for:

Arc Rise Fantasia
Baroque
Blast Works
Calling
Castle of Shikigami III
Castlevania Judgement
Deadly Creatures
Excitetruck
Fortune Street
Fragile Dreams
Ghost Squad
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
Ivy the Kiwi?
Ju-On
Little King’s Story
Lost In Blue: Shipwrecked
Mad World
Mushroom Men: Spore Wars
No More Heroes 2
Onechanbara
One Piece Unlimited Adventure
Opoona
Phantom Brave: We Meet Again
Pikmin (not really a hidden gem but difficult to find in my area at least)
Roogoo Twisted Towers
Rune Factory: Frontier
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Samurai Showdown Anthology
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces (the cover art to this game blows - I think I passed on it already out of town not knowing what it was  :( )
Soul Calibur Legends
SSX Blur
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Trauma Team
Ultimate Shooting Collection

I think I'm gonna have to take back most of the bad things I've said about the Wii over the years.  :P
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

abe

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2014, 09:45:34 am »
I have been picking up obscure Wii games like mad lately, and still my wanted list keeps growing out of control!   :o  From various message boards (some from this thread ;) ), YouTube vids, etc. I have compiled this list that I'm on the lookout for:

Arc Rise Fantasia
Baroque
Blast Works
Calling
Castle of Shikigami III
Castlevania Judgement
Deadly Creatures
Excitetruck
Fortune Street
Fragile Dreams
Ghost Squad
Ivy the Kiwi?
Ju-On
Little King’s Story
Mad World
No More Heroes 2
Onechanbara
Opoona
Roogoo Twisted Towers
Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces (the cover art to this game blows - I think I passed on it already out of town not knowing what it was  :( )
Soul Calibur Legends
SSX Blur
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Trauma Team

I think I'm gonna have to take back most of the bad things I've said about the Wii over the years.  :P

You can also get Ivy the Kiwi? on the DS, it's great on a handheld. Also, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus is a much better version than Accent Core, since it has more characters and comes with a soundtrack CD. For me, Accent Core Plus wasn't that much more difficult to find than Accent Core.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2014, 12:15:29 am »

Arc Rise Fantasia
Baroque
Blast Works
Calling
Castle of Shikigami III
Castlevania Judgement
Deadly Creatures
Excitetruck
Fortune Street
Fragile Dreams
Ghost Squad
Ivy the Kiwi?
Ju-On
Little King’s Story
Mad World
No More Heroes 2
Onechanbara
Opoona
Roogoo Twisted Towers
Soul Calibur Legends
SSX Blur
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Trauma Team

You can also get Ivy the Kiwi? on the DS, it's great on a handheld. Also, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus is a much better version than Accent Core, since it has more characters and comes with a soundtrack CD. For me, Accent Core Plus wasn't that much more difficult to find than Accent Core.

Thanks - I prefer games on consoles over handhelds when given the choice, but I probably would pick up Ivy on DS...if it were available anywhere remotely close to me.   :-\  According to Gamestop's stock checker, it's not.  Speaking of which, they list a grand total of one store within 100 miles of me that has a used copy of Guilty Gear on the Wii.  From my understanding they don't distinguish between the normal & Plus versions in their inventory, so it could be either...but honestly, I'll be happy if it's just complete.  I'm heading to that store tomorrow (it's only about 30 mins away) so I'll find out soon enough...

abe

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2014, 08:44:45 am »

Thanks - I prefer games on consoles over handhelds when given the choice, but I probably would pick up Ivy on DS...if it were available anywhere remotely close to me.   :-\  According to Gamestop's stock checker, it's not.  Speaking of which, they list a grand total of one store within 100 miles of me that has a used copy of Guilty Gear on the Wii.  From my understanding they don't distinguish between the normal & Plus versions in their inventory, so it could be either...but honestly, I'll be happy if it's just complete.  I'm heading to that store tomorrow (it's only about 30 mins away) so I'll find out soon enough...

Good luck, I hope you manage to find a copy of Accent Core Plus.  :D
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2014, 04:31:52 pm »
No joy on Guilty Gear - it was disk only.  I did luck up & get complete copies of Deadly Creatures and Sky Crawlers tho, so not a complete loss.  :)

argyle

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2014, 11:11:21 am »
I've been picking up so many cheap Wii games lately that I thought I'd resurrect this thread to use to post my initial impressions of some of them.  :)

A Boy & His Blob - I never played the original, but this remake is fantastic so far.  The 2D graphics look really good and the mix of action & puzzles seems just right.  Really looking forward to putting more time into this one.  If you can find it, I'd say this is a definite must-buy.

Alien Syndrome - A top-down twin-stick shooter.  Sorta Diablo with guns?  It's not bad, but I think there are HD downloadable versions of it on the PS3 and/or the 360.  Well worth what I paid (about $3) but will depend on how big a fan of the genre you are. 

Blast Works: Build, Trade, Destroy - This is an unusual game.  Basically it's a build-your-own side-scrolling 'shmup.  Pretty in-depth on the creation side, I haven't really scratched the surface there.  Plays kinda strangely, you can "grab" enemies you shoot down & then use them as shields?  Sorta?  Hard to explain.  It's definitely unique, I'll pretty much guarantee there's not another game like it, so I'd say that alone deserves it a spot in your Wii collection. 

Chicken Little: Ace In Action - This is a Ratchet & Clank clone.  That's the easiest & most accurate description I can give.  I don't know that it has as many weapons - I'm not entirely sure you get different weapons at all - but the first level I played looked & felt exactly like a R&C level.  That's not a bad thing, btw, because this is a well-done clone.  It looks as if you'll either still gain abilities as you go or possibly switch off to other characters who have different abilities.  You move w/ the nunchuck & aim with the wiimote, which actually works very well - it was apparently made for the PS2 as well, but I don't know if it would be as fun without the motion aiming.  Great production values too, except I think Adam West was badly miscast as the main character.  I can imagine Patrick Warburton doing his voice & fitting the character much better.  But that's a minor quibble.  For a whopping $2, you can't go wrong here.  :)

Deadly Creatures - Get this game.  It's awesome.  You start out playing as a spider and the controls, animation and just "feel" of it is all spot on.  An absolute blast, very highly recommended.  I'll promise you, this will be another "Gotcha Force" where people realize how good it is too late & therefore cause the price to skyrocket.

Dragon Quest Swords: Very Long Subtitle - Eh.  It's DQ, so I definitely wanted it, and as with the rest of these it was pretty cheap.  But if you don't have a love of the DQ series, you can probably safely pass on this one.  Motion controlled sword fighting that works about as well as you'd expect. 

Escape From Bug Island - Whether or not I can recommend this game to you depends on how you answer one question - do you enjoy watching really terrible movies to laugh at them?  If so, this game is for you!  Some of the absolute worst dialog ever written for a game.  Heck, your "guy" friend frequently cocks & aims his shotgun to punctuate random things he says.  It's a survival horror game with functional but kinda gimmicky motion controls, but man is it funny.   ;D

Ghost Squad - I absolutely love this one.  It's a port of an arcade on-rails shooter (Time Crisis without the ducking mechanic) with Sega's patented horribly cheesy settings/dialog/everything else. :P It plays great, the aiming is very responsive and levels have branching paths (with more paths that open up the more you play) and there are tons of unlockables.  You can blast through it in a 30 min sitting, but it's definitely made to be replayed.  Tons of fun - I can only imagine 2-player is that much better. 

Marble Saga Kororinpa - A pretty good Marble Madness / Monkeyball type game.  Seems like a really good time waster. 

Red Steel 2 - I played very little of this so far, but I can say I love the graphic style (very nice cell shading) and the controls seem really responsive. 

Samba de Amigo - Disappointingly terrible. :( I have & love the Dreamcast original, and it's sad that the almost 15 year old maraca technology they used is much more responsive than what was done with this crappy port.  I paid $1 for it, and that was probably too much but I wanted it just to have it because I enjoyed the original so much. 

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - From the hour or so I've played so far, this could very well be the best Silent Hill game in years.  It's complete focus on exploration (you literally cannot fight at all) is exactly what this series needed, because it puts all the emphasis on exploration.  The mind games the game plays with you are very cool as well - I won't spoil them, but just know that what you do in the game is "teaching" the game how you play & will be used against you. 

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2014, 08:39:21 pm »
Ghost Squad - I absolutely love this one.  It's a port of an arcade on-rails shooter (Time Crisis without the ducking mechanic) with Sega's patented horribly cheesy settings/dialog/everything else. :P It plays great, the aiming is very responsive and levels have branching paths (with more paths that open up the more you play) and there are tons of unlockables.  You can blast through it in a 30 min sitting, but it's definitely made to be replayed.  Tons of fun - I can only imagine 2-player is that much better. 

I saw this one for 4 bucks at Gamestop.  Might grab it for the heck of it.

desocietas

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2014, 11:17:52 pm »
Argyle, let me know if you need any help tracking down some Wii games at Gamestop - I can always take a look at my local shop(s) to see if they have what you want.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2014, 12:37:42 am »
Re-resurrect

I picked up a few more titles on the wii recently.

Boy and His Blob
Little Kings Story
Ju-On

All complete

maximo310

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2014, 12:57:24 am »
After going to a few Gamestops over the last month, and cleaning a great portion of Wii games out of their stores, I'm still surprised how many Wii games I've missed when they came out. Argyle, your list really helped me out when I was looking for many of these games, and most of the ones I've found are mostly on the action side, but they are a lot of fun to play and try out. The only downside so far as been that all of the Gamestops in my area that show stock on their website for Ultimate Shooting Collection, but when I go to the stores, they don't have the disc at all, and it sucks since I really want that cheap compliation pack for my shmup collection, but I'm gonna have to keep looking for a decently priced copy of the game.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2014, 01:20:50 am »
Here's a new suggestion:

Pandora's Tower.

It's like Shadow of the Colossus only the love of your life that you are trying to save is still alive.

She's infected or cursed with something and you have to beat 12 beasts and feed her their flesh in order to cure her.

Also unlike SoC her infection spreads in realtime so you have to beat the 12 beasts and return to her before it's spread too far.