Author Topic: Obscure, good Wii games  (Read 30737 times)

desocietas

Re: Obscure, good Wii games
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2014, 04:28:03 am »
So I passed up on a copy of Castle of Shikigami. That's right, passed on it! :o

One actually turned up at GS, but it was super gross and no manual.  ::) Figures.

Ahh, that sucks. :(

A copy of Ju-On popped up at a GS way up north from me. Stopped by my local store Weds to ask them to see if they could get it transferred, but the screenshot w/ the store info I had emailed myself for some reason didn't come through. So I told the guy I'd just print it out & bring it with me Friday when I came by to pickup Bayonetta 2. Brought it with me yesterday, and the guy working there (who's been working at GS forever and I know pretty well) said his computer was showing it was at a different store, but he'd call the one on my printout because maybe the website was more accurate. Nope - turns out someone at another store had already requested it be transferred.  :(

Can you really get GSs to transfer games?  I thought I'd asked a store to do that for me before but they said they couldn't...

Also, I mentioned in the PS2 thread, but Dokapon Kingdom is a fun one if you're ever able to spot it...  Odd, but I like it :P
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2014, 04:54:56 am »

One actually turned up at GS, but it was super gross and no manual.  ::) Figures.

A copy of Ju-On popped up at a GS way up north from me. Stopped by my local store Weds to ask them to see if they could get it transferred, but the screenshot w/ the store info I had emailed myself for some reason didn't come through. So I told the guy I'd just print it out & bring it with me Friday when I came by to pickup Bayonetta 2. Brought it with me yesterday, and the guy working there (who's been working at GS forever and I know pretty well) said his computer was showing it was at a different store, but he'd call the one on my printout because maybe the website was more accurate. Nope - turns out someone at another store had already requested it be transferred.  :(

Can you really get GSs to transfer games?  I thought I'd asked a store to do that for me before but they said they couldn't...

Also, I mentioned in the PS2 thread, but Dokapon Kingdom is a fun one if you're ever able to spot it...  Odd, but I like it :P
Most of the Gamestops I go to are able to do that. They usually check with the cooresponding store first to make sure that there are no holds for pickup or anything like that from another customer before sending it to your store of choice, with notification once it arrives at your store. It's worked out pretty well so far for me, and pretty helpful when the game you need is 50+ miles away and you can't get to that location easily.

desocietas

« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2014, 02:59:53 pm »

Most of the Gamestops I go to are able to do that. They usually check with the cooresponding store first to make sure that there are no holds for pickup or anything like that from another customer before sending it to your store of choice, with notification once it arrives at your store. It's worked out pretty well so far for me, and pretty helpful when the game you need is 50+ miles away and you can't get to that location easily.

That's awesome - I'll have to ask my bf to see if their store does that (he works at a GS, ha).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2014, 03:02:51 pm »

That's awesome - I'll have to ask my bf to see if their store does that (he works at a GS, ha).
The store should be able to do that as long as you provide the necessary info and they find the game in their store database. So, good luck with that!

argyle

« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2014, 05:47:14 pm »
It appears that Calling is the most recent Wii game to get a stealth reprint. It has suddenly popped up at a ton of Gamestops in my area after being nonexistent. I picked one up, and it's pretty obvious that it's a brand-new game just minus the shrinkwrap.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

bobster

« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2014, 06:05:37 pm »
I noticed that too in the area around me.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2014, 07:12:12 pm »
It appears that Calling is the most recent Wii game to get a stealth reprint. It has suddenly popped up at a ton of Gamestops in my area after being nonexistent. I picked one up, and it's pretty obvious that it's a brand-new game just minus the shrinkwrap.

Nice, I almost bought one Sunday.  Way to spot it.

maximo310

« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2014, 07:28:22 pm »
Interesting, I was wondering why I saw a copy at my Gamestop the other day. Good to know this, thanks!

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2014, 07:53:02 pm »

Cool! Calling is a flawed, but interesting little gem, and I'm glad to hear more people can pick it up now. Hope you like it.

I have a couple other recommendations while I'm here. Endless Ocean is a scuba diving simulator a bit similar to the Everblue and Aquanaut's Holiday series, but with a more educational bent. It's also has a third person, rather than first person perspective. It moves pretty slowly, but I personally think it's quite relaxing to play. Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories did a much better job with the concept, I think, but is very expensive even if you buy it directly from Chinese or Korean sites, so Endless Ocean is probably the game you want to go with if you don't want to spend too much.

If you're willing to import, I also thought Ikunie no Yoru (イケニエノヨル in Japanese) was a flawed, but interesting survival horror. The gameplay and story are very simplistic and it really isn't all that scary on its own, but it's unique because you need to use the Balance Board to move and solve puzzles. Makes things a lot more tense, in my opinion. A little knowledge of the written Japanese language would help, but you can still make your way through the game without it.

Now, off to buy Deadly Creatures.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

Warmsignal

« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2014, 09:35:13 pm »

That blows my mind. I just checked, and sure enough a store near me has it. It's too bad that it's not like an actual reprint price. GameStop is basically getting another exclusive reprint while pretending that the game is used.

I don't like the price, but I'll probably try to go get it tomorrow.

argyle

« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2014, 10:27:24 pm »

That blows my mind. I just checked, and sure enough a store near me has it. It's too bad that it's not like an actual reprint price. GameStop is basically getting another exclusive reprint while pretending that the game is used.

I don't like the price, but I'll probably try to go get it tomorrow.

Eh, it's cheaper than it was when it was new, so I'm ok with it. Besides, I picked it up with a couple of others this weekend in their b2g1 sale, so that brought the average price down even more - that's the good thing about them calling it "used", it makes it qualify for their deals/coupons/etc.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

bobster

« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2014, 02:12:28 pm »
I went out and got myself a minty copy of Calling. It still has that new manual smell! Thanks Greg for making me jump on this  ;D
Currently Playing: The Witcher

argyle

« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2015, 07:13:16 pm »
I went out and got myself a minty copy of Calling. It still has that new manual smell! Thanks Greg for making me jump on this  ;D

Hehe, np. ;) One of the GS managers around here who has been working with them forever knows me pretty well, and as soon as it came into the store he was at he put it aside & called me.

soera

« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2015, 08:34:52 am »
Sadly, my store doesnt have a copy.

argyle

« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2015, 08:42:10 am »
Sadly, my store doesnt have a copy.

Give them time, I just counted and 38 stores within 100 miles of me have it now. :P Or do a search and see if your local store will get another store to transfer a copy in.