Author Topic: Why can't Pokemon be listed as Pokémon?  (Read 3190 times)

Veilor

Why can't Pokemon be listed as Pokémon?
« on: January 25, 2014, 06:45:02 pm »
So I tried editing Pokémon Emerald with adding the ´, that edit got through yesterday on PokéPark but reverted recently when I uploaded a better box art for it. The only reason I got was reading the style guide, which I did, nothing in it states anything about such things. I don't really see a reason for it to not be there, Pokemon games still shows up if I type Pokémon and the other way around. I also believe the search engine is better now in v3?

matt

Re: Why can't Pokemon be listed as Pokémon?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:01:21 pm »
We've got some encoding issues that are messing up any of the non-standard characters. So it isn't that you are doing anything wrong - but the system just can't handle them right now. I'm looking into a solution tonight.

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 08:12:20 pm »
ACTUALLY...

I just realized that the search DOES find stuff with accents now! After I rejected Veilor's edit I did a search for Pokemon without the accent and the site spat back results both with and without it. So that's new!

Sorry, Veilor.

matt

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 08:28:15 pm »
The encoding issue seems to be on the admin side of things. This area uses an old framework to talk to the database and is not pulling in data using UTF8. I think I'm near a solution...finally.

Veilor

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 02:25:09 am »
np Foxhack, you were just doing your job.

The encoding issue seems to be on the admin side of things. This area uses an old framework to talk to the database and is not pulling in data using UTF8. I think I'm near a solution...finally.

ok, just let us know when it is fixed :)

matt

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:12:55 am »
Should be good to go. Fox and I tested it a lot yesterday and couldn't break it.

soera

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 10:41:32 am »
Is this really necessary? I dont even have that key on my keyboard. It doesnt seem prudent or an efficient use of time to mess with something like this.

matt

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 11:29:34 am »
Is this really necessary? I dont even have that key on my keyboard. It doesnt seem prudent or an efficient use of time to mess with something like this.

Not really necessary but fixing this also fixed all of the issue we have had with Japanese and other non-Latin characters.

soera

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 11:33:55 am »
Fair enough. Just sounded a little too nit-picky to me is why I asked. :)

scott

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 12:28:08 pm »
As long as I can type in Pokemon when I search and have Pokémon pop up in the results, I'm happy haha.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

Veilor

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 01:27:44 pm »
Well to me it's a big thing as Pokémon is spelled liked that, and I just hate seeing it written as just Pokemon.

soera

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 03:04:17 pm »
But you missed my point. My keyboard doesnt even have that option. So it makes sense to have the easiest option available. Which is Poke not the Pok with the weird E.

Veilor

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 05:13:04 pm »
But you missed my point. My keyboard doesnt even have that option. So it makes sense to have the easiest option available. Which is Poke not the Pok with the weird E.

Well that's probably because you live in USA. But all keyboards can write it. You can still type Pokemon and get the results. And as I said, that is how you spell Pokémon, with the weird E.

How to get weird e 

e with acute accent
   é  ALT + 130    É  ALT + 144

more at http://french.about.com/od/writing/ss/typeaccents_7.htm

foxhack

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 06:09:32 pm »
French keyboards from Canada also have that option.

Don't blame him, he's American. Their language makes no sense. :P

karyann

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 06:35:45 pm »
Well that's probably because you live in USA. But all keyboards can write it. You can still type Pokemon and get the results. And as I said, that is how you spell Pokémon, with the weird E.

How to get weird e 

e with acute accent
   é  ALT + 130    É  ALT + 144

more at http://french.about.com/od/writing/ss/typeaccents_7.htm

Veilor, are you French/French Canadian? Or are you just picky about accuracy? Not that it's a bad thing, I'm both picky AND french Canadian  :P