Author Topic: Poll: How do you pronounce NES  (Read 8111 times)

90snostalga

Re: Poll: How do you pronounce NES
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 08:26:39 pm »
Well, Turf is right honestly.

PlayStation was the brainchild of Ken Kutaragi, a Sony executive who had just come out of his hardware engineering division at that time and would later be dubbed as "The Father of the PlayStation".[13][14]

The console's origins date back to 1988 where it was originally a joint project between Nintendo and Sony to create a CD-ROM for the Super Famicom.[15] Although Nintendo denied the existence of the Sony deal as late as March 1991,[16] Sony revealed a Super Famicom with a built-in CD-ROM drive (that incorporated Green Book technology or CDi) at the Consumer Electronics Show in June 1991. However, a day after the announcement at CES Nintendo announced that it would be breaking its partnership with Sony, opting to go with Philips instead but using the same technology.[17] The deal was broken by Nintendo after they were unable to come to an agreement on how revenue would be split between the two companies.[17] The breaking of the partnership infuriated Sony President Norio Ohga, who responded by appointing Kutaragi with the responsibility of developing of the PlayStation project to rival Nintendo.[17]

At that time, negotiations were still on-going between Nintendo and Sony, with Nintendo offering Sony a "non-gaming role" regarding their new partnership with Philips. This proposal was swiftly rejected by Kutaragi who was facing increasing criticism over his work with regard to entering the video game industry from within Sony. Negotiations officially ended in May 1992 and in order to decide the fate of the PlayStation project, a meeting was held in June 1992, consisting of Sony President Ohga, PlayStation Head Kutaragi and several senior members of Sony's board. At the meeting, Kutaragi unveiled a proprietary CD-ROM-based system he had been working on which involved playing video games with 3D graphics to the board. Eventually, Sony President Ohga decided to retain the project after being reminded by Kutaragi of the humiliation he suffered from Nintendo. Nevertheless, due to strong opposition from a majority present at the meeting as well as widespread internal opposition to the project by the older generation of Sony executives, Kutaragi and his team had to be shifted from Sony's headquarters to Sony Music, a completely separate financial entity owned by Sony, so as to retain the project and maintain relationships with Philips for the MMCD development project (which helped lead to the creation of the DVD).

Heh went ahead and quoted the info from Wiki

Ah okay.  I did learn something here about Nintendo and Sony teaming up to release the playstation; however, in what world was the 64 a failure?  I know for me and all my friends, we played the 64 90 percent more than the playstation.   We love even to this day, we still play the 64 sometimes.  Do you mean the sales were bad for the 64?  I never thought that the 64 was bad.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 08:33:37 pm »
How can you hate the PS1? It has at least 1 game for every single player type on the planet and its the originator of the most amazing controllers of all time. :D

??? it originated the Gamecube Controller???

90snostalga

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 08:34:42 pm »
How can you hate the PS1? It has at least 1 game for every single player type on the planet and its the originator of the most amazing controllers of all time. :D

You guys are losing me now.  I think the 64 and playstation is awesome but I do choose the 64 over the playstation.

soera

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 08:34:53 pm »

The Dualshock!!! :D

soera

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 08:35:45 pm »
You guys are losing me now.  I think the 64 and playstation is awesome but I do choose the 64 over the playstation.

Blasphemy. There is 1 good game on the N64 and that is Mario kart. :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 08:48:10 pm »
Back in the day it was "Original Nintendo" and "Super Nintendo".

But nowadays I pronounce N-E-S, saying each letter individually. But when it comes to SNES, I sound it out, as if the word "Snes" actually existed.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:50:05 pm by burningdoom »

sin2beta

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 08:48:37 pm »
I still say, if you take the RPG library out of the PS1, you have a mediocre (at best) library. A few greats, Castlevania for example. But it quickly turns into Ape Escape. Then it quickly turns into Duke Nukem and the Planet of the Babes. For RPG fans, it is a great system. I like just a few RPGs, I'm not a big PS1 fan.

The d-pad is awful. And it is in the most prominent spot. That is awful. Games are not played the same as they were in the mid 90s. If you have a bad d-pad, move it. The dreamcast d-pad is horrible. They could have just put a cheese grater in its spot and it would have done the same thing. But they at least moved it out of the way.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 08:58:13 pm »
Don't analyze anything I say in that video, in person, or in print. I'm talking out of my ass most of the time.

Now, I don't like the Playstation 1 because it was in direct competition with Nintendo. I was a huge fanboy. I had a very Highlander "There can be only one" way of thinking. I still hold disdain for the playstation. 

Even after I had my Dreamcast realization a few years ago and I saw the era of my ways as a fanboy of any sort, I still don't like the PS1. The 3D that was crammed down our throats then is still there. The heart was willing but the body wasn't able, meaning they really really wanted to make 3D games, but the technology just wasn't there yet.

There are a few brights spots that I've found. Symphony of the Night, Contra Adventure, Castlevania Chronicles, and Metal Gear Solid. That's about it. The basketball games were ok for the time, but sports games never hold up unless they are Tecmo Super Bowl, RBI Baseball, or have Mutant League n the title. 

One last thing,  the Xbox 360 controller is the best controller of all time.

pacpix

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 09:27:13 pm »
I pronounced it Nez for years and then I switched to N.E.S. a while ago.  I have no idea why.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

sin2beta

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 09:31:23 pm »
I'm kind of surprised at how many people called it "regular Nintendo". I thought I was one of the few. NES and N.E.S do seem to be the most popular though.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

soera

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 09:32:29 pm »
One last thing,  the PS3 controller is the best controller of all time.

Excellent. At least you admit one thing correctly. :)

soera

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 09:34:26 pm »
I think the reason I call it the N.E.S. is cause most casual people tend to do the same so its easier when talking to them. If I just say Nintendo, then for some odd reason, they always think its the damned 64. If I say NES, they have no idea.

But when I say the fuckbox, everyone understands!  ;D :-* 8)

90snostalga

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 09:42:22 pm »
I'm kind of surprised at how many people called it "regular Nintendo". I thought I was one of the few. NES and N.E.S do seem to be the most popular though.

Yea I'm actually surprised most peole dont call it the regular nintendo.  Seriously when I was a kid during that time, everyone I knew even adults, called it the regular nintendo.  Not until the internet, did I ever hear it be called anything other than the regular nintendo.

90snostalga

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 09:42:51 pm »
One last thing,  the PS3 controller is the best controller of all time.

Excellent. At least you admit one thing correctly. :)

That is the one thing I will give you.  PlayStation has always developed great controllers

Veilor

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 01:44:03 am »
I've always called it Nintendo 8-bits. But when I say the other I say NES.