Author Topic: Poll: How do you pronounce NES  (Read 8100 times)

Re: Poll: How do you pronounce NES
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 01:52:30 am »
I say spell nes but actually say snes just me but idk
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 04:01:45 am »
I say 8-bit Nintendo and N.E.S
On the playstation thing I will admit is a fantastic system... Unfortunately for us 2-d fighting fans, it's terrible, D-pad is stiff, and the ports are just awful. Marvel Superheroes vs Street fighter has hideous loading times and it took out the "tag" feature and to top it all off the animation is pretty bad too. Stick with Saturn and Dreamcast for Capcom fighters

ffxik

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 05:08:34 am »
N-E-S.  Saying NES sounds like your sneezing or something.  It just sounds wrong.  :P

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 07:05:33 am »
I pronounce it "ness". I'm from Poland.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 04:28:57 am by mastafafik »

scott

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 08:40:51 am »
I'm kind of surprised at how many people called it "regular Nintendo". I thought I was one of the few. NES and N.E.S do seem to be the most popular though.

Yea I'm actually surprised most peole dont call it the regular nintendo.  Seriously when I was a kid during that time, everyone I knew even adults, called it the regular nintendo.  Not until the internet, did I ever hear it be called anything other than the regular nintendo.

When I was a kid, I called it "The Nintendo", but after the Super Nintendo released it became N E S and S N E S.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 12:48:48 pm »
Here in Brazil people often call it "nintendinho" (little nintendo). I call NES or nintendo 8-bits.

karyann

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 02:46:53 pm »
Well, Turf is right honestly.

PlayStation was the brainchild of Ken Kutaragi, a Sony executive who had just come out of his hardware engineering division at that time and would later be dubbed as "The Father of the PlayStation".

The console's origins date back to 1988 where it was originally a joint project between Nintendo and Sony to create a CD-ROM for the Super Famicom. Although Nintendo denied the existence of the Sony deal as late as March 1991, Sony revealed a Super Famicom with a built-in CD-ROM drive (that incorporated Green Book technology or CDi) at the Consumer Electronics Show in June 1991. However, a day after the announcement at CES Nintendo announced that it would be breaking its partnership with Sony, opting to go with Philips instead but using the same technology. The deal was broken by Nintendo after they were unable to come to an agreement on how revenue would be split between the two companies. The breaking of the partnership infuriated Sony President Norio Ohga, who responded by appointing Kutaragi with the responsibility of developing of the PlayStation project to rival Nintendo.

At that time, negotiations were still on-going between Nintendo and Sony, with Nintendo offering Sony a "non-gaming role" regarding their new partnership with Philips. This proposal was swiftly rejected by Kutaragi who was facing increasing criticism over his work with regard to entering the video game industry from within Sony. Negotiations officially ended in May 1992 and in order to decide the fate of the PlayStation project, a meeting was held in June 1992, consisting of Sony President Ohga, PlayStation Head Kutaragi and several senior members of Sony's board. At the meeting, Kutaragi unveiled a proprietary CD-ROM-based system he had been working on which involved playing video games with 3D graphics to the board. Eventually, Sony President Ohga decided to retain the project after being reminded by Kutaragi of the humiliation he suffered from Nintendo.

Heh went ahead and quoted the info from Wiki

What I see from that is more that Nintendo kinda caused Sony's console to be born (since Mr-Sony-President's anger pushed him forward in the project) rather than Sony caused Nintendo to fall, but that might just be me.

Back on topic: when I was young, it was the "Nintendo". Later on, it became the "NES" pronounced as a word (in my defense, it doesn't sound too bad in French :P ). Nowadays I say "NES" as a word in French, and "N.E.S" in English, just because I feel that's how it's best heard in each language. Most people in Quebec call it "the first Nintendo" now, or the "NES" like I do. "N.E.S" sounds awful in French actually (to me anyway).

SNES I pronounce "Super NES" (sounds like "super ness"). I don't know why but I pronouce it the same way in French and English, even though I say NES differently. I'm weird like that  :P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:48:37 pm by karyann »

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 04:43:12 pm »
As a child I always used the word "Nintendo". As an adult I actually started calling it "Nintendo Entertainment System". I'm kind of anal like that though.

Oddly enough I have never called their second gen console "Super Nintendo Entertainment System". So I guess I break my own logic. I just call it "Super Nintendo". Maybe if I showed the machine more respect I wouldn't have ended up with one that turned colors on me.

I grew up in Arizona.

The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

tpugmire

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 04:45:22 pm »
I've always just called it "The Nintendo". If I recall correctly, most everyone I grew up with did the same. This was in the mid 80's in Salt Lake City, Utah.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 06:03:11 pm »
I've always spelled it out. N-E-S and S-N-E-S.   I was watching some little kid do a youtube review of some games and he kept saying the words NES and SNES. I wanted to punch the kid right in the face. The little bastard wasn't even fucking alive when that shit was out. It made me so mad!!! ARGH.

jcalder8

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 06:41:15 pm »
I say Ness or Sness. But I will also spell it out N E S or S N E S.

karyann

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 07:11:51 pm »
How can you hate the PS1? It has at least 1 game for every single player type on the planet and its the originator of the most amazing controllers of all time. :D

??? it originated the Gamecube Controller???

I'm so with you there. Gamecube controller = best thing ever!

soera

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2014, 07:40:22 pm »
I cant complain about the Gamecube controller. Its pretty awesome in its own right. I wonder if we have a controller thread ... going to look!

*EDIT* Made a thread heh.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:00:50 pm by soera »

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2014, 11:55:23 am »
I hate, HATE it when people say NES or SNES as a word! I don't know, I know it is stupid, but it grates on my nerves for some reason. I don't mind when people say the individual letters, I do it all the time, but THEY ARE NOT WORDS!!! LOL

scott

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2014, 11:58:54 am »
The only time I ever say NES as a word is when I'm talking about Vomitron's NES cover album "No NES for the Wicked", it just sounds better that way.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread