Author Topic: Poll: How do you pronounce NES  (Read 8020 times)

sin2beta

Poll: How do you pronounce NES
« on: January 30, 2014, 06:35:14 pm »
Do you say it as if it is a word? Much like one pronounces NASA. Do you say the letters? Much like one pronounces NRA. Or do you call it something different? Do you go super old school and just straight up call it the Nintendo?

Personally, I have always called it the "regular Nintendo". I started this as a kid. I got mine in 1993 (top-loader, boy!). So, there was the "super" Nintendo. I didn't have that. I had the "regular" Nintendo.

However, lately, I've been transitioning to saying it in the NASA acronym style. I often say "NEZZ". I blame the brits on youtube. (I've also caught myself saying "Atari Jag-you-are". It's embarrassing. )

EDIT: Also list where you lived at the time of the NES. I'm curious if this is based on Geography. Like soda vs pop. Arkansas for me.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:37:10 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Poll: How do you pronounce NES
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 06:52:56 pm »
At the time it was my "Nintendo". Then it was the "Regular Nintendo". Then I moved on to "The 8-bit'er". Now days, I flop between Nes (The Word) and N.E.S.

I'm born and raised in Arkansas.

topspot123

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 06:57:00 pm »
I always have and still do spell it out.  Same for SNES.  It never occurred to me to say it as a word and I was flabbergasted by the frequency of that pronunciation on youtube.  I have become accustomed to hearing it that way now (same with shmup), but even though I am used to it, I don't intend to change. 

Oh, Missouri.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:02:10 pm »
SNES as a word makes me cringe. S. N. E. S. or Super Nintendo. I'll even settle for "Super".

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 07:19:30 pm »
I've always just said the letters N-E-S

And New Jersey

scott

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 07:27:20 pm »
N E S. No variations ever, lol.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

matt

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 07:31:23 pm »
N.E.S. only.

My biggest gaming peeve is when people call the Genesis "the Sega".

soera

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 07:33:34 pm »
N.E.S and S.N.E.S ... I also say the S.M.S. and the Genesis. P.S 1/2/3/4 and Fuckbox/360/none.

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 07:33:42 pm »
SNES as a word makes me cringe. S. N. E. S. or Super Nintendo. I'll even settle for "Super".

^^^

Same for me.  I'm over in California.

I prefer just saying Nintendo or N.E.S.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 07:40:11 pm »
I've always called it the "regular Nintendo"

thomascozine

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 07:56:39 pm »
I usually say "ness" or spell it N-E-S. But sometimes I catch myself saying "the Nintendo." Since that's what we mainly said back in the day. But when it comes to Super Nintendo I always spell it out S-N-E-S. I can't stand "sness." Why? I have no clue.

I believe I was living in West Virginia when we got the NES. That or North Carolina.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:00:17 pm by thomascozine »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 08:00:30 pm »
N.E.S and S.N.E.S ... I also say the S.M.S. and the Genesis. P.S 1/2/3/4 and Fuckbox/360/none.

Dude, your hatred for the Xbox is amazing!  It's worse than how I feel about your beloved PS1.  :)

soera

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 08:13:03 pm »
How can you hate the PS1? It has at least 1 game for every single player type on the planet and its the originator of the most amazing controllers of all time. :D

90snostalga

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 08:18:20 pm »
How can you hate the PS1? It has at least 1 game for every single player type on the planet and its the originator of the most amazing controllers of all time. :D

Good question.  I'm also seriously curious from watching Turfs game room pic video.  In the video, Turf said something in the nature of you blame the playstation for nintendo's down fall or something?  I'm really curious what you mean?  Like, for you and your friends or something?  I was just curious because thats the first I've heard negative of the playstation so i figured maybe there was something I didnt know that I could learn

soera

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 08:23:06 pm »
Well, Turf is right honestly.

PlayStation was the brainchild of Ken Kutaragi, a Sony executive who had just come out of his hardware engineering division at that time and would later be dubbed as "The Father of the PlayStation".

The console's origins date back to 1988 where it was originally a joint project between Nintendo and Sony to create a CD-ROM for the Super Famicom. Although Nintendo denied the existence of the Sony deal as late as March 1991, Sony revealed a Super Famicom with a built-in CD-ROM drive (that incorporated Green Book technology or CDi) at the Consumer Electronics Show in June 1991. However, a day after the announcement at CES Nintendo announced that it would be breaking its partnership with Sony, opting to go with Philips instead but using the same technology. The deal was broken by Nintendo after they were unable to come to an agreement on how revenue would be split between the two companies. The breaking of the partnership infuriated Sony President Norio Ohga, who responded by appointing Kutaragi with the responsibility of developing of the PlayStation project to rival Nintendo.

At that time, negotiations were still on-going between Nintendo and Sony, with Nintendo offering Sony a "non-gaming role" regarding their new partnership with Philips. This proposal was swiftly rejected by Kutaragi who was facing increasing criticism over his work with regard to entering the video game industry from within Sony. Negotiations officially ended in May 1992 and in order to decide the fate of the PlayStation project, a meeting was held in June 1992, consisting of Sony President Ohga, PlayStation Head Kutaragi and several senior members of Sony's board. At the meeting, Kutaragi unveiled a proprietary CD-ROM-based system he had been working on which involved playing video games with 3D graphics to the board. Eventually, Sony President Ohga decided to retain the project after being reminded by Kutaragi of the humiliation he suffered from Nintendo.

Heh went ahead and quoted the info from Wiki
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:27:28 pm by soera »