Author Topic: The Un-Played Ones...  (Read 3002 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

The Un-Played Ones...
« on: February 03, 2014, 09:51:11 am »
So.

We often talk about our favorite & the best/classic games here -but-

What are the "Biggest" games and/or series that you've never played -and- why?

"Big" can = most popular, classic, favorite, biggest fan-bases, chart-topping, most often mentioned/talked about games, etc.

"Why" can = No interest, too expensive, too rare/hard to find, it's in my backlog, and...I'll get to it one of these days; honest guys, etc, etc...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

Re: The Un-Played Ones...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 10:06:36 am »
StarCraft - I've played Warcraft but never StarCraft. The space theme never really interested me. I've had buddies that were huge into it and would talk about a lot. But it never interested me.

Xenosaga - I looked at it when it came out, but at the time I was tired of sci fi in my RPGs. Of course now I'm interested in playing through it, but can never seem to find copies in the wild.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:08:34 am »
Heh - I forgot to list any of my own  :o

I've never played ANY MMO's...ever.

And, because of my highly-addictive nature/personality...I probably never will  ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 12:04:12 pm »
I really want to play Little Samson. I played the first level (the naughty way) and quit because I liked it so much. I'm holding out until I have the cart to play through.

karyann

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 02:12:41 pm »
Final Fantasy (the numbered, main series). I love RPGs, but I didn't have a PS1, and only got a PS2 late in its life. I have played FF1 on the NES, but that's it. There are so many now that I don't feel like jumping in yet. I have bought a few here and there and will maybe play them someday, but for now, I'm not interested enough.

scott

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 02:14:00 pm »
You need to play Final Fantasy IX!

karyann

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 02:20:32 pm »

Haha I've heard "You need to play Final Fantasy [insert number here]" more often than not :P I'll get to it. Someday. Eventually.

bobster

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 02:32:25 pm »

Haha I've heard "You need to play Final Fantasy [insert number here]" more often than not :P I'll get to it. Someday. Eventually.
For what it's worth, my girlfriend hadn't played any FF besides 10 and 10-2 (and now 14 but that's the new MMO.) I had her start at 4 as that's when the games get more complex and the stories matter. The NES Final Fantasy games just really didn't have much story wise. She played 4 and is playing 5 now and she enjoys them.

If you ever start, start with 4 I'd say.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

scott

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 02:48:28 pm »
Ya I agree with 4 as well. There are some good twists in that game.

I just can't pass up the opportunity to suggest IX, it's full of charm and it has Vivi.

soera

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 04:28:59 pm »
If you are going to start with 1, do not start with the NES version.

Do not start with 2 or 5 or you are going to be disappointed.

3 (the real 3 not the SNES 3) feels like 1.

4/6 (SNES 2/3) are definitely worth starting on. If you do the VC version of 2 on the Wii, you have the option to download all the after years (I dont know any other option to get those)

7 - Awesome game. Definitely my favorite and its worth all the hype

8 - I found this one slow and boring.

9 - Too sappy for me.

10 - An active FMV. I hate this type of game and this is the begining of unhappiness with the FF series.

12 - I have yet to play this although Darko told me its amazing so I will eventually try this one based solely on his recommendation.

13 - Another stupid FMV.

The ones I havent listed, I have not tried. Crystal chronicles I have tried and just hated it. Tactics is a sort of chess type of game and I dont enjoy those.

scott

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 04:42:58 pm »
You can get The After Years in Final Fantasy IV Complete for PSP.

karyann

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 06:02:42 pm »
I had the 1 on NES, but when I found it for the PSP and saw that it's possible to play with Japanese kanas, I started over on the PSP instead. I LOVE how it's possible to save anytime, too. As for Crystal Chronicles and Tactics, I really enjoy both series, personally. They don't seem to have the same amount of fans than the numbered series, sadly.

And I think I kinda killed the  thread with my FF mention haha. Quick, someone talk about how they never played any Zelda game or something!

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 06:26:22 pm »
There's a lot that I don't play, my tastes in games run pretty different than the average but the two biggest that I don't play are:

Super Mario Bros. - Now I have played them, I can't really say I've "never" played them but when I got my NES back in 88 I played Duck Hunt 95% of the time and SMB 5%. Didn't like it and generally, don't care for platformers

Zelda - I've played around with it, and again, like platformers, I don't care for RPG's so you could put Final Fantasy in there too. Don't care for those kind of games.

90snostalga

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 06:32:10 pm »
Mine would be final fantasy as well and one day i'll start with the NES version.  I only played the ps1 7 or 8 one and at that time as a kid, i did not like it.  maybe now i will.  there may be other "big" franchises that I just cant think of but I'll list more if I think of more.  Oh, another one be the original NES mega man series'.  never played any of those.

karyann

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 06:43:17 pm »
Mine would be final fantasy as well and one day i'll start with the NES version.  I only played the ps1 7 or 8 one and at that time as a kid, i did not like it.  maybe now i will.  there may be other "big" franchises that I just cant think of but I'll list more if I think of more.  Oh, another one be the original NES mega man series'.  never played any of those.

Oh, good point. I've played the Battle Network series (and love them), but I just don't like the original Mega Man style (gameplay-wise)