Author Topic: Video Game Completed Section Checklist  (Read 2349 times)

90snostalga

Video Game Completed Section Checklist
« on: February 08, 2014, 02:37:01 am »
Matt, this may be a stupid and lame idea and I don't know if anyone else would agree with me, but what do you think.  What if there was a way to add games to a completed/played list or something?  On my profile texting at the bottom I have my thing x amount of games completed for the year.  But maybe, if nothing adding a database of completed games, just something system wise to show the number of games we have completed?

I don't know what are everyone's thoughts on this...

Re: Video Game Completed Section Checklist
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 03:58:27 am »
Seems like a great, IMO. When I was adding my collection, and wasn't lazy, I was noting whether or not the game was beaten. I would love to see an official area to specify.

argyle

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 06:16:51 am »
I have had this thought as well, it would be interesting to be able to mark which games I've completed. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 07:22:05 am »
Maybe a way to display it on the forums as well? Under where it shows our collection info, maybe another box that shows the stat of beaten games?

karyann

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 08:54:43 am »
I know I've seen the question somewhere else, and Matt answered that he didn't want to clutter game data too much, or else it would eventually feel like filling a form when adding a game to your collection (with too many fields). I think he suggested writing it in the "notes" field, since it can be used for whatever everybody wants!

scott

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 09:12:22 am »
This is what he said about adding a backlog feature when it was asked awhile ago.

As for a backlog, you definitely aren't the first to ask for this feature. My canned response normally was that our #1 focus is on managing a collection and a backlog doesn't really fit into that goal. We'd rather have a narrow set of features that work great as opposed to tons of features that lack polish.

Personally, I feel that our focus is and should always be tracking collection data. If a user wants to track what games they've beaten in their collection, that's why we have user defined notes for every item in your collection. The notes section is a free for all listing that you can put anything you want in, most folk's prolly use it for item condition. But you can use it for anything you want.

He did say awhile ago that he might look into making custom lists (but it's way down the to-do list) and if that comes around, you could make a custom list of games you've beaten.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:42:16 am by scott »
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

90snostalga

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 09:38:33 am »
This is what he said about adding a backlog feature when it was asked awhile ago.

As for a backlog, you definitely aren't the first to ask for this feature. My canned response normally was that our #1 focus is on managing a collection and a backlog doesn't really fit into that goal. We'd rather have a narrow set of features that work great as opposed to tons of features that lack polish.

Personally, I feel that our focus is and should always be tracking collection data. If a user wants to track what games they've been in their collection, that's why we have user defined notes for every item in your collection. The notes section is a free for all listing that you can put anything you want in, most folk's prolly use it for item condition. But you can use it for anything you want.

He did say awhile ago that he might look into making custom lists (but it's way down the to-do list) and if that comes around, you could make a custom list of games you've beaten.

Thanks Scott.  I did not know of that post.  I understand

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 11:50:15 am »

Personally, I feel that our focus is and should always be tracking collection data. If a user wants to track what games they've beaten in their collection, that's why we have user defined notes for every item in your collection. The notes section is a free for all listing that you can put anything you want in, most folk's prolly use it for item condition. But you can use it for anything you want.

This.

SOOooooo much!

No reason that you can't use VGCollect for your collecting & tracking needs along w/ G*FAQ's and/or Backloggery for keeping track of your status with played & un-played games, though...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"