Author Topic: Recommended PC Games To Play:  (Read 1775 times)

90snostalga

Recommended PC Games To Play:
« on: February 26, 2014, 02:05:38 am »
Finally got my computer gaming center set up.  I stole the computer from my kids computer setup in their room and I now have it organized with mine.  That pc is used for older gaming since it has XP, and my new gaming laptop for new games.  All right, so as someone that's a virgin to pc gaming, can anyone please give me a top 10 list of games to play for old pc games and 10 for more current games?  Thanks so much for your time.  I do know the Diablo series is on my wish list to play but that's about all I am certain of.

Additionally, I am using an xbox 360 wired controller to play the games that are capable of using it.  Is this the best pc controller to use, or do you guys have any more recommended controllers, joysticks, or special pc mouses that are fantastic for gaming?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:08:38 am by 90snostalga »

Veilor

Re: Recommended PC Games To Play:
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 09:21:59 am »
For newer games I'd stick with the Xbox 360 controller and get another for older games. Most of the PC games today is configured with the 360 controller in mind, for some reason.

brunauss

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:42:59 pm »
If you like playing the games and modifying absolutely everything, here are my top 4 in this category:

Need for speed III: hot Pursuit
Quake 2
Half-Life GOTY Edition
Unreal Tournament 2004: Editor's Choice Edition

I list these as top choices, not just to make them stand out from other massively mod-able PC games, but because they run stable enough to not crash once you do mod them or attempt to add a bigger work load of polygons for the game engine to digest. I have seen Need for Speed III mods that have double the original polygon count on modded race courses and the game engine handles it just fine.

Modding at this level is actually called total conversion and two of the most famous ones from the past were:

Star Wars TC for Quake 2
Underworld TC for Half-Life GOTY Edition.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 12:57:03 pm »
Anything, everything Valve
Skyrim mods
DayZ
Starcraft 2
League of Legends
Civ 5
The Witcher
Stalker
Company Of Hereos
Minecraft mods
Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm

90snostalga

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 09:12:54 am »
If you like playing the games and modifying absolutely everything, here are my top 4 in this category:

I list these as top choices, not just to make them stand out from other massively mod-able PC games, but because they run stable enough to not crash once you do mod them or attempt to add a bigger work load of polygons for the game engine to digest. I have seen Need for Speed III mods that have double the original polygon count on modded race courses and the game engine handles it just fine.

I actually have this game and played it yesterday  :) and highly enjoyed it.  How do I get mods for it?

htimreimer

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 02:02:13 pm »
the lost crown, this cult classic supernatural themed point and click adventure game from 2008 pushes the limits of the teen rating and provides a dark,disturbing,sad and over all good story with little to no blood, the voice acting ranges from good to decent and the graphics are good and unique, the only real flaw with the game is that it is a bit of a slow burn and sometimes its can be a bit difficult to navigate but some of these flaws are being fixed with the sequels when ever they come out

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 08:44:35 pm »
I still need to play The Lost Crown.  I bought it and installed it, but never played it.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 12:18:41 am »
As a RPG fan, I would strongly recommend:

Exclusives:
Baldur's Gate Series
Divine Divinity
The Elder Scrolls Anthology
Neverwinter Nights Series

Multi-platform:
Dragon Age Series
Fallout 3
Mass Effect Trilogy
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

In my opinion, best way to play these games are on the PC.  Mods, complete downloadable content although pre-order bonuses are a different story, some games are controller-supported if necessary...

Please check out the games I have for sale.

brunauss

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 03:49:00 pm »

I actually have this game and played it yesterday  :) and highly enjoyed it.  How do I get mods for it?

There use to be many websites up and running to support modding for this one. But maintaining them over time got to be too much for the individuals and eventually the websites shut down. At least nothing was lost and was handed over to the only surviving hub for this stuff.

Need for Speed Cars:
http://www.nfscars.net/home/index.aspx
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 03:54:27 pm by brunauss »
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 04:26:41 am »

There use to be many websites up and running to support modding for this one. But maintaining them over time got to be too much for the individuals and eventually the websites shut down. At least nothing was lost and was handed over to the only surviving hub for this stuff.

Need for Speed Cars:
http://www.nfscars.net/home/index.aspx

I appreciate the link.  I'll use it if I ever figure out my pc gaming situation.  I swear I have the worst luck.  Now need for speed will not play.  It gives me an error and goes straight to a black screen. 

sin2beta

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 12:42:11 pm »
Basically anything by Blizzard. They are my second favorite developer after 80s/90s Sega.

Also, check out GOG.com

Pretty much anything by Valve.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 12:47:40 pm »
Basically anything by Blizzard. They are my second favorite developer after 80s/90s Sega.

Pretty much anything by Valve.

These two.

Blizzard did some pretty great stuff in the 90s. Both Diablos, Warcraft (II and III especially)

If you've never done so, do yourself a favor and play Half-Life and it's expansions, for sure. Half-Life 2 is also really good (I've yet to ever finish it though... some day).
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread