Author Topic: Does anyone else save their receipts for all of their game purchases?  (Read 2463 times)

Warmsignal

At least where such receipts apply, like brick and mortar? I do. Not sure why. I think I like preserving the memory of where I got the game and when. Although my memory is quite good with the locations where I bought most any game in my collection, months and years are usually a blur. Sometimes I don't even know what year it is. I just realized VG Collect has a feature where you can enter the date when you purchased.

Bonus question - Does anyone use the notes feature to describe the where's, when's and hows? Or what do you use that for, if anything?

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Does anyone else save their receipts for all of their game purchases?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 01:41:44 am »
I do. It's just one of my quirks. I don't know why, I just save them. I'm weird like that.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 02:00:14 am »
I sometimes do that, I keep the receipt hidden away behind the manual.

I use the notes tab to either describe item specific things (damages, extra leaflets) or because I want to quote a line from the game for shits n giggles.
Sonic Heroes - WHAT GOES UP, MUST COME DOWN
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 - HE'S MY FRIEND, HE'S MY ALIBI

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 03:39:03 am »
I don't save receipts, unless they include pre-order information.  Other than that, after I redeem any applicable pre-order bonus code or Steam Digital Wallet, I shred the receipt.  I don't even put the date of purchase on my games as I don't remember the date I purchased most of my games in my collection.  All I remember is that probably my first purchase started in the late '90s or early 2000s.

I use the notes tab to either describe item specific things
Also, this.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

karyann

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 08:22:44 am »
I started keeping them a while ago just for kicks. I figured that eventually I'd have fun going through the receipts and remembering where/how I found some games, and the prices I paid for them (although now I can see the prices directly here, when I've entered them!)

scott

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 08:29:08 am »
I have a few. Most of the time it's because the company I bought them from slid the receipt into a case. But I do have my receipt for my Nintendo 64 still.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

anruiukimi

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 12:09:03 pm »

While I don't keep the receipts, I have a closet door covered in the little name sticker strips that used to come on PS1/2 games and DVDs and some blu-rays. :) That's probably the closest I've got.

As for the notes, I use them if I remember something specific beyond them, and I note if I'm the original owner of that particular game. That's about it.

kam1kaz3nl77

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 12:30:12 pm »
I did until recently, I scan them in and only save the digital copies of the receipt, until i'm sure there's no warranty left. Still have my first purchase receipt from way back in 1994 of my Super Nintendo

Upcoming Pre-orders:

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 12:30:30 pm »
I try to if I can remember. Its actually a good idea to. You can use them as evidence of purchase in the event of theft.

I also save them if I bought the item from a foreign country. For example the Wii Mini. I bought one in Canada about a year before they came out in the states. Let's say in the future I were to sell the item in the States I have a proof that it was an original Canadian model; pre-US release.

argyle

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 12:32:12 pm »
I usually keep my receipt, tho I'm not as consistent about it as I used to be.  When I remember, I tuck it behind the manual.  But I have no idea why.  :P

As for notes, I will comment on specific things about the game such as if it came with a bonus artbook or soundtrack (I don't note this for CE games because it's implied I have all of the CE content, but sometimes there are preorder bonuses, etc.).  Also I don't like having my collection split between digital & physical when I'm looking at retail games I own.  I wish there was a way to view a complete list of all content for a system no matter how you own it, but since there's not I will add the game to my physical games list & then just make a note that it's the digital copy. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 06:22:52 pm »
I have started doing this, but only recently, and usually with only games I buy new.

One thing related to this that I love is finding other people's old receipts inside the cases of games I find in the wild. Probably the best and most enjoyable one I found was inside a complete copy of Phantasy Star II I found several yeasr ago at a flea market. The receipt was from 1994 and it was bought at some store in New Jersey I have never heard of. I thought it was so cool that it had sat in the case all those years for me to find, really cool :).

scott

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 06:31:19 pm »
Ya I love finding old receipts in game boxes too. But I don't remember any that were really noteworthy.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 07:02:33 pm »
Ya I love finding old receipts in game boxes too. But I don't remember any that were really noteworthy.

I found one in my CIB Metal Storm. It said $6.95. It makes me smile every time.

Warmsignal

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 07:06:15 pm »
There's an old receipt in one of my Sega CD games, I forget which. Think it was from Funcoland and dated around 1994, showed a couple of games the guy had traded in to buy the SCD game.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 07:09:17 pm »
I only keep them long enough for the return period, just in case. Otherwise, no. I've got enough stuff cluttering up my collection room/man-cave as it is.