Author Topic: Video Game Crafts  (Read 8885 times)

argyle

Re: Video Game Crafts
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 03:33:32 pm »
Well, this thread has inspired me.  I'm gonna track down an arcade marquee that I am nostalgic for (leaning towards either Black Tiger or Magic Sword) and build a lightbox for it.  Should be a fun project, and will look great in my game room!  :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

soera

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 03:36:21 pm »
Black Tiger

This is major full of win. My favorite arcade game and the only machine Ill ever own. :)

scott

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 03:41:31 pm »
Well, this thread has inspired me.  I'm gonna track down an arcade marquee that I am nostalgic for (leaning towards either Black Tiger or Magic Sword) and build a lightbox for it.  Should be a fun project, and will look great in my game room!  :)

Ya I'm going to do the same for my Neo Geo marquee. Thinking of making it battery powered with LEDs to help save on the battery life. That way I can still keep it above my game room door w/o any cords dangling.

But, it's not like I don't already have a bunch of game related crafting projects going. >_>
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

argyle

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 04:12:19 pm »
Black Tiger

This is major full of win. My favorite arcade game and the only machine Ill ever own. :)

I'll never forget the first time I discovered that machine.  I had went on a youth church trip to go ice skating for some reason, even tho I didn't ice skate.  :P  So while everyone else was skating I discovered a side room that had a Black Tiger machine and maybe a foosball table.  I fell in love with Black Tiger the first time I played it.   ;D

Ya I'm going to do the same for my Neo Geo marquee. Thinking of making it battery powered with LEDs to help save on the battery life. That way I can still keep it above my game room door w/o any cords dangling.

But, it's not like I don't already have a bunch of game related crafting projects going. >_>

That's a great idea about using LED's & making it battery powered.  Hrm, if I went that route I'd have to make 2 and put one over each of my 2 closet doors - guess I'm getting both BT & MS then! 

BTW, are there pros & cons for original vs. reproduction marquees when making these lightboxes? 
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

scott

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 04:21:12 pm »
If you want to go reproductions. Look at Game On Grafix (linky), these are the folks I go through when I do my MAME cabinets. Last time I got one made was for my Retrotron: 1984 build and I did their "Ultimate mounted on Plexi" it was like $40+ bucks or somethign but looks great.

Alternatively, you can order just the marquee w/ an adhesive backing and put it on your own plexi too.

argyle

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2014, 04:30:21 pm »
Thanks for the link, I'll check them out.  :)

soera

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2014, 04:34:14 pm »
Black Tiger is the game I grew up playing in the arcade. I spent every day's lunch money for school on Black Tiger in the morning and starved all day long but I didnt care. :)

Id love a light marquee box myself.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2014, 01:14:43 am »
These pillows look great! Sewing each little square must be so damn long.  :-\

Pixel quilting is straight forward, if actually somewhat difficult. Too many squares~~~ :P

I occasionally hear a bunch of grumbling from the sewing room/spare bedroom... I go to check in on her and she's tearing out a bunch of stitches because the squares were not lining up again. She's getting quite a bit better and faster at putting these together and keeps asking me for more 8-bit sprites to print out for reference.  ;D

Thinking of making it battery powered with LEDs to help save on the battery life. That way I can still keep it above my game room door w/o any cords dangling.

I looked into going the LED route when I started building them. Opted to go with a fluorescent lamp instead due to too many questions about the LED beam angles, hot spots, brightness and price. Now days the prices have dropped substantially, they're brighter than ever and a diffuser could be used to help eliminate beam angle and hot spot issues. I'll probably keep using the fluorescent tubes to keep prices down on the units I take to conventions but would likely go the LED route for my personal marquee boxes.

soera

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2014, 10:54:41 am »
You have a Black Tiger one? :D If so, bring it to the convention this month.

scott

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2014, 11:33:15 am »
Decided that I need a table in the game room for drinks. So I decided to make a brick and ? Block box for more storage and a small table!

Thinking 20" h x 20" d x 40" long.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2014, 03:44:59 pm »
You have a Black Tiger one? :D If so, bring it to the convention this month.

I don't have one but I'd be happy to build one for you. I poked around a bit on eBay but those seem to be priced rather high. I'll check with my local guys to see if they've come across one.

karyann

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 02:21:15 pm »
I equipped myself today for a few more plushing projects! 1,5 meter of purple fabric is probably gonna be used for a few Gengars :)

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2014, 05:45:33 pm »
I did a bunch of Mario's based on the main NES/SNES Mario's last night for the retro game shop I visited who said he'd be interested in a bunch for the store to show off and to sell for himself and I get trade in credit towards games there which is more than cool with me lol

This one is kinda cool though as it shows big and small mario throughout the early years.

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2014, 12:04:38 am »
Worked hard the past week or so on some new stuff, most of it to sell at the retro game store I've been going to as the dude loves like custom fan art stuff.  It's really cool knowing my stuff is getting put up lol

With that, I did one specifically for the store which is 8 Bit Hall of Fame down in Bonita Springs, Florida.  It was my longest piece at 35" and around 3500 to 4000 beads.  The second one I just finished and it is epic, my biggest piece by far with 7500 beads and 36" long, the Mega Man title shot from the first game looks amazing.  The third I did last week which is Mega Man from the Rock Man version of the games title screen.  Such big Mega Man pieces and I'm not even a huge fan of the original NES ones lol Good games, but I loved how the art looked.

bobster

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2014, 08:51:54 am »
Those are super awesome pieces! How long did it take you to make those pieces kamikazekeeg?
Currently Playing: The Witcher