Author Topic: Starting a youtube channel  (Read 2269 times)

Starting a youtube channel
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:53:17 pm »
So, I've decided to kill some of my free time by starting a Youtube channel where I play/review games. I picked up an elgato so I can record my footage and have pretty much everything else I need. The format I'd like to take is pretty casual, It's going to be from the perspective of just an average gamer. I want to talk about what its like being just an OK gamer playing any particular game. I already know there are a million gaming youtube channels out there; So what can I do to be unique and set myself apart from those other reviews, What would you like to see in an honest review. Im looking for any ideas or suggestions you might all have to help me make this channel a place where people actually want to go to hear about video games. Thanks guys
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:57:06 pm by justin8301 »

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

Re: Starting a youtube channel
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:12:56 pm »
As a fan of defunct-G4TV's (before defunct-TechTV) XPlay, I really enjoyed that the rating system was very straightforward until a few months after being gone. 

5: highly-recommended
4: minor flaws yet good
3: hit-or-miss
2: mostly miss
1: stay away

None of the 0.25 out of 10 that other reviewers had.

If you could give a straightforward review of the game, that would be very awesome, in my opinion.  List out potential positives and negatives to inform fellow gamers of what you found annoying or awesome.  Most likely you will have some bias here and there but who doesn't?

That's what made me a fan of XPlay anyway...  The information helped me gauge a little bit on my decisions of buying particular video games.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 08:18:50 pm »
If you could give a straightforward review of the game, that would be very awesome, in my opinion.  List out potential positives and negatives to inform fellow gamers of what you found annoying or awesome.  Most likely you will have some bias here and there but who doesn't?

This is pretty much my goal, simple straightforward review. I plan on doing 2 videos for each game. The first a full review as I'm playing the game and the second will be a quick 30 second or so summary in case people dont want to actually watch me play.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:59:07 pm »
Look professional. It might sound simple but so many collector videos out there, to be honest, look like crap. Shaking handheld camera, poor incandescent lighting, stuttering speech. Tripods don't cost much and don't be ashamed to record a few takes if you mess up your lines; you can edit later.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:08:38 pm »
Look professional. It might sound simple but so many collector videos out there, to be honest, look like crap. Shaking handheld camera, poor incandescent lighting, stuttering speech. Tripods don't cost much and don't be ashamed to record a few takes if you mess up your lines; you can edit later.

I have a DSLR that shoots 1080p, i got an elgato to record my footage, Not sure about what Im doing for a mic yet but I'll figure that out. The only thing im worried about here is titles and animations. Dont have much experience with that

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:30:57 pm »
You don't want any advice from me.  My videos are shit.  I just think its fun to do.  My wife says it's because I'm so full of myself that I don't enjoy anything as much as looking at myself talk.

My only piece of advice is have fun.  You're probably not going to make a living at it, so just have fun.

We'll back you here.  It seems like we've started our own little YouTube community.  We all "like each other's videos and kiss each other's asses.  It's fun.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:33:03 pm by turf »

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 10:11:49 pm »
Lol sounds good to me, I have no idea how long its going to take for me to get my first video up, but rest assured when i finally do, I'll post it here for you all to check out. I think I'm going to go old school on the first one. I've got an itch to play some Adventures of Dino Riki so I'll start there

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 10:47:04 pm »
I want to know if the game has issues/flaws. ease of control. did the game drag or was it about the right length
how many hours you had played on the game and if it has last ability.

PS. my wife said she wants to see boobs

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 10:54:02 pm »
I want to know if the game has issues/flaws. ease of control. did the game drag or was it about the right length
how many hours you had played on the game and if it has last ability.

I like your wife. Well done, sir.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 10:58:13 pm »

Lol, well i have man boobs, does that count?

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 11:18:31 pm »
Oh, another thing. Im going to be displaying gameplay footage most of the time. Do you think its necessary to record myself and have picture in picture or would the gameplay be enough?

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 11:31:48 pm »
Start easy. The worst videos are the videos that never get made. Gameplay is enough. The picture in picture is nice. But sometimes it can be a hassle that makes putting off editing a video easy to do.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 11:32:26 pm »
Oh, another thing. Im going to be displaying gameplay footage most of the time. Do you think its necessary to record myself and have picture in picture or would the gameplay be enough?

You could try it both ways and see which one you like better. I watch folks with it both ways and it doesn't really bother me one way or the other. I'll be sure to check it out once you are up and rolling.

sin2beta

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 11:39:46 pm »
You don't want any advice from me.  My videos are shit.  I just think its fun to do.  My wife says it's because I'm so full of myself that I don't enjoy anything as much as looking at myself talk.

My only piece of advice is have fun.  You're probably not going to make a living at it, so just have fun.

We'll back you here.  It seems like we've started our own little YouTube community.  We all "like each other's videos and kiss each other's asses.  It's fun.

It is fun. I'm glad to see it slowly take hold. RetroCollect (the European VGCollect basically) has/had a really strong youtube community. I like seeing it take hold here. Some of the more serious communities get together on Google Hangouts and essentially stream/record a podcast just chatting with each other. It's fun.

I still need to get my camera setup to do pickups and the like. But I also need to get the next episode of SG-Awesome out.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

foxhack

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 12:28:45 am »
Stop making me want to make videoooooooooooooooooooooos. ;_;