Author Topic: What all game genres do you enjoy playing and how would you order them?  (Read 2618 times)

Warmsignal

In an order from most favorite to least, and exclude the genres you don't play.

For me it goes a little something like this: Action RPG > JRPG > WRPG > Platformer > Action Adventure > Hack and Slash/Dungeon Crawl > Rhythm/Music > Beat em Up/Brawler > First Person Shooter > Third Person Shooter > Classic Adventure/Visual Novel > Puzzle > Shoot em Up/Cute em Up > SRPG > Tower Defense > Fighter > Racing > Sim

My favorites are 3D Platforming (Banjo-Kazooie, Jak & Daxter, Mario 64), Shooters (Battlefield series, TF2, Metro, STALKER, Fallout 3), Action/Adventure (Zelda, Skyrim), RPG (Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy 7), and Cart Racers (Sonic All Stars Transformed, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart).  My least favorites are sim games, realistic racing games, and sports, not sure what else I'd put at the bottom lol
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:36:19 pm by kamikazekeeg »

foxhack

Doesn't suck > Sucks > Sports.

sin2beta

Racing
Rhythm
RTS
Beat em Up
Shmup
Platformer
High Score Fests (70s/80s arcades)
Run n Gun
Hack n Slash
Fighting

The rest really depends on the game way more than the genre. RPGs are tough to put in the category. I always REALLY enjoy the first hour of an RPG. After that I kinda forget about them. But Phantasy Star, Shenmue, Mass Effect, I REALLY like.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

This is why we need a like button.

scott

No precise order:

Arcade SHMUPs
Bullet-Hell SHMUPs
Castlevania
Hack n Slash
Racing
RPG
Rhythm (mostly Guitar Hero & Rock Band)
Sandbox
Stealth
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:05:12 pm by scott »
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Indeed.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Mine:

1. Action-RPGs
2. Metroidvania
3. 2D Shoot-Em Up (but not bullet-hells)
4. 2D Platformers (action-platformers, pure-platformers, or run-n-guns)
5. Action/Adventure
6. Survival-Horror (this really pertains specifically to Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, and Parasite Eve games)
7. First-Person Shooters (but not squad-based or realistic-military ones)
8. Guitar Hero/Rock Band
9. JRPGs (they really have to be good, and not too cutesy for me, so I'm quite picky with my JRPGs)
10. Tony Hawk games
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:28:37 pm by burningdoom »

foxhack

Indeed.

And nobody finds my enjoyment of bad games wrong? :P

It's not that I'm not a fan of sports games. I love Nintendo World Cup and the like, it's just that most are cookie cutter / roster updates and... not my style.

The best sports games are ones that don't actually emulate the sport very well lol NBA Jam, NFL Blitz...uhh...probably the Mario and Mega Man soccer games.  Mario generally had fun takes on sports stuff.

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: What all game genres do you enjoy playing and how would you order them?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 11:27:56 pm »
The best sports games are ones that don't actually emulate the sport very well lol NBA Jam, NFL Blitz...uhh...probably the Mario and Mega Man soccer games.  Mario generally had fun takes on sports stuff.
They may not add much each year, but sports games are fun. I like NCAA Football, NBA 2K, and Tiger Woods. They're fun.

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 11:38:37 pm »
They may not add much each year, but sports games are fun. I like NCAA Football, NBA 2K, and Tiger Woods. They're fun.

Eh, I find sports games dull, just as I find watching the actual sports to be dull, so playing a dull genre involving something I find dull to watch, makes for a dull experience.  Then you just add the sloppy yearly releases onto them and it puts them at the bottom of the barrel for gaming to me lol

It's like why I don't like realistic racing games, because there isn't anything all that fun to a car that handles like a real car, but being able to crash stupidly in Burnout or use weapons in something like Mario Kart or Sonic All Stars or have stupid huge set pieces like in Split/Second makes racing super awesome lol

Warmsignal

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 12:17:09 am »

Never would have thought you'd prefer to play games that you like over ones that you don't. Playing ones you don't like before playing sports? That I could see.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 12:18:56 am by Warmsignal »

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 12:18:01 am »

^  This....  Oh so, so this....

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 02:18:58 pm »
Mario Golf for the Gameboy Advance was a fun RPG/Sports game that I enjoyed.

From least to greatest, also putting sub-genres into the main category...  Sports, Music, Fighting, Shooter, Simulation, Strategy, Hybrid, Platformer, RPG.

Please check out the games I have for sale.