Author Topic: Which PSP should I buy?  (Read 1653 times)

darko

Which PSP should I buy?
« on: December 13, 2011, 10:40:21 am »
So I've been getting into PSP finally (had one off and on since launch). I have the original model. I was playing it last night and realized that I'd really like to have a newer version of the thing. I haven't really kept up with all of the newer renditions at all. Can you guys recommend one to me? I want to be able to play UMD games so I know the GO is out. Other than that I'm open to suggestions.

scott

Re: Which PSP should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 12:31:40 pm »
I love my 2000 model. Its lighter than the original 1000 I had and the screen is much nicer. was thinking of updating to the 3000 but heard the screen isn't as nice as the 2000‘s.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:19:16 pm »
Like @scott said the 2000 model is probably your best bet.  If you plan on replacing the firmware then the 1000 is the only one that works 100%.  The 2000 models depend on the board version inside and it can be hard to tell.

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:21:18 pm »
I have a 3000 and am pretty happy with it.  There are a lot of videos on Youtube and images comparing the 2000 & 3000 in case you're interested in that sort of thing.  I was planning on getting a 2000 but the boyf bought me a 3000 as a surprise...  you know how those things go :P
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:15:47 am »
boyf

Those boyfs, always thinking one step ahead.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:40:42 am »
My 1000 is already running custom firmware. I'll probably keep the new one updated through Sony since I don't really need 2 softmodded psps.

I'm leaning towards the 2000. I can buy one all day for $100 from just about any store (used). I just have to find one that isn't completely destroyed.

If anyone here has one that they want to get rid of that's near perfect I'm interested :)

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:50:46 am »
The price has been dropping lately... maybe even more once the Vita is out?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 07:48:45 pm »
If you plan on replacing the firmware then the 1000 is the only one that works 100%.  The 2000 models depend on the board version inside and it can be hard to tell.

My 1000 is already running custom firmware. I'll probably keep the new one updated through Sony since I don't really need 2 softmodded psps.

Actually the newest PRO custom firmware can run on any PSP model, even the 3000 and GO, and actually runs on top of the latest 6.60 official firmware. Your PSP boots into the official firmware first and then you run a program from the game menu to boot into the custom firmware. It stays on the CFW until you reset your PSP.

I've been running it for about a week and everything seems to work fine, all my emulators and game backups run great.

As for which one to buy I've owned both the 1000 and the 2000 and the 2000, in my opinion, is much better. It's smaller, much lighter, and has a better screen. While I haven't owned a 3000 I have played one and at least the early models had pretty noticeable ghosting when stuff moved around on screen.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 12:15:11 am »
@climhazard  by "reset" you mean power off correct?  I think I have a friend doing this on one of the later 2000s.  I'd just hate to re-run it everytime.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 12:50:54 am »
Yeah, the CFW stays active until you power off and the PSP boots into the OFW when you power back on.

It's actually not that big of a hassle running every time you want to use the CFW. It only takes a few seconds and it stays active in standby mode.
They do have a flasher that makes the installation permanent but it only works with compatible 1k and 2k models.

I've often toyed around with the idea of buying a second PSP that would be kept updated with the OFW but now I don't have to.
Having to wait a few extra seconds to boot into the CFW for that is worth it in my opinion.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 12:52:06 pm »
Ah ok Sounds good.  In that case I'd try to wait to for the month of Feb and jump on a reduced price 3000 :D  I'm sure local classifieds will be full of them as people try to raise the money for a PS Vita as well.