Author Topic: Do You Collect to Play, or Do You Collect to Collect?  (Read 15323 times)

Re: Do You Collect to Play, or Do You Collect to Collect?
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2014, 09:06:28 pm »
Seems legit.

Big difference between Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World lol Technically it is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, something I'm kinda unsure why they really went with other than they were probably unsure if the game would sell as well on its own under just Yoshi's Island, but most everyone just calls it Yoshi's Island in conversation.

This is Super Mario World.

Still doesn't make Yoshi's Island for babies just because of its colorful artstyle lol

Also the N64 is one of my favorite consoles.  The controller isn't great, but it has some of my favorite games on it.

dreama1

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2014, 09:06:58 pm »
I dont think Nintendo is crap (other than the N64) but some people are seriously blinded by their nostalgia of the NES/SNES. Reading a few days worth of threads on Nintendo age will show anyone that.
Well there like the baptist church no reasoning. You're right the n64 is more overhyped than the NES the damn system is 90% racing games. Also no 3rd party support hardly, and no rpgs wtf? I don't know how any company could fall apart so much in such a short time from the SNES to N64.

soera

« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2014, 09:10:56 pm »
The N64 is one of the worst post-video game crash consoles ever made. There isnt one legit RPG on the console (Dont get me started on paper mario as an RPG and tactical RPGs are as boring as the chess game they are modeled after) and its library of 296 games has about 50% of it consisting of sports and racing titles which is the gaming equivalent of landfill waste. The controller was made for a 3 armed alien and in the world of disks and games with massive space for massive content, it stuck with cartridges and limited the amount of content it could play on a single game. I will give the cartridge credit for its durability but thats as far as anything good that can be said about the N64.

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2014, 09:12:17 pm »
The N64 is one of the worst post-video game crash consoles ever made. There isnt one legit RPG on the console (Dont get me started on paper mario as an RPG and tactical RPGs are as boring as the chess game they are modeled after) and its library of 296 games has about 50% of it consisting of sports and racing titles which is the gaming equivalent of landfill waste. The controller was made for a 3 armed alien and in the world of disks and games with massive space for massive content, it stuck with cartridges and limited the amount of content it could play on a single game. I will give the cartridge credit for its durability but thats as far as anything good that can be said about the N64.

*Sniffs, curling up in the corner with his arctic blue N64* It's okay...I still love you... :'(

soera

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2014, 09:13:05 pm »
Heh you mentioned a lot of the stuff I was saying.

The N64 had hope but when it abandoned its contract with Sony, it lost thus birthing the greatest chain of consoles ever - The playstation.

soera

« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2014, 09:14:46 pm »

*Sniffs, curling up in the corner with his arctic blue N64* It's okay...I still love you... :'(

Hah! I do think that the colored consoles look neat displayed. There is a guy on Nintendo age that collects all of them including the special JP ones and its definitely appealing to look at. I just wish the Gamecube had as many options. I got the black/indigo/silver and really want to pick up the orange and especially that mint Tales one.

dreama1

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2014, 09:17:01 pm »
It's got starcraft 64 lol splitscreen is cute. Only thing I recall is golden eye 007 and zelda being the redeeming factors of that system. But still not saying much. Sega saturn only had what like 40 less games than the n64?

Bwigdahl

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2014, 09:35:29 pm »

Quest 64!

dreama1

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2014, 09:41:38 pm »

Quest 64!

We thou not suppose to speak of thou name here.  It's offensive.

Suppose zelda is kinddddddddddddddddd of a rpg. But no promises.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:46:09 pm by dreama1 »

Warmsignal

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2014, 09:47:08 pm »

That's a pretty hard knock at the racing genre. Racing games can be a lot of fun. I had a blast with San Fransisco Rush, Beetle Adventure Racing, Cruisin', and Mario Kart back in the day. Those are definitely not landfill waste. I guess if RPGs define gaming for you, then yeah, the N64 showed you no love. But, if you have a well rounded taste for other things, I don't see why you couldn't have a ton of fun with the N64. Action, Adventure, defining FPS titles, Platformers, Racing, Fighting (mostly in the form of Wrastlin') and stuff like that are covered well. No matter what label you give Paper Mario, I thought it was a great game (great series, in fact).

Does a console need to deliver on every genre before it's any good? Not really. Not if the games it does have are good, and well, superior to the competition's line up of the same games. There's some types of games I really like that are very poorly represented on the Saturn, but I still think it's a good console for what it does deliver on. If you are looking for something that has it all, PS1 was your safe bet. That doesn't mean it had the best games in every genre, so you can't really call it the best console just because it did have them. It's complicated, but the N64 was great, at least I think so.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:48:59 pm by Warmsignal »

pacpix

« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2014, 09:48:03 pm »

The N64 was my favorite console to play when I was younger, and sadly I agree with Soera on this one.  Most of the library is absolute garbage.  The games worth owning on the system though are fantastic, games like Ocarina of Time and Mario Kart 64 justify the purchase of an N64 in my opinion.  No way that I would ever want to collect a complete set though.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

Bwigdahl

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2014, 09:50:26 pm »
Ha! yeah. N64 isn't great and I realize that most of my fondness for it is due to nostalgia, but there are some damn fine games for it (not everything has to be an RPG Soera  :P ). Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Mario 64, Ocarina/Majora's Mask, Goemon, Jet Force Gemini, and of course the classic Superman 64. And then there are a bunch of just flat out fun multiplayer games like the Mario Party/Mario sports titles, Duke Nukem 64, Goldeneye, Smash Bros, Mario Kart and the finest wrestling game I've ever played WWF No Mercy... Overall, there is a lot of shit on that system, yeah, and it's probably my least favorite of all of Nintendo's consoles. But there is still fun to be had on it to this day.

dreama1

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2014, 09:57:55 pm »

That's a pretty hard knock at the racing genre. Racing games can be a lot of fun. I had a blast with San Fransisco Rush, Beetle Adventure Racing, Cruisin', and Mario Kart back in the day. Those are definitely not landfill waste. I guess if RPGS define gaming for you, then yeah, the N64 showed you no love. But, if you have a well rounded taste for other things, I don't see why you couldn't have a ton of fun with the N64. Action, Adventure, defining FPS titles, Platformers, Racing, Fighting (mostly in the form of Wrastlin') and stuff like that are covered well. No matter what label you give Paper Mario, I thought it was a great game (great series, in fact).

Does a console need to deliver on every genre before it's any good? Not really. Not if the games it does have are good, and well, superior to the competition's line up of the same games. There's some types of games I really like that are very poorly represented on the Saturn, but I still think it's a good console for what it does deliver on. If you are looking for something that has it all, PS1 was your safe bet. That doesn't mean it had the best games in every genre, so you can't really call it the best console just because it did have them. It's complicated, but the N64 was great, at least I think so.
I don't see how having a console 90% racing games can be defined as balanced. Racing games are fun but come on how many  racing games could you possibly wish to play unless your a car fanatic, or something then maybe that's great. Take away the RARE made games on n64 and then n64 looks like an atari jaguar.

If you want balance playstation 1 is the way to go for balance.

Please do enlightenment what types of games that are very poorly represented on the Saturn?

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2014, 10:14:04 pm »
My Master System Converter and quest for a working Sega CDX are irrational desires since I really don't have any "must have" games in my wish list for those systems.

Ill take that converter off your hands then! Ive been looking for one for months but the prices are absurd.

Soera, mine is a Power Base Mini from Stone Age Gamer. It was on sale for $20 when I got it but now goes for $35. The downside is 3d glasses and card based games do not work with it. The upside is it's made from all brand new components so it should last a long time.

I own Double Dragon for the SMS just so I have something to test it with. But I am researching the SMS library to find other games I _should_ own now that I have it. :)

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/powerbase-mini.html

90snostalga

« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2014, 10:23:16 pm »
I dont think Nintendo is crap (other than the N64) but some people are seriously blinded by their nostalgia of the NES/SNES. Reading a few days worth of threads on Nintendo age will show anyone that.

Your just mad because your Dream never got Casted!  lol  ;)