Author Topic: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games  (Read 226611 times)

argyle

Re: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2014, 05:10:07 pm »
Hehe, I saw those two early this morning and thought I might actually beat ya to the punch on them Abe.  Then I got busy, so that didn't happen.  :P  I'll get 'em added as soon as I get a chance tho! :D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2014, 12:24:46 pm »
Just noticed that Samurai Warriors 4 doesn't seem to be up here yet. It releases on the PS3, PS4, & PS Vita in NA on October 21st, and in Europe on the 24th. Not sure about physical releases though, the only one I can find up for preorder so far (on Amazon anyways) is the PS4 version. :-\
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2014, 01:45:42 pm »
OK, got everything updated.  :)  According to Koei-Tecmo's official press release, PS3 & Vita are digital only on SW4, PS4 is physical (and there are no MS releases of it at all).

Man, we're getting a ton of 'Warriors stuff all at once.  I have the new Gundam Warriors on the way to me now (UK import so I could get it on disk ;) ) and I put down a preorder for Hyrule Warriors yesterday.  I might put one down for Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate as well, haven't decided yet - SW4 will have to wait tho. 
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

soera

« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2014, 01:04:00 am »
PFfffffffft!

As if disgaeniac didn't hear about the successor to GFP *Months* ago  :P

And yeah - no such thing as too much enthusiasm here, Abe  ;)

Also, the Vita & its growing library makes me happy, too  ;D

Yaaay enthusiasm. ;D Thanks guys.
Is the Guided Fate Paradox really that good? There's a used copy at my local EB Games for $20 that I've been on the fence about buying. I might go buy it this morning before I start work if you think I'd probably like it as much as you do.

I haven't played it yet (started it last night but didn't make it to any actual gameplay) but based on what I know about it + Disgaeniac's praise, I'd say it fully depends on your feelings towards Rogue-likes.  If you like the genre it seems like a very safe bet. 

EDIT:  Also a heads up guys.  Best Buy currently has the Premium Edition of Persona Q listed online for $50 (instead of the normal $80).  I'm told they honor these kinds of price mistakes as well, but regardless there's no harm in putting in a preorder & seeing what happens.  :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/persona-q-shadow-of-the-labyrinth-nintendo-3ds/7377002.p?id=1219267476503&skuId=7377002&st=persona%20q&lp=1&cp=1

Damn you!!!! I already have enough stuff on pre-order and was actually considering this game but now its ordered. :P

You're not alone, I had already decided to wait on this game because the Premium Ed. was too rich for my blood so I figured I'd just wait on the standard to drop in price.  And now....not.  :P

Congrats to anyone who got in on this. Its out of stock now. :)

abe

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2014, 06:25:37 am »
No new announcements or anything as far as I know, but NIS America put up a their official website for Criminal Girls: Invite Only. Kinda surprising, given how far away we are from its launch (Spring 2015 for those of you who've forgotten already). Apparently there will be some mild censorship to make it "available in as many regions as possible" or something like that. However, no features will be removed from the game (like the Mugen Souls bathing minigames were). I'm still shocked we're even getting this. :o

Here's the link for those of you who're interested in hearing more:
http://nisamerica.com/games/criminal_girls/home.html
(You miiiight not want to look at it anywhere you wouldn't watch something about Senran Kagura or Akiba's Trip, i.e. your workplace)

argyle

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2014, 08:44:24 am »

Rumor is no one may have gotten in on it, supposedly they're calling it an incorrect listing so we'll see what happens.  Not canceling mine (yet), waiting to see if they at least give out an apology store credit or something. 

And I watched the Criminal Girls trailer last week and found it...creepy. Kinda bothers me that they're putting so many of these "grope the young girls" games on the Vita - Monster Monpiece is another one that looked like a really fun game, if it wasn't for that weirdness they threw in.  :o

abe

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2014, 03:16:51 pm »

Rumor is no one may have gotten in on it, supposedly they're calling it an incorrect listing so we'll see what happens.  Not canceling mine (yet), waiting to see if they at least give out an apology store credit or something. 

And I watched the Criminal Girls trailer last week and found it...creepy. Kinda bothers me that they're putting so many of these "grope the young girls" games on the Vita - Monster Monpiece is another one that looked like a really fun game, if it wasn't for that weirdness they threw in.  :o

I'm not really sure why so many fanservice games have been getting localized lately. This sort of weird stuff used to stay in Japan. A couple years ago it would've been unthinkable that we'd get Akiba's Trip, or Senran Kagura. Even Conception II was a bit of an odd choice, with the whole creepy "classmating" thing going on (and the pervy priest who watches the "classmating rituals"). Eugh, hearing it dubbed in english makes it even creepier. :(

argyle

« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2014, 03:33:00 pm »

I'm not really sure why so many fanservice games have been getting localized lately. This sort of weird stuff used to stay in Japan. A couple years ago it would've been unthinkable that we'd get Akiba's Trip, or Senran Kagura. Even Conception II was a bit of an odd choice, with the whole creepy "classmating" thing going on (and the pervy priest who watches the "classmating rituals"). Eugh, hearing it dubbed in english makes it even creepier. :(

Conception II *is* weird, but at least they keep it to vague innuendo.  I thought the gameplay shots of Akiba's Trip looked fun, but I am concerned as to how far it goes as well (if it's as fan-service-y as Senran Kagura, then I'll have to pass). 

Some people on other forums I frequent complained about the "censoring" that was done to the Mugen Souls games, but honestly had they NOT cut out those super-creepy bath mini-games I would have let those pass as well.  I don't mind a little fan service within limits, but please let's leave kids (and saying in the manual that the character actually ISN'T a kid even tho they clearly look like one doesn't cut it) out of it. 

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2014, 04:13:06 pm »
I've got my own rules that I follow when it comes to Fan-Servicey games.

I'll never skip a game that I want to otherwise play because it has it (I mean - I 'get' & agree that some of the things w/ younger aged characters can be creepy)

-and-

I'll never skip a game that I otherwise want to play because it's had Fan-Service removed/censored.

Pixels on a screen can never offend me that much & lack of pixels on a screen can never be a deal-breaker; IMO...of course  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2014, 04:25:40 pm »
I've got my own rules that I follow when it comes to Fan-Servicey games.

I'll never skip a game that I want to otherwise play because it has it (I mean - I 'get' & agree that some of the things w/ younger aged characters can be creepy)

-and-

I'll never skip a game that I otherwise want to play because it's had Fan-Service removed/censored.

Pixels on a screen can never offend me that much & lack of pixels on a screen can never be a deal-breaker; IMO...of course  8)

Sure, I get that, and I'm certainly not judging anyone who chooses to play games I don't for whatever reason - that would be silly of me. 

In a perfect world, they would make those scenes optional & just let you choose up front if you want to experience them or not (I'm talking specifically about the mini-games here). 

abe

« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2014, 04:35:19 pm »
In a perfect world, we'd always get physical versions of all the games ever. Well, in mine anyways. :P

More on topic of the thread, weird Japanese game releases! This one isn't upcoming though, it just released (today maybe?) without any warning (or fanfare). This one is Rabi Laby 3, a $5 3DS eShop game from a series I've never heard of. From what I've read, the first two were DSiWare games. Apparently they're puzzle-platformer games... aaaaand that's about all I can tell you. Honestly, pretty tempting for only $5. ;)

argyle

« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2014, 04:39:20 pm »
My copy of One Piece: Unlimited World Red should be there when I get home tonight.  Looking forward to checking that out, and playing some more Gundam Reborn, and Guided Fate...and finishing up Fallout 3.  Argh!  :o

argyle

« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2014, 09:25:35 pm »
FYI, Best Buy is giving a $10 gift card w/ the preorder of Natural Doctrine for either PS3 or PS4.  $5 for the Vita version. 

argyle

« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2014, 11:10:23 pm »
In spite of the shame of posting 3 times in a row in my own thread, I gotta say this - One Piece Unlimited World Red is *AWESOME*!  ;D It's literally like you're playing episodes of the anime, and it looks gorgeous.  Not very familiar with the anime?  Neither am I!  But these characters are a riot, and it just so darned pretty and fun that it doesn't much matter.  I'd classify it as an action-RPG (you level up, gain new abilities, get "words" you can equip and I'm pretty sure you even start to get side quests at some point - I'm only an hour in right now).  This is just a fantastic game, pure fun from the start.  I'd recommend one of the console versions too - I'm sure it plays OK on the Vita, but the game is SO PRETTY with so much going on all the time that it seems a crime not to play it on a big screen.

I know I'm still very early in, but I'm gonna go ahead & say this one gets my seal of approval - highly recommended! ;)

karyann

« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2014, 10:06:49 am »

Conception II *is* weird, but at least they keep it to vague innuendo.  I thought the gameplay shots of Akiba's Trip looked fun, but I am concerned as to how far it goes as well (if it's as fan-service-y as Senran Kagura, then I'll have to pass). 

Some people on other forums I frequent complained about the "censoring" that was done to the Mugen Souls games, but honestly had they NOT cut out those super-creepy bath mini-games I would have let those pass as well.  I don't mind a little fan service within limits, but please let's leave kids (and saying in the manual that the character actually ISN'T a kid even tho they clearly look like one doesn't cut it) out of it.

Conception II only has innuendo, the only sexual stuff in there is text, so I don't mind it at all. The only thing I don't really like about the game is the maze thing, I don't know exactly why, but I have a hard time navigating in there and I don't find that part really fun. Nevertheless, the game is fun to me :)