Author Topic: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games  (Read 226659 times)

abe

Re: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games
« Reply #255 on: October 09, 2014, 08:00:46 pm »
Not sure if this really counts as "niche" (don't know where else to put this), but the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy has been given a release date of December 9th in North America. It'll be $29.99 on launch. Unfortunately, it's only going to be released on the eShop over here. :-\
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #256 on: October 09, 2014, 10:21:16 pm »
Not sure if this really counts as "niche" (don't know where else to put this), but the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy has been given a release date of December 9th in North America. It'll be $29.99 on launch. Unfortunately, it's only going to be released on the eShop over here. :-\

Yeah, I'm super bummed that it's not a physical release. :( Will probably get it anyway, eventually. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #257 on: October 10, 2014, 07:53:45 am »
think I've already got all 3 of the DS games....
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

« Reply #258 on: October 10, 2014, 08:46:28 am »

There are some minor improvements made to the compilation, but nothing huge from what I've seen. There's not much of a reason to pick it up if you've already got all three. Unless of course you really like the series and want another way to play them.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #259 on: October 10, 2014, 09:16:39 am »

There are some minor improvements made to the compilation, but nothing huge from what I've seen. There's not much of a reason to pick it up if you've already got all three. Unless of course you really like the series and want another way to play them.

Maybe if it wasn't digital only, and if it was playable on a console/TV, I might be sold..

argyle

« Reply #260 on: October 10, 2014, 09:26:34 am »
They're higher res so will look better if, like me, you've never played them before:

If you HAVE already played them, then yeah, I'd probably give this one a pass.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #261 on: October 10, 2014, 10:52:13 am »
In your side-by-side shots, obviously - one looks better than the other --But-- IMO...not all *that* much better.

Honestly, if I didn't already have all 3 games & I wanted them; it'd really come down to "The (MY) Big 3" - (1) preference, (2) situation, and (3) budget/money.

*Preference* (for me) *always* = physical (owning it) >>>>>>>>>> digital (renting it),

*Situation* *always* = A game I just want to try/check out vs. one that I'll want to replay, hold onto (if it's something that I think will only become harder to find & more expensive to replace down the road), and...is it something that falls into the category of filling in a blank as a part of a system, series, genre, etc. that I'm already looking/collecting for? and

*Budget/Money* *always* = If I have no interest in these 3 games, other than to play through them once & be done with them, then - what's cheaper, to buy the 3 old games individually or to by the newer trilogy?

In this example - not having checked on the going rate for the 3 Pheonix Wright games on the DS in years...I'm going to assume that (since, iirc, years ago - when I last looked, they weren't exactly cheap games) buying/renting the trilogy should be considerably cheaper than buying up the 3 older games would be.

I don't have the time right now to research this further & find out the cost of replacing my 3 sealed DS Pheonix Wright games vs. the cost of buying the new trilogy --but-- if anyone else has the time, interest, and/or curiosity to find out...I'd be interested in hearing the results  8)

desocietas

« Reply #262 on: October 10, 2014, 11:50:52 am »
They're higher res so will look better if, like me, you've never played them before:

If you HAVE already played them, then yeah, I'd probably give this one a pass.

I was really excited to hear about the trilogy, and they said they re-drew everything (comparison shots: http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2014/09/24/new-ace-attorney-trilogy-comparison-screens-show-difference-in-visual-quality), but AFAIK, there are no other changes with the game/gameplay.  I'd get it if they added another case or something like that, but I'm happy with my DS versions.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #263 on: October 10, 2014, 01:01:20 pm »
Those shots look pretty similar to the iOS release.  Was hoping it'd be cheaper as I'd prefer having it on the 3DS, but... :(

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

abe

« Reply #264 on: October 10, 2014, 04:31:30 pm »
Chou Megami Shinkou: Gekishin Black Heart (PS Vita) has been announced for a North American release! So excited! ;D Over here, the game will be called Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Blackheart. It has been given a release date of "early 2015" so far. Seems to be releasing not long after Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2: Sisters Generation (PS Vita). Hyperdevotion Noire is a strategy RPG based off of the Neptunia franchise, and features chibi characters from the main series as well as many new additions.

There's no english trailers yet that I know of, so here's a Japanese gameplay trailer:

abe

« Reply #265 on: October 16, 2014, 02:24:57 pm »
A couple games have finally have some release dates now.
-Guilty Gear Xrd Sign (PS3&4) releases on December the 16th in North America. (Official announcement)
-Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart (PS Vita) releases on February 24th in North America according to Amazon. It might not be correct, but Amazon is usually fairly accurate.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2014, 03:10:50 pm »
-Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart (PS Vita) releases on February 24th in North America according to Amazon. It might not be correct, but Amazon is usually fairly accurate.

What do you know about this "Noire" game, Abe?

I know and have heard absolutely nothing about it!

abe

« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2014, 05:37:15 pm »

What do you know about this "Noire" game, Abe?

I know and have heard absolutely nothing about it!

It's a spinoff of the Neptunia series featuring the character Noire/Black Heart, and is a turn-based grid-based SRPG. The characters are all in a cutesy chibi form in this particular game. As usual, there's the usual characters parodying game consoles, game companies and other game related things, but quite a few new ones got added to this game. To name a few most of the new characters added, there's new characters parodying Dragon Quest, Dynasty Warriors, Fairy Fencer F, Hatsune Miku, Idolm@ster, Metal Gear Solid, Monster Hunter, Opoona, Resident Evil, and Yakuza. If you want to read something a bit more in-depth that I can't really fit in this post, I'd recommend this article: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/23/battles-noire-strategy-rpg-spinoff-work/

It's got a review score of 31/40 from Famitsu (a pretty good score), and sold pretty well on its launch in Japan as well. That paired with it being from one of my favorite game franchises makes me pretty excited. ;D

Here's a screenshot to give you an idea of what it looks like:

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #268 on: October 17, 2014, 07:23:42 am »
Thanks Abe - looks like something I'd like too.

Know if it's PSTV compatible?

argyle

« Reply #269 on: October 17, 2014, 09:45:27 am »
A couple games have finally have some release dates now.
-Guilty Gear Xrd Sign (PS3&4) releases on December the 16th in North America. (Official announcement)

Thanks, updated! :) And that Neptunia tactics spin-off does look really good.

I'd really like to pickup Guilty Gear in Dec., but I'll have to see how things go between now & then. My wife really enjoys the Blazblue games but she's never played a GG and I think she'd love it just as much. Still don't understand why we haven't seen pics of that limited edition tho.  :-\