Author Topic: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games  (Read 226656 times)

abe

Re: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games
« Reply #360 on: December 16, 2014, 10:07:50 am »
Steins;Gate is coming to the PS3 and PS Vita in North America in 2015!! ;D What's even better is that the publisher, PQube, is aiming for a physical release! ;D So much hype! ;D (Yes, I just triple posted, but I figured the posts were made far enough apart for it not to matter)

Source: http://gematsu.com/2014/12/steinsgate-coming-ps3-ps-vita-west
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #361 on: December 16, 2014, 12:17:33 pm »
What's Stein's Gate like/about?

I've heard the name before but, that's about it...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

davifus

« Reply #362 on: December 16, 2014, 03:18:35 pm »
Steins;Gate is coming to the PS3 and PS Vita in North America in 2015!! ;D What's even better is that the publisher, PQube, is aiming for a physical release! ;D So much hype! ;D (Yes, I just triple posted, but I figured the posts were made far enough apart for it not to matter)

Source: http://gematsu.com/2014/12/steinsgate-coming-ps3-ps-vita-west

Awesome,  I can finally stop crying about physical pc release I missed.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

abe

« Reply #363 on: December 16, 2014, 03:23:05 pm »
What's Stein's Gate like/about?

I've heard the name before but, that's about it...

It's about a lot of things, one of those things is time travel (though for most of the story the characters themselves aren't actually traveling through time). It revolves around a group of university students. It's f***ing awesome. ;D I've only watched the anime adaptation though. :-[ It's also a visual novel, which means you'll get lots of playtime out of it. The PC version already saw a limited physical release not that long ago (which I missed out on :'(), but I've really been hoping we'd get some of the ports localized (complete with physical releases). I honestly thought this would never happen, so it's a really pleasant surprise. If you want to get a good idea of what the story is like, the anime adaptation should be on Netflix by now and you can check out a couple episodes there.

davifus

« Reply #364 on: December 16, 2014, 03:45:02 pm »
el psy congroo...
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

argyle

« Reply #365 on: December 17, 2014, 01:22:03 am »
Awakened Fate Ultimatum LE is up for preorder:

http://store.nisamerica.com/the-awakened-fate-ultimatum

I passed on the Atelier set, but that one I bit on. Looks like it has a few extras beyond the NISA standards, and the price is right. Especially after my $5 gc. ;)

I've been super busy at work this week, but hopefully will get some time to update the OP tomorrow - I did see the Stein's Gate news tho and was happy to hear about that. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #366 on: December 17, 2014, 08:24:18 am »
Holy wow, more news! Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy (PS Vita) has been announced for localization and is anticipated to see a western release in spring of 2015. The game was known as Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss when it was released in Japan, and is a cyberpunk-themed dungeon crawling rpg. The game comes from the same developer responsible for Demon Gaze (PS Vita), so I've got a good feeling about this game. A sequel was recently announced for Japan, and if this game does well enough we might get to see its sequel localized eventually too. :)

I haven't found any English trailers yet, so here's its Japanese trailer from last year, to give you some idea of what it's like.

*Edit: I just read that Disgaea 5 (PS4) has been given a [slightly] more solid western release of fall 2015. Aside from that, it has also been given a subtitle. The English release will be known as Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance.
According to this article:
In Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance, you will lead Killia and his tenacious army of rebels in their struggle against Dark Void. Along their dark path to vengeance, you will encounter more hilarious writing, over-the-top animations, and absurd damage numbers than anyone has seen in a Disgaea game. Ever.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:38:49 am by abe »

argyle

« Reply #367 on: December 18, 2014, 11:47:46 am »
OK, I think I've got all the new additions & updates taken care of in the OP - let me know if I missed any. :)

Also, I'm thinking about just including all JRPGs in the post niche or not, since this is pretty much where we all talk about them anyway (and niche status is so easily debatable on top of that). 
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #368 on: December 18, 2014, 11:52:11 am »
I like the all jrpg's idea!

What is this (gibberish word/name for a game) "Disgaea" of which you speak, sir abe :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

« Reply #369 on: December 18, 2014, 08:32:15 pm »
News incoming! Idea Factory International will be localizing Hyperdimension Neptunia U (PS Vita) and the game will see a release in the west this spring of 2015. Hyperdimension Neptunia U is a spinoff of the Neptunia series and was developed by Tamsoft. The game plays similarly to games in the Dynasty Warriors series. It's nice to see that Idea Factory International has been taking good care of the series lately. :)

Here's a trailer for those of you who are curious

abe

« Reply #370 on: January 05, 2015, 08:12:56 pm »
Harvest December, a visual novel for the 3DS has been confirmed for localization to the west by Circle Entertainment. It was released in Japan on the eShop by individual chapters, and will be localized in the same manner. According to the publisher, localization has only started recently and it will likely be a couple of months before we see the first chapter. It's nice to see that visual novels have been gaining in popularity over here. :)

Some more info here

argyle

« Reply #371 on: January 06, 2015, 06:03:42 pm »
I've let this thread get way behind over the holidays - are their any more I missed besides the last 2 you posted abe? (I'm pretty sure there are...  :-\ )

Lemme know & I'll get it caught up, add the other maybe-not-so-niche JRPGs and generally give the OP a nice refresh for the new year. :D

abe

« Reply #372 on: January 06, 2015, 09:37:06 pm »
I've let this thread get way behind over the holidays - are their any more I missed besides the last 2 you posted abe? (I'm pretty sure there are...  :-\ )

Other than those two, I think the only announcement I didn't bother making a post for was the release date for Brandish: The Dark Revenant (PSP). Xseed has been slightly less vague and we've now got a release date of January 2015 instead of just "early 2015". Still no solid date though. Unfortunately, the holidays have been kinda slow for localization announcements (for games that belong in this thread anyways). :( Lots of stuff has been announced for Japan that I'd like to see make it over here though. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:40:57 pm by abe »

abe

« Reply #373 on: January 10, 2015, 08:58:00 am »
This one hasn't been announced for North America yet, but Europe is getting it and the PS3 is region-free (and I thought it was neat) so I figured I'd post it here. The Arland Atelier Trilogy will be releasing for the PS3 on March 6th in Europe. The game includes Atelier Rorona, Totori, and Meruru. Unfortunately, the "plus" versions of the games are not the ones included in this trilogy.

desocietas

« Reply #374 on: January 10, 2015, 02:03:57 pm »
This one hasn't been announced for North America yet, but Europe is getting it and the PS3 is region-free (and I thought it was neat) so I figured I'd post it here. The Arland Atelier Trilogy will be releasing for the PS3 on March 6th in Europe. The game includes Atelier Rorona, Totori, and Meruru. Unfortunately, the "plus" versions of the games are not the ones included in this trilogy.

Aw that sucks. I'm playing Atelier Iris right now and have been thinking about picking up the others but am annoyed that the plus versions are digital only...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas