Author Topic: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games  (Read 226580 times)

abe

Re: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games
« Reply #450 on: February 05, 2015, 10:39:45 am »
There's been a new Persona 5 trailer released, which shows actual gameplay, so I've added it to the OP.  Here it is as well:

The hype intensifies. I didn't think I could be more excited than I already was, but I am now. It looks sooooooooo awesome! ;D
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #451 on: February 05, 2015, 11:20:25 am »
Abe -

Is Persona your favorite series?

Mine's Shadow Hearts (which, IMO, in & of itself - would win the "PS2 >     >    >   >  > than the (e)XBox" for RPG's" 'discussion' we had awhile ago.

What's your favorite Persona game & version?
(Anybody & everybody can chime in here:)

From the Persona series, I've only played (read: loved & spent many hours with!) Persona 3 FES & Persona 4.

I've played & loved some other SMT games, though - like Nocturne + Digital Devil Saga(s) 1 and 2 (my personal favorite!)

I'd vote:

both DDS games > Persona 3 > Nocturne > Persona 4.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #452 on: February 05, 2015, 11:32:48 am »
I've never finished a Persona game - actually, the only SMT game I've finished is Nocturne, and it would easily be my #1. I really enjoyed what I played of the first DDS as well as P4, and I got a long way in both of those. As to which one of those 2 is better...probably P4, but they're very different games.

How is/was there ever any debate between RPGs on the PS2 vs Xbox??  :o

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #453 on: February 05, 2015, 11:34:07 am »
Abe -

Mine's Shadow Hearts (which, IMO, in & of itself - would win the "PS2 >     >    >   >  > than the (e)XBox" for RPG's" 'discussion' we had awhile ago.

From the Persona series, I've only played (read: loved & spent many hours with!) Persona 3 FES & Persona 4.

I've played & loved some other SMT games, though - like Nocturne + Digital Devil Saga(s) 1 and 2 (my personal favorite!)

I'd vote:

I'd have a hard time saying any one series is my favorite. If I had to narrow down my favorite game series/franchises of all time, they'd be Persona, Disgaea, Mega Man, and Fire Emblem. That's cutting out a lot of my other favorites too. :-[

The only two Persona games I've played are Persona 3 Portable (PSP) and Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita) and I've played them thoroughly and loved every minute of them. I intend to get the plat for P4G at some point as well. My personal favorite of the two would probably be Persona 3 Portable, even though I will acknowledge that P4G is a better port of its original PS2 version.

The only other games from the SMT franchise I have are SMT IV (3DS) and SMT Nocturne (PS2). I enjoyed IV, but haven't finished it and I haven't even opened my copy of Nocturne yet. :P

I do believe it was in this silly argument provoking thread: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,5798.0.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:39:30 am by abe »

abe

« Reply #454 on: February 05, 2015, 01:39:19 pm »
Ooooh. Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven (3DS) has been rated by the ESRB, further suggesting that the game will see a North American release. I can't imagine it will be too long before we get an official localization announcement from Xseed. :)

davifus

« Reply #455 on: February 05, 2015, 01:53:19 pm »
Abe -

I'd vote:

P4G marie is the best
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

desocietas

« Reply #456 on: February 05, 2015, 02:11:37 pm »
I've never finished a Persona game - actually, the only SMT game I've finished is Nocturne, and it would easily be my #1. I really enjoyed what I played of the first DDS as well as P4, and I got a long way in both of those. As to which one of those 2 is better...probably P4, but they're very different games.

I've also never finished a Persona OR SMT game, haha (but folks who know me know I don't finish any of my games really).  I loved Persona 3FES, but I think a lot of it was going into it having no idea what to expect and being blown away by the style, music, and story.  My first SMT game was DDS1, and I loved that one as well.  Persona 4 was fun, but nowhere near as good as what I loved about P3.

I don't know if I can play Persona Q, Dancing All Night, and definitely not Persona 4 Arena/Ultimax until I've finished Persona 4, but I'm *definitely* going to fire up Persona 5, no matter if I've finished 3 or 4.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

abe

« Reply #457 on: February 06, 2015, 11:34:53 am »
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (New 3DS) has been given a release date in North America! The game is set for a release on April 10th. I wonder if Nintendo will drastically underproduce this one like they seem to be with everything else lately. Even if initial shipments on this one are pretty low, I feel like this won't end up being rare like Xenoblade was on the Wii.

*Edit: Here's the purdy artwork. According to the article I read, you'll be able to use the Shulk Amiibo to unlock stuff in the game.

*Edit2:
The Hyperdimension Neptunia Hypercollection is a real thing now, and it's releasing in Europe for the PS3 on April the 3rd. The collection contains the first three games in the series, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2, and Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory. No word yet on whether it will be released in North America or not, but it will be very import friendly.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 03:08:38 pm by abe »

karyann

« Reply #458 on: February 06, 2015, 04:14:58 pm »
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (New 3DS) has been given a release date in North America! The game is set for a release on April 10th. I wonder if Nintendo will drastically underproduce this one like they seem to be with everything else lately. Even if initial shipments on this one are pretty low, I feel like this won't end up being rare like Xenoblade was on the Wii.

*Edit: Here's the purdy artwork. According to the article I read, you'll be able to use the Shulk Amiibo to unlock stuff in the game.

*Edit2:
The Hyperdimension Neptunia Hypercollection is a real thing now, and it's releasing in Europe for the PS3 on April the 3rd. The collection contains the first three games in the series, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2, and Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory. No word yet on whether it will be released in North America or not, but it will be very import friendly.

Damn, and here I thought skipping the Shulk amiibo was a good idea.  :-\

Edit: Seeing as it wasn't in the database yet, I just created it to add to my wishlist: http://vgcollect.com/item/77250
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:23:26 pm by karyann »

argyle

« Reply #459 on: February 06, 2015, 04:24:41 pm »

*Edit2:

Read that about Xenoblade, very cool. :) But about the Neptunia collection - is is the original games or the Vita re-releases? I could have sworn when I originally read about it they said it was going to be the enhanced versions.  :-\

EDIT: Read up & answered my own question - they are the original versions. :( Guess that means I'll be picking up the Vita versions at some point, I guess since I can play them on the Playstation TV I'll eventually have it's the same difference anyway.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:50:08 pm by argyle »
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

rachel

« Reply #460 on: February 06, 2015, 06:35:35 pm »
Glad to hear from other Neptunia fans! I didn't keep up with PS3 releases much while I was in grad school, so I completely missed hearing about this series until now.

I just picked up a used copy of mk2 and am enjoying all strange and wonderful references to old game consoles. (DECO tapes! What!) Hopefully I chose an OK place in the series to start.

I'm kind of curious whether there are any in-depth fan guides that point out all of the references. There's a wikia that has a decent amount of information, but surely the developers had to hand over some kind of massive reference guide to the localizers, right...?

abe

« Reply #461 on: February 06, 2015, 06:49:02 pm »
Glad to hear from other Neptunia fans! I didn't keep up with PS3 releases much while I was in grad school, so I completely missed hearing about this series until now.

I just picked up a used copy of mk2 and am enjoying all strange and wonderful references to old game consoles. (DECO tapes! What!) Hopefully I chose an OK place in the series to start.

I'm kind of curious whether there are any in-depth fan guides that point out all of the references. There's a wikia that has a decent amount of information, but surely the developers had to hand over some kind of massive reference guide to the localizers, right...?

Yeah, mk2 is an alright place to start. Gameplay-wise, it's a big improvement over the original, but not as good as HDN Victory. It's also a bit on the short side unless you aim to complete all of the different endings. I believe mk2 had the most different endings of all the games, but as I said it's a tad short. It only took me 16 hours to reach the normal ending.

As for the fan guides... I have no idea. :P

argyle

« Reply #462 on: February 06, 2015, 07:23:22 pm »

desocietas

« Reply #463 on: February 06, 2015, 07:46:06 pm »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

abe

« Reply #464 on: February 06, 2015, 07:49:13 pm »