Author Topic: what do you think was one of the biggest screwups by a game company?  (Read 2587 times)

I thought of this thread among recent news of the possibility that the later blitz games were one of the biggest hits to middays financial stability. If you remember, in the original few blitz games, nfl offered the license, but midway refused. In the end, after being forced to use fake teams for years, the same hit series came and helped with their death.

It did not help things when nfl street came out. I swear ea just brought those out to kill the competition then ditch the series. Hell, they did it with skate.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

M$' E3 reveal of their..."Vision" of what the XBone was going to be & how everything was(n't) going to work on it  :-\

TL;DR = "#dealwithit"   :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

I thought of this thread among recent news of the possibility that the later blitz games were one of the biggest hits to middays financial stability. If you remember, in the original few blitz games, nfl offered the license, but midway refused. In the end, after being forced to use fake teams for years, the same hit series came and helped with their death.

Wasn't the first game called NFL Blitz?  I don't think Midway ever refused to use the NFL license.  :o

I heard on Adam Koralik's youtube channel that supposedly Grand Theft Auto 3 was originally being developed as a Dreamcast exclusive, however in mid development, Sega announced they were discontinuing the Dreamcast so Rockstar shifted development to the PS2 hardware. You can't blame Sega for not holding out for GTA3, it was definitely a lot bigger then anyone could have anticipated, but knowing that this game could have single handed saved the Dreamcast and Sega as a hardware business in general really leaves a sour feeling in the pit of my stomach. Oh, what could have been. . .

Jagex changing Runescape so drastically that everyone stopped playing. It's finally becoming good again but it may be a little too late.

pacpix

Jagex changing Runescape so drastically that everyone stopped playing. It's finally becoming good again but it may be a little too late.
I finally quit when the combat system was changed after playing F2P since 2008.  I found it to be clunky and annoying more than fun.  I would probably like 2007Scape, but I do not feel like starting over and I actually like the Grand Exchange unlike most older members...
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

I finally quit when the combat system was changed after playing F2P since 2008.  I found it to be clunky and annoying more than fun.  I would probably like 2007Scape, but I do not feel like starting over and I actually like the Grand Exchange unlike most older members...

I like it too but i finally got to playing the real game again since there is an option that chooses all your attacks for you. I've been playing since 2004 and it's just soo.. ugh. i just don't know anymore. i want it to be like the old days, but i realize it needs to change. Life is hard.

dashv

PRO Supporter

Square remaking every FF game so far except FF9 & 7.

I actually liked 9 better than 7.

But I'd love to see a remake of either or (preferably) both.

ET?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: what do you think was one of the biggest screwups by a game company?
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 08:12:15 pm »

You win. It's hard to argue that one.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

dashv

PRO Supporter

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 11:14:21 pm »

Heheheh...  I was going to say the same company, only my reasoning would be the creation of Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy X-XIV.  Also the Final Fantasy VII sequels, is it just me that thinks Cloud wasn't that brooding on the original game compared to the film, Dissidia, and Kingdom Hearts?

The Sega 32X system.  I believe this was the system that Sega rushed so badly that developers did not have the time to create great games for it.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 11:55:12 pm »

Heheheh...  I was going to say the same company, only my reasoning would be the creation of Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy X-XIV.  Also the Final Fantasy VII sequels, is it just me that thinks Cloud wasn't that brooding on the original game compared to the film, Dissidia, and Kingdom Hearts?

The Sega 32X system.  I believe this was the system that Sega rushed so badly that developers did not have the time to create great games for it.

I liked FF7 Crisis Core. Bought a psp just to play it. I also enjoyed Advent Children. The Blu ray was much better than the DVD.

But yeah, I couldn't really get into X and up.

I always thought the 32x is what the Sega CD should have been.

What made them think the 61 colors of the Genesis would be sufficient for fmv!?