Author Topic: Things you miss, but can't get back  (Read 12623 times)

Things you miss, but can't get back
« on: July 17, 2014, 02:06:45 pm »
After starting to collect video games and lot of other stuff I either wanted or had when I was younger is making me realize how much I miss everything else.  I used to play hockey and lacrosse starting with the clinics before kindergarten all the way until I graduated high school and I being able to play competitively.  I play pickup games sometimes whenever they have them, but the skill level usually just isn't there and there's no intensity to it.  Luckily things like video games are easy to get back, but what do you guys miss from being a kid but can't get back?

abe

Re: Things you miss, but can't get back
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:25:39 pm »
Recess was the shit. I'll never get to experience recess again. :'(
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 03:51:56 pm »
Well, since I'm still into comic books and video games, I never really let go of my childhood things I loved.

I do, however, miss rental places. Browsing through the movie categories that were chock full of stuff you never heard of. Renting the latest game coming out. Getting free popcorn with our purchases. Arguing movies and games with the workers.

Heck, ours even had a sort of console arcade. They had all the big systems at the time (NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, N64, PS1, and even Jaguar) set-up to play. You could play any game they had that wasn't rented out. You'd pay by the hour. As kids we spent a lot of money there.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 04:18:15 pm »
Saturday morning cartoons!!!!! 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:55:01 pm by gartcat »

fiveforfightng

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:49:12 pm »
I miss birthday parties, which still happen, I'm sure, but not for people my age.

I miss being able to just go to a friend's house and not having it be weird. Now we just would rather stay home.

I miss when people had conversations with only one person at a time, and not on their phones at the same time. Phones are cool, but they have taken over our lives.

I miss when everyone used to listen to the radio. Now everyone uses Spotify or Pandora, which isn't real radio.
Now Playing: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

scott

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:58:31 pm »
Summer Vacation, and a swimming pool...
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

maximo310

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 08:06:22 pm »
Seeing people you know just chillin outside making it easy to start conversations. Now, there is no one outside just to hang or play anymore and many people in my neighborhood are confined indoors except for a few old people.

Warmsignal

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 01:29:41 am »
+1 for the era before smart phones.

Also, old friends, pets, stores that no longer exist / when the mall used to seem like a cool place to go.

Hopes, dreams, ambitions, etc.

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 05:35:36 pm »
I miss my youth and innocence

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 10:49:41 am »
I really miss the Radio Shack Outlet Store. That place was great. Of course, this was back in the day before they became nothing more than a cell phone dealer. They had racks of clearance gear that didn't sell, store returns that still worked fine and the glorious "Bargain Basement." The Bargain Basement had shelves stuffed full of broken gear that you could pick up on the super cheap (RC cars for $1 and stuff like that) for attempting repairs or parting out for other projects. They also dropped quite a few Tandy computers in there as they upgraded their various stores to newer hardware. So much awesome stuff back there for the electronics hobbyist.

Saturday morning cartoons!!!!!

This.

I work at a small independent TV station and have tried to bring back some Saturday morning cartoons. Due to a lot of the regulations in place for advertising it would make it extremely difficult for us to recoup any of the costs. Being as small as we are, operating at a loss for that time spot would be far more damaging than larger stations. Ultimately we wind up running religious, hunting, sports and infomercial programming on the weekends.  :'( I guess I shouldn't be sad as it means I still get a paycheck, but it's still the principle of the thing.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 12:10:08 pm »
I miss East vs West, with the Berlin wall. But it might come back  :P

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 03:27:13 pm »
I miss birthday parties, which still happen, I'm sure, but not for people my age.

I miss being able to just go to a friend's house and not having it be weird. Now we just would rather stay home.

I miss when people had conversations with only one person at a time, and not on their phones at the same time. Phones are cool, but they have taken over our lives.

I miss when everyone used to listen to the radio. Now everyone uses Spotify or Pandora, which isn't real radio.
I miss all of these too.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

spac316

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 03:41:58 am »
I miss dedicated Arcades. They are few and far between.

90snostalga

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 10:15:20 am »
I miss my youth in general and mainly just having friends to hang with and have fun. Now I'm old with no friends and no matter what life sucks and then we die...

90snostalga

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 10:26:33 am »
Well, since I'm still into comic books and video games, I never really let go of my childhood things I loved.

I do, however, miss rental places. Browsing through the movie categories that were chock full of stuff you never heard of. Renting the latest game coming out. Getting free popcorn with our purchases. Arguing movies and games with the workers.

Agreed. The era when I could go to a blockbuster to rent a game or movie and have an actual blockbuster night was so much fun. And the era when not everyone could go online to search for everything. I also miss listening to cassette tapes and seeing them in store. Everything about my child hood I miss :'(