Author Topic: Gamestop Sticker Gunk  (Read 1822 times)

Gamestop Sticker Gunk
« on: July 17, 2014, 09:34:29 pm »
Anyone have any good tips for removing the crap that Gamestop stickers leave behind when you peel off the prices? They really need to come up with a better option to show their prices on an item...

scott

Re: Gamestop Sticker Gunk
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:37:00 pm »
Goo Gone works wonders. I use that exclusively now-a-days. I've also had limited success with rubbing alcohol as well.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

tpugmire

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 09:59:03 pm »
Lighter fluid, seriously.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:14:58 pm »
Heat them up with a hair dryer before you peel them off. It takes a little more time, but there's no mess to clean up.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 10:25:44 pm »
Heat them up with a hair dryer before you peel them off. It takes a little more time, but there's no mess to clean up.

I need to try this next time, it's too late this time. I've already peeled them off and have the residue crap leftover. Will try Goo Gone.

argyle

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 11:04:20 pm »
Your absolute best bet is if you can peel MOST of it off, then use the sticker itself to remove the rest.

Goo Gone works well, but it's a little...greasy.  Honestly, if it's bad enough that the sticker method won't clean it up, then I try to find another case I can swap it out with (I keep some spares, if I ever trade in a game I swap it into one of the crappy cases first). 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 02:12:09 am »
Your absolute best bet is if you can peel MOST of it off, then use the sticker itself to remove the rest.

Goo Gone works well, but it's a little...greasy.  Honestly, if it's bad enough that the sticker method won't clean it up, then I try to find another case I can swap it out with (I keep some spares, if I ever trade in a game I swap it into one of the crappy cases first).
Goo Gone's grease is annoying. What I'll do is use Goo Gone to get the sticker entirely off, then wash the case with soap like you would a dish. It takes a tad longer to do, and drying the cases is really boring but it gets the cases to be as clean as I want them. Heck, I'm drying a case I just washed right now.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 02:45:04 am »
What I'll do is use Goo Gone to get the sticker entirely off, then wash the case with soap like you would a dish.

This is exactly what I do!

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 03:05:38 am »
Heat, goo gone and a mister clean magic eraser are what I use, just take your time with it, take the insert out and be patient with it. My thrift stores put awful stickers on all of the games as well and it takes a good 15 to 20 mins to get everything off

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 08:32:32 am »
Get a can of Naptha, which is the ingredient in lighter fluid as someone already mentioned.  It's also sold as varnish thinner/remover at home improvement stores.  It takes stickers right off and doesn't leave anything behind.  Do NOT use Goof Off on a cartridge game, it dissolves the plastic (from experience).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:35:24 am by gartcat »

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 01:12:49 pm »
I always use paint thinner. I put some on a rag, wipe the gunk off, then wipe it again with a damp towel. Works in a second. I hate those stickers.
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

spac316

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 01:36:44 pm »
Yeah, I use Goo Gone as well. It is greasy and has an oily smell to it but I wipe it off with a wet paper towel after use so no big deal.

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 01:41:28 pm »

This is exactly what I do. Just some patience and careful peeling, and I can get everything off without the use of any chemicals.  Using the sticker itself is the best way I've found to remove just the tiny spots where the adhesive remains on the plastic case.

Unfortunately there are times when this doesn't apply - sometimes the sticker has been hardened by sun damage or something, so it doesn't peel away without becoming brittle and flakey.  Also, this doesn't not work easily if they applied the sticker directly to the cover art (which I find happens less often in my area these days).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 07:52:15 pm »
Yeah, the hair dryer method+ being careful when peeling those stickers off has been helpful at removing most of the stickers. However, I hate when the stickers are sometimes on the spine of the art insert and its already breaking apart, so it becomes a bigger chore to fix. I've only had a few cases of that so far.

coopcouple

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 10:18:10 pm »
I use Arctic Clean Thermal compound remover. Can usually find it at Radio Shack. Put a few drops on the sticker, let is soak through for a minute, and it peels right off. Typically doesn't leave a residue or grease behind.
We're just a couple of game collectors... A collector couple. We've been doing it for a while, so check out our site for game-finding tips and other gaming related goodies. www.coopcouple.com