Author Topic: Will this site be here forever?  (Read 1128 times)

Will this site be here forever?
« on: August 09, 2014, 03:26:13 pm »
Hey just found out about the site, but I'm just curious as to if this will ever shut down or anything like that.  I'm not tech savvy and don't really know how websites work as it is, but I just didn't want to go through and put all my stuff in my collection, then in a couple years have this shut down.  Or is it more of how the google cloud thing is and this is will be here indefinitely?  Just because even if theres only a slight chance it might disappear someday, I'd rather just record my collection as an excel and save it multiple places so I always have it. 

scott

Re: Will this site be here forever?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 03:41:57 pm »
VGC has has been around for 3 years now. We've weathered a horrible server failure near the end of year one. We've had folk stick with us through that and in the time since amassed a community filled with awesome people.

I don't we us going anywhere, any time soon.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 04:27:51 pm »
Well no one can tell the future. Nothing is "indefinite." If Google were to close its doors tomorrow there wouldn't be a Google Cloud.

VGCollect does have the ability to export your collection to a spread sheet. So even if you don't plan on sticking around you could build up your collection and then save it to your computer.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 05:25:29 pm »
nothing lasts forever, including our collections and including ourselves, so I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the site

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 11:25:26 pm »
Well no one can tell the future. Nothing is "indefinite." If Google were to close its doors tomorrow there wouldn't be a Google Cloud.

VGCollect does have the ability to export your collection to a spread sheet. So even if you don't plan on sticking around you could build up your collection and then save it to your computer.

^^^ This ^^^

I've used this site to manage what I keep in my collection, what I'm looking to add (don't overlook the wishlist feature!) and also what I am open to selling/trading.

I've used the export feature to get excel (csv) spreadsheets to share with folks on google docs for other uses.

Use it today. Export your list from time to time just in case and enjoy the community in the meantime. :)

I'm still kinda new but I already love these guys and gals!

spac316

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 04:47:02 am »
I certainly hope so. :)

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 04:50:08 am »
And just to be save, i have my own database  ;)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 07:59:16 am »
Ashes to ashes...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"