Author Topic: Night Trap ReVamped  (Read 1582 times)

Night Trap ReVamped
« on: August 12, 2014, 03:39:05 pm »
Did you guys see that they are going to be rereleasing Night Trap in 1080p ? They have a kickstarter going right now and it looks like the PS3 and 360 are getting physical copies!!!!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Night Trap ReVamped
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 03:51:01 pm »
Nice, I've always wanted to play this, but it's not worth buying a 3DO or Sega CD/32X combo for it.

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 01:22:36 am »
What's the ESRB rating?   :D
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 02:08:06 am »
Did you guys see that they are going to be rereleasing Night Trap in 1080p ? They have a kickstarter going right now and it looks like the PS3 and 360 are getting physical copies!!!!

Awesome. :)

Now we just need an HD upgrade of the 3DO version of demolition mans and my desire for a 3DO will be quenched.

Please provide a link to the kick starter!

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:20:06 am »
http://kotaku.com/night-trap-creators-defend-sloppy-kickstarter-sorta-1620307753

Don't get your hopes up though, things are sounding sketchy.  Lots of flip flopping along with very undefined answers to issues people have.  For me, as I was reading it, it's also not going to be a retail release.  The physical copies will only be made by the amount of tiers they sell.  Kickstarter only physical release.  They then say that a download version is questionable and started discussing stuff on the Google and Apple app store, and the issues there for it, but nothing about an actual platform on PC that could easily handle some old game like Night Trap.

It boggles my mind really and they are saying at the rate it is going, it has no chance of even making it's amount anyways.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 03:33:03 am »
http://kotaku.com/night-trap-creators-defend-sloppy-kickstarter-sorta-1620307753

Don't get your hopes up though, things are sounding sketchy.  Lots of flip flopping along with very undefined answers to issues people have.  For me, as I was reading it, it's also not going to be a retail release.  The physical copies will only be made by the amount of tiers they sell.  Kickstarter only physical release.  They then say that a download version is questionable and started discussing stuff on the Google and Apple app store, and the issues there for it, but nothing about an actual platform on PC that could easily handle some old game like Night Trap.

It boggles my mind really and they are saying at the rate it is going, it has no chance of even making it's amount anyways.

To be honest the Kotaku interviewer seemed clearly biased to me from the start.

His interview reads more like a police interrogation/witch hunt.

Many of the the sympathizers in the comments sound like folks that know jack shit about development but think they know it all because they own an iPhone, have streamed some video, and once saw the movie Hackers.

The technical challenges these guys present for mobile are perfectly valid. (I'm both a developer and a streaming content provider).

PC will be physical release like the PS3 and 360.

They are only raising $330,000 because they already have a serious amount of their own skin in the game. How much exactly they can't disclose because of NDAs with the folks they are working with.

They aren't expecting to make huge amounts of money hence the limited production run for supporters.

Plenty of kickstarter film projects give honorary "producer" and "executive producer" titles to folks that make significant money or other resource contributions to the project.

And the guy cut the interview short because it was probably clear by then that the interviewer was just trolling and trying to trip him up and twist his responses.

Honestly, I would have hung up on him too.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:36:07 am by dashv »

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 04:30:26 am »
It's very possible the Kotaku piece was going after them, but it wasn't just them that were questioning things.  We'll see as it does seem like it's not likely for them to make it to their goal unless they get some sort of crazy amount of hype somehow.  Personally, I never saw the interest in the game.  It just seemed like one of those games that got attention because of it's weird concept and that controversy it got slapped with, but was undeserved.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 02:54:07 pm »
I always thought that game was kind of clusterf$%k myself, part of the appeal for me was that Dana Plato was in it (for some reason) & the unwarranted attention it got over violence in video games early on.  It couldn't have been originally shot in HD, so I wonder if they would have to re-shoot the whole thing?  At that point, they might as well try to make Night Trap: The Next Night  :D.  I had the 32X CD version though, maybe it was a better experience on 3DO.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 07:06:02 pm »
It couldn't have been originally shot in HD, so I wonder if they would have to re-shoot the whole thing?

Assuming they have the original video source; they won't need to re-shoot it. Plenty of old films have been re-transferred and released in 1080p.

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 07:14:06 pm »
It couldn't have been originally shot in HD, so I wonder if they would have to re-shoot the whole thing?

Assuming they have the original video source; they won't need to re-shoot it. Plenty of old films have been re-transferred and released in 1080p.

If they used standard tape cameras, they won't be able to get anything more than 480i video out of it.

If they used film... then maybe, but Digital Pictures didn't need good quality footage to begin with because of the game's display limitations.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 10:35:28 pm »
They shot it on 35mm theatre grade film stock.

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 10:49:30 pm »

Well there you go. they shouldn't have any issues with transferring that to 1080p digital, again assuming they kept the masters.

foxhack

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 11:09:37 pm »

Do the reels still exist? Are they in someone's possession?

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 02:55:00 am »

Do the reels still exist? Are they in someone's possession?

The two running the Kickstarter are from the original team that made it.

They not only have the originals, they've already done the digital transfer.

All they want now is to recoup what it cost them to buy the rights from the now defunct company that held them and to have _some_ help with paying for the 3rd party developers that will re-write the game engine.

I think at first folks though it was an illegitimate fan project. Now that it's clear it's real I think people are confused because they are only asking for part of the money required to complete it. They have already invested nearly half a million themselves out of pocket.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:58:48 am by dashv »