Author Topic: Anime/Manga/Etc...  (Read 110490 times)

davifus

Re: Anime/Manga/Etc...
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2014, 11:24:20 am »
From my memory they usually don't but don't take my word for it
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2014, 07:51:08 pm »
Can't wait to watch Hellsing once it premieres on Toonami.  Too cheap to buy anime these days, although Cowboy Bebop and Gurren Lagann are definite buys when I have the chance to go to an electronics store who has them.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

abe

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2014, 08:28:38 pm »
Can't wait to watch Hellsing once it premieres on Toonami.  Too cheap to buy anime these days, although Cowboy Bebop and Gurren Lagann are definite buys when I have the chance to go to an electronics store who has them.

Are they airing the original Hellsing TV series, or the vastly superior Hellsing Ultimate?
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2014, 10:15:55 pm »

Are they airing the original Hellsing TV series, or the vastly superior Hellsing Ultimate?

my guess is the original which honestly has one of my favorite opening songs and my favorite closing song

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2014, 10:59:19 pm »
Checked the Toonami Schedule and it's Hellsing Ultimate, which is the much better choice.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2014, 01:02:11 am »
Sorry, I forgot.  I only remember Hellsing and that's what I wrote.  :-[

Didn't know there are two kinds.  Is the difference similar to Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood?

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2014, 02:29:06 am »
Sorry, I forgot.  I only remember Hellsing and that's what I wrote.  :-[

Didn't know there are two kinds.  Is the difference similar to Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood?

Not sure, haven't watched Brotherhood, but the difference between Hellsing and Ultimate is basically the first movie kinda remakes part of the first season of the original show and then it goes into an entirely new plot that I believe is supposed to follow more closely with the manga.  Can't say for sure with that, but Ultimate is an extremely better show lol

Been watching Barakamon which is pretty good.  It's about a calligraphy artist who after a mishap with a prominent critic, is sent away to an out of the way village on an island to pull himself together.  Learns to let loose after coming to meet the very friendly village which is a very new experience to him as a city boy from Tokyo.  Some good humor, nice animation, and it never gets too serious beyond the feel good moments it needs to show.
There's also an amazing Abridged series for it lol
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 02:33:42 am by kamikazekeeg »

davifus

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2014, 03:03:23 am »

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2014, 03:27:29 am »
I ordered ED music for SAO 2 & Alnoah Zero. I can't wait for them

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/DFCL-2083 - Shipped

Is cdjapan a good place to get stuff? It's hard to fine certain bands online in any way and a cd on there doesn't look to bad, though the new Maximum the Hormone CD is looking rather pricey -_-...

davifus

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2014, 12:55:20 pm »
First time using it so I can't give a honest opinion.

maximo310

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2014, 03:49:46 pm »

Is cdjapan a good place to get stuff? It's hard to fine certain bands online in any way and a cd on there doesn't look to bad, though the new Maximum the Hormone CD is looking rather pricey -_-...
It seems to me that cdjapan has some good pricing for many items, but alot of it is for newer products that came out in the last several years or so. I personally use e-crater for my video game soundtracks since they have alot of older game soundtracks that are pretty hard to find anywhere as well as amiami for some stuff. If those two don't have good prices for what I'm looking for, then I just search the net and price compare between different websites for the same product.

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2014, 04:25:48 pm »

It seems to me that cdjapan has some good pricing for many items, but alot of it is for newer products that came out in the last several years or so. I personally use e-crater for my video game soundtracks since they have alot of older game soundtracks that are pretty hard to find anywhere as well as amiami for some stuff. If those two don't have good prices for what I'm looking for, then I just search the net and price compare between different websites for the same product.

I'm fine if it is for more newer stuff.  I've come across a few albums that I want recently that are newer.  I got lucky with Babymetal being on iTunes, but it doesn't seem like alot of the Japanese even gets a digital release here like Maximum the Hormone, I was kinda interested in getting the last Kiryu album after coming across them online, funnily enough through their goofy My Dragon spinoff lol, and I'm pretty sure I have something else I want to if I can just remember it, but I can't find this stuff anywhere lol
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 04:30:31 pm by kamikazekeeg »

maximo310

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2014, 05:23:36 pm »

I'm fine if it is for more newer stuff.  I've come across a few albums that I want recently that are newer.  I got lucky with Babymetal being on iTunes, but it doesn't seem like alot of the Japanese even gets a digital release here like Maximum the Hormone, I was kinda interested in getting the last Kiryu album after coming across them online, funnily enough through their goofy My Dragon spinoff lol, and I'm pretty sure I have something else I want to if I can just remember it, but I can't find this stuff anywhere lol
Yeah, iTunes and other u.s music services haven't really worked to bring many japanese releases over to their stores, and the best I've seen on iTunes for something I wanted was the Pokemon X&Y offical soundtrack but that's pretty much it. Those providers don't see much of a point in bringing these songs over here because they don't see a big enough market for that stuff. So its pretty much a journey to find this cool music for decent prices across the net, especially since when it comes to retail, I've only encountered one chain called Book-Off that sells a lot of japanese soundtracks, although their prices tend to be too high for some of their products. So you're probably going to have to just stick to those sites for those kind of albums.

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2014, 06:22:27 pm »
Oh well, the joy of importing lol

While not anime related, anyone have any good Japanese documentaries? Nothing specific really, though I would say less about old history and maybe more about Tokyo, or city life, or just something kinda interesting.  Maybe something music related or just the culture in general.  I watched a small documentary not long ago about an old Japanese man who makes wood furniture entirely by hand and the craftsmanship was pretty impressive.  I so wanted one of his works lol

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2014, 06:50:29 pm »
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd share my experience at Nan Desu Kan (NDK). For those of you who don't know, NDK is one of two anime conventions that are here in the Denver area, NDK being the bigger and more popular of the two. I've been a pretty regular attendee since 2009, and this year was among the less than stellar years I've gone for a variety of reasons. So here is my general experience.

Pros: Without fail, the highlight of NDK is the dealer's room and an area called Artist Ally where independent artists sell their work. I bought some pretty cool stuff from both areas at the Convention this year, including a Fire Emblem Awakening Art Book, some Final Fantasy X capsule toys, two Case Closed statues, some really sweet pixel art of Squall (FFVIII) and Terra (FFVI), and about 5 really sweet custom video game poster prints that were created by independent artists selling their work. The artists in Artist's Ally were all very nice and it was interesting talking to them, specifically one that my GF has been a huge fan of online for a while and we finally got to meet her in person. She was very nice and gave us some free stuff. Another pro at NDK this year, that doesn't really have to do with the con itself is that it is only 10-minutes from where I live so it was easy to get there and get home each day I went. I am also happy that I was able to attend all three days of NDK this year since the past couple years I've been there have been a variety of factors that prevented me from attending as much as I would have liked, but this year no such issues prevented me from enjoying it to the fullest.

Cons: Sadly, NDK has many cons, mostly stuff that I go into every year knowing. These annual annoyances include the venue being way to small to accommodate its popularity, very rude staff, and about 75% of the attendees are some of the most obnoxious people you will ever meet. With that out of the way, here are a few cons that were unique this year. There was an overall lack of interesting panels this year. Of probably the 40 or so panels scheduled, there were about 4 that I was interested in, and sadly the 2 of those I made it to were pretty bad. One was a general discussing panel on video games, and the two mods were fairly uninteresting and lacked my confidence on their authority and qualifications to host such a panel. The other panel, actually more of a contest I went to, was the Anime Music Video contest, which was fairly lackluster this year. My final compliant about this year was the poor showing of playable video games in the game room. I can appreciate some FPS games, but there was an overrepresentation of COD and Halo this year, and a fairly homogeneous mix of fighting games. Mario Kart 8 was set up, but considering you had to play with a Wiimote I chose to pass on playing it.

Overall: If I had to give this Con a grade I'd probably give it a C-. It definitely excelled in its usual spots, while faltered in the usual ways it typically does as well. Sadly most of the things that could have distinguished it from past NDK conventions as being one of the better years were not there, and what was there failed to deliver as I hoped it would. Despite this, I still had fun and I will be attending next year. I just hope that NDK really steps up their game with the panels, and maybe addressing some of the long standing problems that have plagued this specify convention for years.