Author Topic: True Exclusives -- Games that only appeared on one platform, EVER.  (Read 8057 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: True Exclusives -- Games that only appeared on one platform, EVER.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 02:17:25 pm »
I'm looking for something far, far more limited.  A lot of X360 "exclusives" are on PC or Xbox, or Xbox One.  Microsoft is especially notorious for talking up an "exclusive" that ends up somewhere else.   A lot of PS3 "exclusives" are also on Vita, PS4, and even PC as people disregard PC. 

This is the deeper level of an exclusive.  Older, in a sense.  A game that appeared once and the odds of it ever appearing again are astronomically low, if not impossible.

I'm aware what "exclusive" means, but the other threads do make mention that the list of "exclusive" games is dynamic.  What was once exclusive to a system could be ported at anytime to PC or PSN or any number of other methods of digital distribution.

day-um!

step away from sister Deso!  :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 04:10:07 pm »
I'm looking for something far, far more limited.  A lot of X360 "exclusives" are on PC or Xbox, or Xbox One.  Microsoft is especially notorious for talking up an "exclusive" that ends up somewhere else.   A lot of PS3 "exclusives" are also on Vita, PS4, and even PC as people disregard PC. 

This is the deeper level of an exclusive.  Older, in a sense.  A game that appeared once and the odds of it ever appearing again are astronomically low, if not impossible.

I'm aware what "exclusive" means, but the other threads do make mention that the list of "exclusive" games is dynamic.  What was once exclusive to a system could be ported at anytime to PC or PSN or any number of other methods of digital distribution.

day-um!

Ha, a low post-count does not mean I'm new to the internet or game collecting, or you know, life or something.  Just to this site, which, sadly, I only just discovered.  I don't need some silly loosey-goosey description of the possible use the word "exclusive" the way Microsoft throws it around (hint: if a game appears on the Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Windows, Microsoft will use the word "exclusive").

I saw those other threads.  They do not meet the criteria I'm looking for.  Or I would not have started this one.

desocietas

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 08:57:45 pm »

day-um!

lol brother D  8)

Evilnick, I wasn't trying to undermine your thread - just wanted you to know, especially since there are so many similar threads floating around.  But I hear what you're saying.  It's tough criteria; I don't collect for older systems so as much as I'd also like to get together a list of exclusive games, I can't rely on the titles *staying* exclusive  :-\
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 10:28:54 am »

day-um!

Ha, a low post-count does not mean I'm new to the internet or game collecting, or you know, life or something.  Just to this site, which, sadly, I only just discovered.  I don't need some silly loosey-goosey description of the possible use the word "exclusive" the way Microsoft throws it around (hint: if a game appears on the Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Windows, Microsoft will use the word "exclusive").

I saw those other threads.  They do not meet the criteria I'm looking for.  Or I would not have started this one.

what, What, WHat, WHAT?

seriously now...wtf?!

Where did the whole "I'm no stranger to da interwebz" response/comeback/Paranoia 'thing' come from?!  :o

Certainly *Not* from anywhere in that post of mine that you quoted.

I wasn't talking to/about you...or even *thinking* about you when I typed it ==>

==> It was pretty clearly & obviously simply me teasing another long-time friend, member, and regular here...

...This isn't the sort of place and/or community where you need to go reading into/inventing things like that --and-- if you simply can not resist doing such things...next time, don't be using one of my posts as your 'springboard' to do so  ;)

foxhack

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 12:16:18 pm »
Yep. The users of this site are pretty good at not giving a damn about e-peen or post count, and nobody here is going to make snide comments about your collection or your posts. If anyone does it'll be as a joke - I get cracks for collecting bad games and we used to tease one of our semi-founding forum members for his choice of PC games and for originating one of our in-jokes (he doesn't post here as often but he was cool with that.)

So chill out, nobody's trying to offend people here.

And no, this isn't me talking like a moderator. This is a site vet trying to defuse a situation.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2014, 01:33:05 pm »
Yep. The users of this site are pretty good at not giving a damn about e-peen or post count, and nobody here is going to make snide comments about your collection or your posts. If anyone does it'll be as a joke - I get cracks for collecting bad games and we used to tease one of our semi-founding forum members for his choice of PC games and for originating one of our in-jokes (he doesn't post here as often but he was cool with that.)

And no, this isn't me talking like a moderator. This is a site vet trying to defuse a situation.

"Defuse"?   :o

Heh, I guess that I'm being slow on the uptake *Again*  :-[

I completely missed the part where it went beyond discussion and..."fused:P

And, ya - this is definitely Foxey's 'human' voice...his 'Mod' voice is very distinctive & impossible to miss  ;)

foxhack

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2014, 01:47:29 pm »

You're not. I just don't want anything to go any further than 'a new forum poster is bothered by a misunderstanding'. Better to explain what's up now than much later on.

We're all friends here. Mostly. :p

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2014, 02:10:23 pm »

You're not. I just don't want anything to go any further than 'a new forum poster is bothered by a misunderstanding'. Better to explain what's up now than much later on.

We're all friends here. Mostly *usually*. :p

fix'd   ;)

how come your post has ":p" instead of showing the emoticon for it?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:12:58 pm by disgaeniac »

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 01:23:59 pm »

I largely viewed it as a misunderstanding.  Like I said, I'm looking for stuff that makes the word "exclusive" actually mean something, the opposite of the way Microsoft uses it, which generally translates to "exclusive, er, so long as you don't count these other platforms, because we don't."

Actually, thus far, I've been pretty impressed by this site.  People write in sentences, everyone seems eager and interested in collecting, and it's got to be about the only gaming site I've seen without fanboyism choking every thread.  Why, it's almost like people came here to talk about exactly what the site says!  Collecting video games! 

If it seems that I went on a defensive, I apologize for that, as it was not my intention--but again, this isn't the first forum I've used, and in some places, that e-peen crap does exist. 

This sparked an interest in me after reading about Uniracers on Wikipedia one day, and realizing that, for all intents and purposes, this was a unique game that will very likely never be readily available ever again, not even on future Nintendo hardware.  A lot of older "exclusives" have moved on to other platforms over the years.  For instance, formerly "exclusive" Alan Wake is on PC, formerly "exclusive" House of the Dead: OverKill appeared on PS3, and at this point, the original Super Mario Bros is hardly even a selling point since it's been on almost every piece of Nintendo hardware sans the N64 (I think it was technically playable on the GameCube). 

Er, outside of emulators, of course.  I don't count those.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 02:49:53 pm »
The original Super Mario Bros is hardly even a selling point since it's been on almost every piece of Nintendo hardware sans the N64 (I think it was technically playable on the GameCube). 

I think you're right.  I'm a little disappointed that Nintendo didn't do some sort of cash grab on the N64.  Mario All Stars needs a new iteration every generation.  :P

Edit: One more I forgot.  The OG Gameboy didn't have SMB 1 on it.  Other than that (with the help of the Game Boy Player) you can play Super Mario Bros. on every other piece of Nintendo hardware.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:51:47 pm by turf »

foxhack

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 02:54:29 pm »
Edit: One more I forgot.  The OG Gameboy didn't have SMB 1 on it.  Other than that (with the help of the Game Boy Player) you can play Super Mario Bros. on every other piece of Nintendo hardware.

... it almost did!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 03:23:45 pm »

... it almost did!

That's why I said OG Gameboy.  They rubbed right up against it.

tpugmire

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 04:16:29 pm »
What about the Virtual Boy?

Actually, now that I think about it, isn't the whole Virtual Boy library exclusive?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 05:01:58 pm »
What about the Virtual Boy?

Actually, now that I think about it, isn't the whole Virtual Boy library exclusive?

That's tough to say.  I wonder how similar the Waterworld game is to it's contemporaries at the time.  But awkward consoles like the Virtual Boy and Vectrex and Microvision probably count well with completely exclusive libraries. 

The difference with the Virtual Boy is that very few of those titles, to my knowledge, have to stay that way.  Nintendo could handily bring back most of the library on the 3DS, and that they haven't always gets on my nerves.  They've got a good 20 or more titles (depending on rights issues) that could be added to the 3DS.  Maybe have Sega do the work.  They seem pretty capable of 3D ports these days.

foxhack

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 05:47:42 pm »
They would have to reprogram all games to not use that hideous red and black color scheme. It strains the eyes and just plain hurts to look at.