Author Topic: Assassin's Creed, where to start?  (Read 2715 times)

Assassin's Creed, where to start?
« on: November 09, 2014, 03:51:16 pm »
I was thinking about playing some Assassin's Creed to get me prepared for unity, but I'm not sure where I should start to get the most out of the experience. I already own most of the games in the series and am willing to buy what ever I don't have. So the question is do I start right from the beginning? is there anything I should skip? Let me know what you guys think.

maximo310

Re: Assassin's Creed, where to start?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 03:57:12 pm »
I'd reccomend starting with Assassin's Creed II, since it has gameplay similar to the rest of the series. The original Creed is too slow for my tastes.

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 05:40:12 pm »
I'd agree to start with 2 and then skip to 4.  I really didn't like 3 and the 1st one is alright but doesn't really play like rest of the series.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 06:39:22 pm »
To get the whole story you have to start with the first one.  If you want to play the best games, start with AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations.  AC3 was meh, but the setting was awesome.  AC4 is the pirate one.  I had a blast with it too. 

Assassin's Creed - Slow and repetitive, but cool setting and story.   

Assassin's Creed II - Start of the Ezio Trilogy.  Very awesome

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - My favorite

Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Tied up all the Revelations loose ends

Assassin's Creed 3 - My favorite setting, but a pretty weak game.  IMO

Assassin's Creed 4 - Freaking Pirates! Loosely tied to the other games.  You can start here and not miss a whole lot.

If I was you I'd check out the original on YouTube and start with 2. 

I'm long winded.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 08:08:30 pm »
thanks for the info guys! i did play 1 a little bit when it first came out and got bored with it rather quickly. I think ill just watch some videos and skip to 2.

abe

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 09:28:05 pm »
I'm going to have to agree with everyone else and say that the original Assassin's Creed really isn't worth the time. I'm not sure about the rest though, since I've only played the first in the series.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 10:20:41 pm »
Even though it's technically the completion of the storyline they started I believe, I would skip Assassin's Creed 3.  The setting is kinda cool because it's not a very common one we've seen in games, but I thought the game was generally garbage.  The story is awful, most of the characters aren't good, especially the lead.  I got bored with the first game and never played the others up till AC3, but I hated that story and the exploration in it can get incredibly dull.

AC4 on the other hand, though I need to go back to it and actually finish it, it is just so much better.  Much less of the dumb modern stuff, really awesome pirate setting and exploration, the ships are awesome, that's the only one I can recommend.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 09:46:45 am »
AC4 on the other hand, though I need to go back to it and actually finish it, it is just so much better.  Much less of the dumb modern stuff, really awesome pirate setting and exploration, the ships are awesome, that's the only one I can recommend.

And you can kill a Great White Shark with a spear!

psydswipe

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 01:21:41 pm »
Ubisoft recently released The Americas Collection for 360 and PS3 which has III, IV, and Liberation HD in it. Liberation is a download code on the 360 but comes on the disc for PS3. I can't always follow the story completely in these games and I didn't read/listen to everything in the Abstergo office in the pirates game but I still have fun playing all of them. I ran through Liberation recently on 360 and although I liked most of the story (not really important to the rest of the series), the game is buggy and graphically not up to par compared to the others. It has a unique element that I think is interesting as the protagonist's skills and notoriety change based on what she wears. There is the assassin outfit, a slave outfit, and the lady outfit. Assassin always attracts the attention of guards while the slave can go unnoticed but doesn't carry all of the weapons. When you dress as the lady you can't climb which is sometimes annoying; it's good for infiltration missions. The game is largely set in New Orleans and a bayou, with a small number of missions in a tiny area of Mexico, and one brief mission in New York with Connor. I mostly stuck to the primary missions and didn't do every little side quest, and I think I finished it in around 8-10 hours so not as lengthy as the others either.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:23:14 pm by psydswipe »

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 06:31:38 pm »

And you can kill a Great White Shark with a spear!

I know! I love the hunting section.  I'm behind in that game though as I haven't even gotten to the diving in it.  I spend a lot of time trying to do everything in a town that I can and then I do a lot of exploration, so I haven't progress far enough I guess to do it, but I want to cause the game is fun.

argyle

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 12:16:19 pm »
Definitely skip 1, and I would skip AC2: Revelations too. The overarching futuristic story is complete garbage btw, so I see no reason to watch anything to try to catch up on it. I ignored it as much as possible and I'd say that probably enhanced my enjoyment. :P The main story missions in AC3 are pretty bad, but the extra stuff you can do out in the wilderness is a lot of fun.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

scott

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 04:23:39 pm »
Huh. I really liked AC1... Even after I played AC2 and Brotherhood, I still went back and played 1 a bunch of times.

I would say, if you're going to play for the story start with one and work up from there. Sure it's repetitive, but if you've never played an AC game before you won't care that it doesn't feel like the rest of the series, gameplay wise.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 09:18:15 pm »
Something to add to ACR.... I hated the tower defense in that game. Glad they took it out.

AC3 was meh, and prob my least fav of the series.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

scott

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 10:50:16 am »
The tower defense is one of the main reasons that I never finished it.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 11:14:19 am »
The tower defense is one of the main reasons that I never finished it.

I remember when it first came up... I was like ugh.... ok, lets get this over with, its only one time...... then I was sadly mistaken thinking you only had to play it once.... Every time the missions for tower defense came up, I was annoyed.... it took away from the flow of the game, and I just wanted to jump down and kill everyone.... it would have been quicker.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730