Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514232 times)

foxhack

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1455 on: July 27, 2014, 11:40:55 pm »
Got bored of getting my ass kicked in Double Dragon Neon, so I uttered the magic words...

"Deus Ex".

And it magically installed on my machine. Just got past the tutorial. The controls are clunky but I'm having fun. :p

argyle

« Reply #1456 on: July 28, 2014, 10:45:22 am »
Finished the fourth wish in Guided Fate Paradox.  Still chipping away at Arkham Origins.  And I started Chrono Trigger on the DS - maybe I'll finish it this time.  :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1457 on: July 28, 2014, 01:16:57 pm »
Finished the fourth wish in Guided Fate Paradox.  Still chipping away at Arkham Origins.  And I started Chrono Trigger on the DS - maybe I'll finish it this time.  :P

I've been playing Chrono Trigger again, too. I'm trying to make Magus a part of my party this time, last time I played through it I killed him, not knowing I was supposed to forgive him.

abe

« Reply #1458 on: July 28, 2014, 01:34:28 pm »

I don't know what it is about Chrono Trigger, but I just never seem to be able to finish it. I play for a while, don't really get hooked, put it down, then try to play it again later after I've forgotten what I was in the middle of.

How are you enjoying GFP?
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

soera

« Reply #1459 on: July 28, 2014, 01:41:58 pm »
I don't know what it is about Chrono Trigger, but I just never seem to be able to finish it. I play for a while, don't really get hooked, put it down, then try to play it again later after I've forgotten what I was in the middle of.

I played through Chrono Trigger when it was released and just havent been able to find the time or the patience to go through it again although Id love to.

GFP is a neat game but the movement is hard for me to get used to.

I personally have been playing Minish cap (although its been a couple of days of 14-15 hour shifts at work and I havent played anything). I just got the second elemental and am about to move on.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1460 on: July 28, 2014, 01:53:12 pm »
I'm kind of at a stand still right now.  I can't find anything I really want to jump into with both feet. 

I tried to start up Bravely Default the other day, but I just couldn't make myself sit through the beginning.  I got the the part where I could first control the character and quit.  I guess that one's out for a while. 

I just can't figure out what to play next.  I guess I'll just finish Contra 20 more times.

scott

« Reply #1461 on: July 29, 2014, 09:05:57 am »
I just can't figure out what to play next.  I guess I'll just finish Contra 20 more times.

I've done that with Castlevania. Can't figure out what to play... load up a Castlevania game.

Right now I'm playing Beyond Good and Evil on PS2. I've never really played it, and only saw my buddy Jeremy play it in person. I'm loving it so far and can't get enough of the camera stuff. I played it for prolly 4 hours last night and am in the Factory currently.

I'm trying to play it without looking up anything. Which means I'm stuck right now, but I'll figure it out.

Other than that, I'm still chugging along in Etrian Odyssey IV. Man that game is wonderful.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #1462 on: July 29, 2014, 11:13:17 pm »
I've been playing Rogue Legacy on the PS4, it's fun but damn is it hard!
Then my son and I have been playing through the Lego Movie on the PS4 also.

soera

« Reply #1463 on: July 30, 2014, 03:00:40 pm »
I'm trying to play it without looking up anything. Which means I'm stuck right now.

Thats what Im doing with Minish cap. I just added the elementals to my weapon and am trying to figure out how to get to a few points in Hyrule castle (although it could just be something I simply can not access yet).

foxhack

« Reply #1464 on: July 30, 2014, 03:17:15 pm »
Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate.

I'm trying this game with a pad since the keyboard and mouse controls felt off. And this game is sloooooooooooooooooooooooow. :|

argyle

« Reply #1465 on: July 30, 2014, 04:05:18 pm »

Sorry, missed this.  :-[

I really like the gameplay of GFP, a lot.  It's hardcore Rogue-like gameplay, pretty unforgiving but at the same time not unfair.  The level up system(s) are fairly complex, similar to what I remember of Disgaea.  You have lots of opportunities to grind, and they expect you to take them.  But that's all good, since the game is so fun.

But I hate, *HATE*, the plot & characters. The wish "stories" have ranged from inane to painfully stupid. The best one so far is the first one, and that's not saying much. The one with the zombies had me wanting to jump out the window. I have the English voices on because I generally prefer English these days and the main 2 characters' voice actors are good (the main guy is voiced by the guy who voiced Jude in Tales of Xillia). But the zombie voices are SO BAD. SO, SO VERY BAD! :o Luckily, they don't make you slog through the cutscenes when you replay a dungeon, so that's something.

The overarching story isn't really any better. I'm sure you know the ridiculous setup of how a guy wins a lottery and becomes god. And hey, I'm fine with ridiculous setups - the problem is they try to play it STRAIGHT! :o There's all this bickering and in-fighting and backstabbing going on between the "angels", and what little humor they do try to interject falls flat (one angel is extremely horny all the time, so that's...funny?  ???). 

So basically you play for the gameplay and not much else. Which with this type of game, luckily that's enough - you don't really need much of a story w/ a RL game. But it IS kinda sad when I can tell my wife "The story in Chocobo's Dungeon for the Wii is better than this" and be 100% serious. ;)
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

abe

« Reply #1466 on: July 30, 2014, 05:21:43 pm »

Sorry, missed this.  :-[

I really like the gameplay of GFP, a lot.  It's hardcore Rogue-like gameplay, pretty unforgiving but at the same time not unfair.  The level up system(s) are fairly complex, similar to what I remember of Disgaea.  You have lots of opportunities to grind, and they expect you to take them.  But that's all good, since the game is so fun.

But I hate, *HATE*, the plot & characters. The wish "stories" have ranged from inane to painfully stupid. The best one so far is the first one, and that's not saying much. The one with the zombies had me wanting to jump out the window. I have the English voices on because I generally prefer English these days and the main 2 characters' voice actors are good (the main guy is voiced by the guy who voiced Jude in Tales of Xillia). But the zombie voices are SO BAD. SO, SO VERY BAD! :o Luckily, they don't make you slog through the cutscenes when you replay a dungeon, so that's something.

The overarching story isn't really any better. I'm sure you know the ridiculous setup of how a guy wins a lottery and becomes god. And hey, I'm fine with ridiculous setups - the problem is they try to play it STRAIGHT! :o There's all this bickering and in-fighting and backstabbing going on between the "angels", and what little humor they do try to interject falls flat (one angel is extremely horny all the time, so that's...funny?  ???). 

So basically you play for the gameplay and not much else. Which with this type of game, luckily that's enough - you don't really need much of a story w/ a RL game. But it IS kinda sad when I can tell my wife "The story in Chocobo's Dungeon for the Wii is better than this" and be 100% serious. ;)

I decided to start it last night and I have to agree. I do like the core gameplay, and the story is taken a bit too seriously considering how ridiculous it is. I don't know how bad the English voices are though. I always switch the voices in games to Japanese unless I have no other choice. The music is decent too, and I really liked the game's opening theme. It didn't distract me from Disgaea D2 for very long though. :P

On another note, I started playing Sin & Punishment: Star Successor for the Wii. I'm really enjoying it so far. I like that it has dual audio, which is surprising for a game published by Nintendo. You have a lot of control options for the game. You can use a GameCube controller, Classic Controller, the Zapper peripheral, or just the Wiimote and a nunchuk. There's not much of a story, but I wasn't expecting one from an on-rails shooter anyways. There's lots of action, and the game gets challenging pretty quickly. There's also a multiplayer mode as well I believe. I'd definitely recommend the game to anyone looking for a new Wii game to play.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

90snostalga

« Reply #1467 on: July 30, 2014, 10:09:28 pm »
Right now, I'm going to rotate between Driver (PS1), Smash Bros. (N64), and Kirby's Dream Land (GB)...

90snostalga

« Reply #1468 on: July 31, 2014, 01:31:00 am »
Right now, I'm going to rotate between Driver (PS1), Smash Bros. (N64), and Kirby's Dream Land (GB)...

Turns out my copy of Driver is so scratched up that it will not load past the main title screen so Im going to rotate between Smash Bros. and San Andreas!  :D

argyle

« Reply #1469 on: July 31, 2014, 12:14:53 pm »
Definitely taking a night off from Arkham Origins tonight.  It's like a lesser version of Arkham City - basically the same gameplay but still somehow not nearly as good.  They've got the formula down of "fight room full of thugs / fight room full of thugs / fight room full of thugs / sneak around & kill room full of thugs / repeat". 

Also, I've learned that one of my pet peeves in gaming is being constantly judged in something I really don't care about.  Please, stop telling me how much I suck after every combat encounter.  That kind of stuff should be optional - if I *care* about my rating I can turn it on, otherwise I can turn it off & just, oh iunno, try to ENJOY THE GAME???  ???