Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514886 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #2475 on: March 28, 2016, 03:29:56 am »
The Division.

It's a good game but not much more than that. Honestly if it wasn't for the fact I can play it with three of my friends; I'd probably be playing something else.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2476 on: March 28, 2016, 08:24:44 am »
Just finished and platinumed Arc the Lad Twilight of the spirits and I'm moving on to Okage, and then, probably, Dragon Fantasy.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

« Reply #2477 on: March 28, 2016, 09:47:03 am »
Started playing Tales of Graces f (PS3) last night and I'm loving it! :D
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2478 on: March 28, 2016, 09:59:28 am »

Shhhh...don't tell kash - he Hates Tales games  :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #2479 on: March 28, 2016, 10:31:34 am »

I'm so damn jealous; you'll be experiencing the game for the first time. I'm anxious to see your impressions of it!

« Reply #2480 on: March 28, 2016, 10:32:51 am »
Pokken Tournament !

abe

« Reply #2481 on: March 29, 2016, 08:12:11 am »

I'm so damn jealous; you'll be experiencing the game for the first time. I'm anxious to see your impressions of it!

Pretty great so far. :)

I just finished the childhood chapter last night and now things are getting really interesting. I love the CC system. It's so much better than a traditional SP/PP system where you have to worry about your AI controlled party members using all of theirs before you reach the area's boss. That was one of the few things I didn't really like in older Tales games, though the strategy commands did do a pretty good job of helping manage that and you could always have a friend or two play with you and control a party member. CC is so much more satisfying. You can give it your all in every battle, which is waaaay more fun than having to run away from encounters because you want enough energy to fight the boss with. It makes level grinding much more pleasant too, because every encounter is a lot of fun. The A-artes and B-artes are cool too.

Dualizing isn't really anything new to me. Pretty much every RPG these days seems to have some kind of crafting system, but it's handled well here. Tempering your equipment by using it is pretty cool, I like that.

The way titles work with a leveling system in Graces f is pretty cool too, I like that a lot. Having all those empty spaces in the titles menu really makes me want to collect them all, instead of just mostly ignoring them like I usually do.

I don't even mind that English audio is the only option. They seem to have done a pretty good job with the voicing. The only character's voice I'm not really fond of is, unfortunately, 18 year old Asbel's voice. For some reason all I can think of is that he almost kinda sounds like Jonah Hill if he was sad all the time.

Last, but not least, the game looks awesome. It's hard to believe that this is a remake from 2010 (in Japan) of a Wii game that came out in 2009. Also, the game's opening song is amazing. <3 I've listened to it every time I've started the game up so far. I can't get enough of it.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

kashell

« Reply #2482 on: March 29, 2016, 08:27:45 am »
Asbel's voice actor isn't my favorite either. I always thought he sounded too whiny. The rest of the cast makes up for it.

The CC system is one of my favorites, too. If you start playing on higher difficulties, the battles will feel even more rewarding because there's more to take into account.

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. One of my biggest problems with it was figuring out who I enjoyed using the most as my main. I usually defaulted to Cheria, but all of the characters have a fun play style.

EDIT: I started the DLC for Muramasa, beginning with Fishy Tales. It's really challenging.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:35:01 pm by kashell »

kashell

« Reply #2483 on: March 30, 2016, 08:46:21 am »
I started Nights of Azure last night. I'm nearing the end of chapter 1 and I'm still sure how I feel about it.

Obviously, the game is gorgeous and the music is worth a listen; no questions there.

For a musou/Dynasty Warriors type of game, it feels relatively sparse. There aren't armies of enemies coming at you; more like small troops. Also, your attacks don't feel as impactful as they normally would. The Servan system is neat, but I'm pretty sure it won't require much experimentation since all I've needed so far is the Alraune for healing.

At least the story is introducing, although it feels like it was thrown together haphazardly.

Like I said, I'm only on chapter 1 so...who knows what could happen.

« Reply #2484 on: March 31, 2016, 11:52:18 pm »
Not 100% sold on Hyper Light Drifter.  It's okay so far, but I'm not loving the combat, it's mostly responsive, but it feels like I've come across more than a few instances where it's just "We are just gonna throw a ton of crap at you that you really can't dodge well if you tried".  Turns scenarios more into a battle of attrition, or trial and error, and hope for the best.  The minimal art style borders on flat and kinda lacking, to visually very nice.  Kinda anything that's a cinematic moment looks great, or some of the environments are impressive.  Don't know if I like the no dialogue the game has.  There's tutorial stuff to help out generally, but actual ingame dialogue is done through pictures people show, which I guess isn't too bad since that's when the art is best.

I want to like it, because it's very Zelda-like, but it's got a few things I'm kinda "meh" about right now.  Could be another Undertale for me, where I think the start is kinda bland, with moments of interesting ideas, that then hits a specific point that draws me in.  We'll see.

« Reply #2485 on: April 05, 2016, 09:17:57 pm »
Grabbed Far Cry Primal on PS4 with a rental and put a few hours into it.  It's okay.  Just a stripped down Far Cry 4 with a smidge bit more of a survival element.  I normally don't do first person "shooters" on console anymore, but because this doesn't rely on any serious aiming control, it's worked out fairly well.  Not sure if I'll try to beat it or not.  Might just kinda rush through the main story cause I'm not really excited to do any in depth exploration with this at the moment.

telly

« Reply #2486 on: April 05, 2016, 10:45:58 pm »
Finally starting Dragon Quest VIII! It took me long enough, I don’t think I’m going to regret it :)

Also am starting up Phantom Hourglass! This is only my 3rd Zelda game ever, so I’m curious to see how it goes, especially since the DS games are a little controversial from what I’ve heard.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #2487 on: April 05, 2016, 11:44:31 pm »
Also am starting up Phantom Hourglass! This is only my 3rd Zelda game ever, so I’m curious to see how it goes, especially since the DS games are a little controversial from what I’ve heard.

Touch screen only controls from what I saw of Spirit Tracks and heard the same for Phantom Hourglass.  That might have killed the two DS games for me lol

telly

« Reply #2488 on: April 05, 2016, 11:53:56 pm »

Touch screen only controls from what I saw of Spirit Tracks and heard the same for Phantom Hourglass.  That might have killed the two DS games for me lol

Yeah it's definitely a little different. I'm not too far in yet, so I'm interested in seeing how it changes with the later dungeons and bosses.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #2489 on: April 07, 2016, 09:36:01 am »
I'm putting Nights of Azure on hold for now. I don't regret paying full price for it, but I'm going to wait until there are some more resources out there to help in getting some of the more annoying collectibles and trophies. That said...

I started Panzer Dragoon Saga. When I popped in the first of four discs, I was slightly worried that it wouldn't be worth the cost of admission. So far, it feels like money well spent. The story, music, graphics, voice acting, battles, writing and everything else in between is fantastic.