Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 515653 times)

doctorlaudanum

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3390 on: September 14, 2017, 01:39:09 am »
^Dead by Daylight can get repetitive quickly, but I thought it was a lot more playable than the Friday the 13th game. Lot less idiots screeching in your ear, too. I have a weakness for slasher movies and love the idea of a Friday the 13th game in concept, but it has a long way to go before I'll ever consider picking it up again.

Yakuza Kiwami continues to be damn good fun, though I really wish you weren't so prone to getting stunlocked. Or maybe I just suck at combat. One or the other. I am loving the Majima Everywhere system, which is surprising because it sounded like a one-note gimmick on paper. I continue to be surprised by the increasingly creative ways Majima worms his way into a fight. Be still my beating heart for fair Lady Goromi. Is it just me or does this game really like putting you in situations where you have to beat up a dude in a dress?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:41:23 am by doctorlaudanum »
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #3391 on: September 14, 2017, 02:57:23 am »
^Dead by Daylight can get repetitive quickly, but I thought it was a lot more playable than the Friday the 13th game. Lot less idiots screeching in your ear, too. I have a weakness for slasher movies and love the idea of a Friday the 13th game in concept, but it has a long way to go before I'll ever consider picking it up again.

Yeah that's basically what I saw between the two.  Dead by Daylight is a far better designed game, it's just less interesting and less entertaining than being in a Friday the 13th movie.  If Friday the 13th every becomes anything competent, I might grab it.

« Reply #3392 on: September 15, 2017, 09:27:37 am »
Started Quantum Break last night... and I'm just really not feeling it.  So far the main character feels like a moron and his best friend is OBVIOUSLY EVIL... and my brother is for sure going to die... feels like a terrible waste that they didn't have his twin brother play his brother... whatever.

Maybe I'll figure out the combat, but it just feels sluggish and not well thought out.

« Reply #3393 on: September 18, 2017, 05:04:28 pm »
Does it bother anyone else that in Horizon: Zero Dawn, everyone speaks in perfect, clean, English, despite it being a thousand years in the future, and that is also after whatever point that timeline starts in terms of our future? People speak differently in just our parents lifetime, let alone a society that was for some reason forced to abandon all technology and revert to a nearly primal/tribal lifestyle, disconnected from the world and even other people based on these tribes and new cultures.  It's gotten to the point that they seem to have their own new language being that they don't understand anything from their past text or image wise.

It might be on odd thing to complain about, but it's weirdly immersion breaking to me, especially during dialogue interactions.  They sound like any regular, concise speaking, even witty, people from today, but the person I'm interacting with is an ancient Roman/Middle Eastern dressed soldier who praises the sun, and I'm an outcast tribal warrior dressed in furs and robot parts. 

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3394 on: September 20, 2017, 11:28:13 am »
On my quest to complete one Suikoden game a year and after recovering from FF7 I have started Suikoden 3! It seems very interesting, I'm through two characters chapter 1s and it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm still not sure whether I really like the feel of this one yet with the changes from the first two games but I can see what they were going for. I think if I was playing these games back in the day I would be more upset not knowing that Suikoden 5 is out there and is a more faithful sequel to 1 and 2.

telly

« Reply #3395 on: September 20, 2017, 11:30:25 am »
On my quest to complete one Suikoden game a year and after recovering from FF7 I have started Suikoden 3! It seems very interesting, I'm through two characters chapter 1s and it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm still not sure whether I really like the feel of this one yet with the changes from the first two games but I can see what they were going for. I think if I was playing these games back in the day I would be more upset not knowing that Suikoden 5 is out there and is a more faithful sequel to 1 and 2.

I want to play them, but I can never get over the 3D models, they just don't look that good to me for some reason  :-\
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #3396 on: September 20, 2017, 11:49:23 am »
They improve as the series continues. I still think III is an ugly game. It had some nice environments, though.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3397 on: September 20, 2017, 12:03:55 pm »
Yeah it being an early PS2 game isn't doing it any favors but having just played FF7 it is a major step up from what I had been dealing with. At least I can recognize a lot of what is happening on the screen haha.

« Reply #3398 on: September 22, 2017, 07:06:21 am »
right now I am playing Resident Evil 2

« Reply #3399 on: September 23, 2017, 04:58:24 am »
I'm into the last quarter of Evil Within right now.  I remember this game getting a lot of shit back when it came out and heard a lot of people say it was bad and I'm not entirely sure why.  I know it had some annoyances that were patched up later (The absurd letterboxing), but I went in expecting the worst and got a solid survival horror game.  It's not amazing, it's generally not as good as RE4 even if it does things better in a few areas, and I have issues with aspects of its gameplay and how the story drags, but it's totally competent and has had some good moments.  Low 7 level here.

I'm still like 3 or 4 chapters from the end, but it's got me interested in the sequel if that actually fixes the issues I'm having here. 

Also Sebastian is like the worst lead.  He's not a silent protagonist, but it feels like that sometimes.  He's either completely lost at what is going on during the story moments, or he'll have like a very minor quip, or basic "What is going on here" kind of thing.  He should be basically losing his mind about now as a character here, like Isaac in Dead Space, or trying to better piece everything together as we go through the game, but he's the same guy that started this whole screwed up journey.  Went in as a grizzled cop and I'm guessing he'll make it out as a grizzled cop.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:06:19 am by kamikazekeeg »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3400 on: September 23, 2017, 10:31:44 am »
right now I am playing Resident Evil 2

One of the greatest video games ever made.

kashell

« Reply #3401 on: September 24, 2017, 12:28:38 pm »
After the let down that was Ys VIII, I decided to start Dungeon Travelers 2. My Vita is fun again. The fan service in this game is hilarious, as is the writing. Atlus really knocked the script out of the park with this. Combat, as expected, is challenging and not to be taken lightly the moment things begin.

I'm very pleased so far.

« Reply #3402 on: September 24, 2017, 12:38:06 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:25:07 pm by jce3000gt »

kevininja

« Reply #3403 on: September 24, 2017, 03:27:52 pm »
Bought my sister's copy of Mario Kart 7, so I'm playing through it now. Definitely one of the weaker games in the series because of the bland levels and a lacking character roster, but I still enjoy playing it. It does remind me to get a copy of Mario Kart DS sometime in the future  :P

Got Downwell a few days ago as well and that game is a hell of a lot of fun! I keep telling myself "one more round and I'll stop playing" :D. The furthest I've managed to get to so far was 2-2.

I'm also still playing through Skyrim SE, currently on the last of the Thieves Guild quests.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:35:51 pm by kevininja »

kashell

« Reply #3404 on: September 24, 2017, 03:35:11 pm »
I'm almost done with filling out the bestiary in FFXII: The Zodiac Age for the PS4.  I'm now in my lower-mid 80's on party average level and have almost 1.3 million steps.  Trial Mode is both awesome and a bitch once you get to level 92.  I just cannot seem to beat level 96 no matter how hard I try.  This Esper was super easy in the actual game but in Trial Mode its like they were buffed up or something.  Guess I'll try again when I'm over level 90.  It also doesn't help that I made some stupid choices for my jobs...which has significantly increased the difficulty.  FYI, the Machinist is pretty useless unless paired with a strong melee job.  Made the mistake of Machinist+Time Battlemage and am regretting that choice.  Also, I have no White or Black mage so that also hurts...  I wish you could reset and respect to start over for which the penalty is a completely erased license board with 0 LP to spend.  I really need a black and white mage...  LOL

After the let down that was Ys VIII, I decided to start Dungeon Travelers 2. My Vita is fun again. The fan service in this game is hilarious, as is the writing. Atlus really knocked the script out of the park with this. Combat, as expected, is challenging and not to be taken lightly the moment things begin.

I'm very pleased so far.

My buddy was initially let down by Ys VIII but he gave it another chance and is now really liking it.  I think maybe those that are feeling let down went in with too high of expectations?

My expectations weren't even that high. I was excited about it since I really like the series, but the way they crafted this entry feels so far removed from what usually makes Ys so special.