Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514820 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3600 on: December 29, 2017, 03:46:32 pm »
Speaking of addictive shooter-em-ups. I've been playing Solar Eclipse for the Saturn. That game is a hidden gem and no one ever mentions it. It's sort of a Star Fox deal, but predates Star Fox 64. Voice acting is a lot better, graphics are good, controls are tight, good music. I've played through it almost twice, because my battery was dead in the Saturn. Can't beat the last level, it's freaking insane. But, really fun.
Battery fix is cheap and easy fix.  Literally buy a watch battery, pop open the back panel (no screws or anything, because there is the little easy access hatch) and replace the battery.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3601 on: December 29, 2017, 03:49:43 pm »
If you can afford it, it's totally worth getting a back-up cart for the Saturn. Those batteries have a finite lifetime and once they die, there goes all your saves with it. And they hold so freaking little to begin with, anyways.

« Reply #3602 on: December 29, 2017, 09:39:18 pm »
Finally picked up Evil Within 2 on PC.  Had wanted to get it when it came out, but October was a busy month, so this fell by the wayside.  I had heard good things and a couple hours in, I'm liking it.  Big change from the first game that I played early this year.  That game was a rough time, full of bad ideas, and a confusing bad story, with a bad lead, and uninteresting characters, but already things are better with Sebastian being an actual character.  All the gameplay seems smoothed out, everything is way snappier, and there's a bit of an open world you get to explore which I love.  Hopefully the game pans out as I'd like to say it was a nice year for survival horror alongside Resident Evil 7.

*EDIT*
I retract a smidge bit of praise, as they still have enemies with insta-kills.  No opportunity for counter, not even a boss/mini-boss, it's literally the second enemy type you fight in the game.  Thankfully the games checkpoints and ability to save is lenient, but I just find stuff like that obnoxious.  It was obnoxious in the first game and I had hoped they wouldn't be included or at least fixed.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:19:57 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #3603 on: December 30, 2017, 01:37:23 am »
Currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2, about halfway thru Ch 3
also working my way through South Park: The Fractured But Whole (ps4)
trying to persevere thru one of the last bosses on mastermind difficulty

« Reply #3604 on: January 04, 2018, 12:41:08 am »
Currently Playing Forza 6/Pokemon GO when I'm not doing a let's play for NHL Hitz 2003 or Pokemon Emerald

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3605 on: January 05, 2018, 11:30:15 am »
My journey with the first Final Fantasy game has been a perilous one...
My experience with the original NES game was not good. Even though I came to love the RPG genre and have completed many of them, I was somehow never able to get anywhere in the first game. All of my memories involve spending HOURS walking around Elfheim trying to level up enough to get through the Earth Cave. I didn’t find it fun, it was frustrating and tedious.

Years later, I bought FF I+II Dawn of Souls for GBA, but I gave up on that too.

But a couple weeks ago, on a whim I threw Dawn of Souls into my DS...and within a few days I easily got farther than I ever had before. I’m currently in the Castle of Ordeals to get the Rat’s Tail and receive my class upgrade, which I am very excited about because I never accomplished it in the original :D
Yeah, I know it’s a little easier and more forgiving than the original, but it’s just so much more tolerable. Those f***ing “ineffective” hits can bite me.

soera

« Reply #3606 on: January 05, 2018, 12:33:57 pm »
I remember the NES version of FF. It was indeed very frustrating. Magic points instead of a mana pool, the not switching targets automatically when something dies, etc. Its almost unplayable now once you've played a real version of the game.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3607 on: January 05, 2018, 01:30:13 pm »
I remember the NES version of FF. It was indeed very frustrating. Magic points instead of a mana pool, the not switching targets automatically when something dies, etc. Its almost unplayable now once you've played a real version of the game.
Exactly. In addition to ineffective hits, the magic system is something I found very hard to deal with. And of course, back then no one knew about the bugs: some spells don’t work, weapon effects don’t work, the Thief’s speed never increases...
This GBA remake is just way more fun. Hey look, the Temper spell actually works!

Even from the beginning, though, I’ve never been a big fan of the Thief or Black Belt classes. I know FF experts say the Thief can become a Ninja, or the BB can become an offensive powerhouse, but they just don’t fit my play style. My current party consists of 2 Fighters, a White Mage and a Black Mage, and they’ve worked out fine so far.

« Reply #3608 on: January 09, 2018, 04:30:16 am »
Currently playing Mass Effect: Andromeda

shfan

« Reply #3609 on: January 09, 2018, 02:10:38 pm »
I've been playing Ys 8: Lacrimosa of Dana on the PS4 for a few days, it really grabbed my attention.

It's quite old-skool for a fully-3D game but with modern standard graphics - it's a proper action RPG O-M-G! It's all there - NPCs and dialogue, exploration, a big ol' world to run around in, hidden goodies, several (mostly shallow, but still there) sub-systems (giving certain characters one each of a certain type of item for rewards), different environments, loads of bosses, loads of enemy types, overpowered enemies (and even bosses) wandering around certain parts of the world in case you want to have a go.

It's like playing something from the PS1 era but on a modern machine, the closest I've got to this recently is with the Souls series, but with them exploration is tempered by the possibility of an unseen enemy ripping one's head off and shoving it up one's bum, so it's difficult to drink in the scenery.

It's been a heartwarming experience, yet another reason the PS4 is a wonder-machine for me.

kevininja

« Reply #3610 on: January 09, 2018, 02:25:32 pm »
The original Borderlands.

Started it two days ago and I've been hooked since, really damn fun game!

soera

« Reply #3611 on: January 09, 2018, 02:51:21 pm »
I've been playing Ys 8: Lacrimosa of Dana on the PS4 for a few days, it really grabbed my attention.

It's quite old-skool for a fully-3D game but with modern standard graphics - it's a proper action RPG O-M-G! It's all there - NPCs and dialogue, exploration, a big ol' world to run around in, hidden goodies, several (mostly shallow, but still there) sub-systems (giving certain characters one each of a certain type of item for rewards), different environments, loads of bosses, loads of enemy types, overpowered enemies (and even bosses) wandering around certain parts of the world in case you want to have a go.

It's like playing something from the PS1 era but on a modern machine, the closest I've got to this recently is with the Souls series, but with them exploration is tempered by the possibility of an unseen enemy ripping one's head off and shoving it up one's bum, so it's difficult to drink in the scenery.

It's been a heartwarming experience, yet another reason the PS4 is a wonder-machine for me.

Its absolutely the best game Ive ever experienced. I adored every moment of the game!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3612 on: January 09, 2018, 02:54:25 pm »
The original Borderlands.

Started it two days ago and I've been hooked since, really damn fun game!

Such a good game!  I'm ready for #3 to come out!

shfan

« Reply #3613 on: January 10, 2018, 10:12:36 pm »
Its absolutely the best game Ive ever experienced. I adored every moment of the game!

I've been waiting for that moment when certain games suddenly go downhill - they drag on too much, end too quickly, new ideas stop being implemented, the meta-content dries up before the main campaign is close to being done etc. Not reached it yet, 20+ hours in, it just keeps on going and keeps on delighting. I was excited for the remake of Secret of Mana before, but playing this makes me pray for a remake of Secret of Evermore and others in addition to a renewed interest in Japanese ARPGs.

telly

« Reply #3614 on: January 15, 2018, 10:28:53 am »
I'm about 36 hours in Xenoblade Chronicles X. Just started chapter 9, need to grind some more and get Skells for my party members. Also have been exploring the new continent. It's been fun so far, enjoying it a lot!
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery