Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514940 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3615 on: January 18, 2018, 08:55:54 pm »
It's all about them betas right now.

Dragon Ball FighterZ is an incredible game, though I seriously need a proper practice mode to figure out how everything works, because the tutorial is not enough and learning on the fly is incredibly tough.  This behaves far more differently than any other fighting game I've played, as only in recent years I've played Street Fighter 5 and Injustice 2 and this is a whole new beast for me.  Tag mechanics in particular are hard for me to remember to combo in.  This is really shaping up to be one of the best Dragon Ball games made though.  Seemingly original story, visuals are perfectly representing the anime/manga, great music, and exciting gameplay. Multiplayer aside as I try to learn the game, I'm excited for the singleplayer.

Also I played a bit of Metal Gear Survive beta.  Konami/Kojima related things put to the side, the game isn't bad.  It's still of course good gameplay, that was expected, the multiplayer though isn't amazing, but that's just because I'm not someone who loves being rushed along.  I only got one match with a squad of 3, couldn't get a fourth, and it's essentially a tower defense game mode, with you scavenging for crafting material and doing side missions between the waves that hit every few minutes.  I like the idea of building up a base and trying to fight off the zombie horde, but I might be more interested in the singleplayer mode than the multiplayer so I can explore and build more on my own time.  Much more of a wait and see, especially knowing it'll likely have lots of micro-transactions and it'll depend on how those are implemented.

And for more Beta action, I tried for over 2 hours to beat the Nergigante in Monster Hunter World lol It's so hard.  So hard.  I've only managed to weaken him with the bowgun, but I can't finish him off.  If I had 5 more minutes, I could maybe do it, but it's rough.  He has almost no downtime, which made attacking him with anything else damn near impossible for me. I did alright with the Glaive for abit, because I was able to get on his back a few times, but never seemed to do enough damage.  Also tried to get into a multiplayer match for it, but I was getting an error along with a full party message, so wasn't sure if something wasn't working or if there were just no available parties.  Gonna hopefully try to beat him before the beta is over.  I want me sweet reward in the main game!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:25:44 am by kamikazekeeg »

arkaneer

« Reply #3616 on: January 19, 2018, 05:46:07 am »
I want me sweet reward in the main game!

Didn't know there was a reward for playing the beta?

Going to try and play it this weekend...my first try at a Monster Hunter game so I am quite excited. Think it's going to be a steeeeeep learning curve  :)

« Reply #3617 on: January 19, 2018, 06:01:50 am »

Going to try and play it this weekend...my first try at a Monster Hunter game so I am quite excited. Think it's going to be a steeeeeep learning curve  :)

Yeah I believe you get a reward of some sort for every mission beat.  A quick read says you get some face paint for beating any one of them, and you get some consumable packs for beating each mission.  This was before they added Nergigante into the second run of the beta, who is hard as hell.  Hoping that beating him gets me something neat as I want something to show my dedication to beating this big dragon jerk lol

I'm also a scrub at the game, this being my first real one investing any time into it, so it's been quite the learning experience.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:05:41 am by kamikazekeeg »

arkaneer

« Reply #3618 on: January 19, 2018, 08:03:54 am »

Yeah I believe you get a reward of some sort for every mission beat.  A quick read says you get some face paint for beating any one of them, and you get some consumable packs for beating each mission.  This was before they added Nergigante into the second run of the beta, who is hard as hell.  Hoping that beating him gets me something neat as I want something to show my dedication to beating this big dragon jerk lol

I'm also a scrub at the game, this being my first real one investing any time into it, so it's been quite the learning experience.

Cool...I'll give it a go later fully expecting to have my arse handed back to me   :)

desocietas

« Reply #3619 on: January 19, 2018, 11:33:40 am »
I tried for a few hours with friends against Nergigante, and no luck for me :(. The other quests can be done pretty easily but this one hits so hard, lol. Anyway, we've had a lot of friends try this MH as their first MH (hard to convince people to try the series when they don't own 3DSes) and they've been pretty happy. This one has some really nice improvements over the older games and is gorgeous to boot. It's a free beta and multiplayer doesn't require PS+ right now! Make use of that training mode! There are so many weapons and they don't even fully explain how deep the weapon strats go, but it totally is fine for newbies.

I haven't had any issues connecting but I connect with friends through room codes. Haven't done hunts with randoms in this game yet.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:35:33 am by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

arkaneer

« Reply #3620 on: January 19, 2018, 11:57:38 am »
Make use of that training mode!

Good advice!! I just beat the beginner monster without using the training area but I had no idea what I was doing!! I then tried the training area and tried a few weapons and it started making sense...I really like the longsword and it seems beginner friendly.

Do I need to master more than one weapon? In Soulsborne games I like to find one weapon I like and then stick with it , but I don't want to gimp my progress.

« Reply #3621 on: January 19, 2018, 04:47:29 pm »
Make use of that training mode!

Good advice!! I just beat the beginner monster without using the training area but I had no idea what I was doing!! I then tried the training area and tried a few weapons and it started making sense...I really like the longsword and it seems beginner friendly.

Do I need to master more than one weapon? In Soulsborne games I like to find one weapon I like and then stick with it , but I don't want to gimp my progress.

I found that in the Soulsborne games I still had to have at least one side weapon weapon ready due to changing enemy types.  I usually play abit tanky, either shield/sword or big hefty blade, but there was always that one boss or enemy type that required me to switch to a quicker blade or allow for abit more mobility.  I'm not some hardcore player, but I sorta see that as happening here.  I think I'm gonna do something like the Sword Axe or Wyvern Blade, and then have my backup as the Fiery Blast Blowgun thing for when I need to attack air targets or keep distance.  Mostly because it's crazy to fight Nergigante up close.

« Reply #3622 on: January 19, 2018, 07:49:49 pm »
I've been jumping around from Darksiders Warmastered Edition on the ps4, to Burnout 3 Takedown on the ps2

arkaneer

« Reply #3623 on: January 20, 2018, 04:06:38 am »

I am not sure you get anything special for beating Nerg, just another bunch of consumables. I tried and can't imagine getting close to beating him yet, especially with the timer.

I have the face paint, so I think I may spend some time with the other weapons and then leave it until full release. Apparently there is a lot more tutorial elements explaining how it all works, so that's good.

Back to FFXIV for the rest of the week.

By the way...does anyone have any experience of how good Game (UK) are at getting new games delivered on day one of release? I have a lot of credit with them I need to use up, so was thinking of ordering MHW online.

« Reply #3624 on: January 20, 2018, 04:16:11 am »

I am not sure you get anything special for beating Nerg, just another bunch of consumables. I tried and can't imagine getting close to beating him yet, especially with the timer.

I have the face paint, so I think I may spend some time with the other weapons and then leave it until full release. Apparently there is a lot more tutorial elements explaining how it all works, so that's good.

Back to FFXIV for the rest of the week.

By the way...does anyone have any experience of how good Game (UK) are at getting new games delivered on day one of release? I have a lot of credit with them I need to use up, so was thinking of ordering MHW online.

Right now it's just an interesting challenge, so I'm gonna keep trying this weekend as it's good practice for MHW to get use to the weapons lol With range weapons, I have to get use to not reloading all the time, or else I'm gonna get caught up in attacks too often, being that it slows you down.

« Reply #3625 on: January 20, 2018, 07:34:50 pm »
And wow, I thought Nergigante would be more manageable in a team, but the difficulty is ramped so high, out of like 4 to 6 runs with two different teams, I think we only weakened him once lol Crazy difficulty boost, even with having three other team members. Really don't think I'm gonna get to beat him this weekend.  Was gonna try one more time with the glaive, but I'll do that later or tomorrow.

desocietas

« Reply #3626 on: January 21, 2018, 10:56:39 pm »
And wow, I thought Nergigante would be more manageable in a team, but the difficulty is ramped so high, out of like 4 to 6 runs with two different teams, I think we only weakened him once lol Crazy difficulty boost, even with having three other team members. Really don't think I'm gonna get to beat him this weekend.  Was gonna try one more time with the glaive, but I'll do that later or tomorrow.

Nergigante is no joke. Definitely a challenge for solo/team, but not undoable. After trying for a few hours, one of my groups was able to take him down, getting a clear for two of us. That was really nice. We only had like less than a minute left D:  The bf was able to solo him earlier today with a gunlance at about 12 min. Just sucks that the time is so short and he hits sooo hard.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #3627 on: January 22, 2018, 12:20:57 pm »
Gamefly-ed Phantasy Star Zero for the DS but while I wait for my bf to feel like playing it, I got the urge to pull out the Phantasy Star Collection on my GBA. I remember by being shocked that the original games weren't anything like the PSO games, lol. Anyway, it's hitting the spot of old school RPGs where you have no idea where to go and just have to risk going out into the wild, hope you run into a weak monster, run away from strong monsters, and run back to town to heal. Repeat 50 more times until you can buy better gear. Good stuff!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #3628 on: January 22, 2018, 04:31:24 pm »
Trying to find time to keep playing 4 goddesses online. Hoping I can finish it just in time for Monster hunter to arrive. Still high on my list is Summon night  6, Blue reflection, Shadow complex ... but all bets are off March 23. Ni no kuni 2 will trump everything. Im hoping that in all that time, we get 1) more DQ XI info so I know when to plan another vacation and 2) a more definitive release date for Darksiders 3. Then God of War at the end of June

« Reply #3629 on: January 26, 2018, 09:46:55 pm »
Planned to spend most of today playing Dragon Ball FighterZ to get through the story mode, but I took a break after like a half hour to poke around Monster Hunter World, making the character and doing some tutorial stuff, just to check itout, and then basically spent the rest of the afternoon and into the evening going at it lol Really glad there is a free roam mode, I wasn't sure if it was gonna have that or just be mostly timed missions (All of which are very generous at 50 minutes long so far), but I like roaming around, seeing what monster I come across, gathering supplies.  I'm into the second area abit, just came across Diablo, which I backed down hard from, because I'm positive I need at least a tier 3 to go after him with the trouble I'm still having with Rathian.