Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 515767 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3735 on: June 03, 2018, 07:21:35 pm »
Picked up Rising Storm 2: Vietnam a few days ago on a good sale.  It's a little janky feeling at times, but it's a good shooter.  It's fairly hardcore too, kind of like an inbetween experience, where it's not overly complicated and practically a sim game like the ARMA series, but it's got a good bit more depth to it than the average Battlefield experience.  I do feel like it's lacking a little bit in some areas and it is still feels a little unfinished at times.  Like right now, team swapping at the end of rounds just doesn't work, so there's no defense/offense switching, which makes maps feel twice as long. 

One map is just outright badly designed, released in a beta form, where the attacking US army has to attack a beach with helicopters, but helicopters are not easy to fly in this and if the only pilots don't have them mastered, then it's basically just like 15 minutes of watching people hilariously crash.  There's no patrol boats either and they are so far away, they can't swim, so the map just becomes a waste of time.  So far, it's either a complete steamroll with expert pilots or the match is stopped entirely.  I feel like I've rarely ever seen that first point ever have a genuinely good fight to it.

kashell

« Reply #3736 on: June 05, 2018, 08:19:30 am »
Finally, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology has "clicked" for me. I played the original years ago and remember having the same struggle with its slow start. After a while, things fall into place nicely. The new content is quite fun, too.

« Reply #3737 on: June 24, 2018, 04:58:00 am »
Was gonna wait till July when they do the update for Middle-Earth: Shadow of War to pick it up, but the summer sale on Steam offered a big enough deal on the full package to get me in sooner.  Been actually wanting to play it since last year, but much like Battlefront 2, they dove to deep into the micro-transaction well and nearly drowned.  Clearly sales weren't what they wanted, so they've taken to cutting that stuff out and plan to do some work on "Shadow Wars", which I'm not up to in the game yet.

MT shenanigans aside, I do enjoy this game, much like the first, it just has a lot of character and fun gameplay to it.  It's why I never care for the AC games as they just aren't nearly this interesting.  Getting some silly conversation with an Orc captain, or utilizing the more weighty, and brutal, Batman-esque combat system, or just exploring lore of the world is a good time.  I have heard the later end of the game gets a rough grind, but should still be fun till then.

kevininja

« Reply #3738 on: June 25, 2018, 03:24:47 pm »
Was gonna wait till July when they do the update for Middle-Earth: Shadow of War to pick it up, but the summer sale on Steam offered a big enough deal on the full package to get me in sooner.  Been actually wanting to play it since last year, but much like Battlefront 2, they dove to deep into the micro-transaction well and nearly drowned.  Clearly sales weren't what they wanted, so they've taken to cutting that stuff out and plan to do some work on "Shadow Wars", which I'm not up to in the game yet.

MT shenanigans aside, I do enjoy this game, much like the first, it just has a lot of character and fun gameplay to it.  It's why I never care for the AC games as they just aren't nearly this interesting.  Getting some silly conversation with an Orc captain, or utilizing the more weighty, and brutal, Batman-esque combat system, or just exploring lore of the world is a good time.  I have heard the later end of the game gets a rough grind, but should still be fun till then.

I've beaten it last year and I had a blast playing it! The last chapter is a slog to go through, but I heard the upcoming patch fixes that as you mentioned.

telly

« Reply #3739 on: July 01, 2018, 05:07:46 pm »
I've been playing Rogue Galaxy lately. It's a lot of fun, reminds me of Dragon Quest VIII a lot. Only about 3 hours in at this point. Also still grinding for cards in Yu-Gi-Oh to finalize my deck (I'm making a fun lock deck with A Legendary Ocean, Gravity Bind and Level Limit)
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #3740 on: July 01, 2018, 05:17:24 pm »
Just finished up getting the platinum for Ni No Kuni II. Now I'm trying to decide between starting the new Harvest Moon game or A Hat In Time next.

« Reply #3741 on: July 01, 2018, 05:18:01 pm »
I decided to go back to Middle-Earth: Shadow Of Mordor after starting it earlier in the year. Needless to say, I was more hooked now then I was then and made significant progress in the last couple of days. Should have it done by this week if all goes well.

« Reply #3742 on: July 04, 2018, 08:57:35 pm »
I picked up Hollow Knight for the first time yesterday.  This game is phenomenal.  I’m having to force myself to put it down in order to talk with the gf and her family while we are up in the mountains.

« Reply #3743 on: July 05, 2018, 12:50:23 am »
Twitch Prime is just throwing games at people this month, new stuff every day.  Some of the ones that interested me, I already have, such as Brutal Legend and Metal Slug 3, but one that I have been actually wanting to pick up is Battle Chef Brigade.  I'm not like huge into Match 3 games, but the whole art style, combined with this very goofy anime-esque setting, and that it's also an action game when gathering ingredients, leads to a pretty fun setup.

Only complaint is that I'm noticing some stuttering at times, which is kinda obnoxious and that the gameplay can feel a tad loose, but otherwise I love a lot of the character designs and it has some nice voice acting.

kypherion

« Reply #3744 on: July 05, 2018, 01:49:11 am »
Practicing Mortal Kombat X, but going to start playing Halo: Custom Edition.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #3745 on: July 05, 2018, 11:21:40 pm »
With all the Resident Evil 2 Remake hype right now, something I'm very excited for, I thought I'd go back to give the first game another shot with the Resident Evil HD Remaster after dropping it on my first short go and previous tries in the past.  I mean I got it on Steam at some point for probably free or practically nothing, might as well.

I have gotten a good bit farther on this go and while the alternative controls help, these are still not very good controls.  I know purists love the fixed camera setup, I will never see it as more than a limitation of the time that should've been abandoned the moment they weren't needed. I am thankfully getting into the game more, so I can sorta overlook the controls, but it's still a very present thing that drives me nuts more often than I would like. 

Makes me wish they'd just remake all the classic games in the new RE2 Remake style lol Asking a bit too much there, but the general game ideas are still interesting, even if the limited inventory is already obnoxious.  Keys shouldn't take up inventory slots! They are keys! They are tiny! lol

*EDIT*
After putting a number of hours into this, I highly recommend using the door skip mod on PC.  Takes what is normally at least 5 seconds to open each door, and brings it down to a half second at best.  When you are having to run back and forth through the mansion, that stuff adds up.  It could easily add up to an hour of just door opening realistically if I didn't have the door skip.  I actually tried to play this on PS4 at one point, and glad I dropped that.  PC is the best option with this mod.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 06:50:15 am by kamikazekeeg »

kevininja

« Reply #3746 on: July 07, 2018, 04:16:19 pm »
Fired up Half-Life again after beating Prototype yesterday, currently on the 7th chapter.

« Reply #3747 on: July 07, 2018, 09:10:56 pm »
Persona 5

« Reply #3748 on: July 07, 2018, 10:04:27 pm »
Ace Attorney 5. Im what I believe is the last chapter.

« Reply #3749 on: July 07, 2018, 10:35:58 pm »
I managed to beat RE1 HD Remaster yesterday despite my issues with the controls, so with a full head of steam, I decided to jump into RE0 HD Remaster today, but I'm really not liking it as much.  I do like that I can just drop items, but removing the item box makes things abit obnoxious now that I'm leaving stuff everywhere on the floor, mostly in a central room.  It's like one really big unorganized box. 

The co-op stuff is not very good either.  I had forgotten they had done co-op before RE5, but where it mostly worked there, for what it was, here it just feels clunky.  Thought I'd like it more as I could just sorta use the partner as a pack mule, but feels like I'm not gaining as much as I thought, especially when big weapons take up two slots and both characters have them.  Balancing their weapon use and idle/attack stances gets obnoxious.  Also a lot of the areas where zombies show up are very narrow, so you practically have to fight everything, making ammo very scarce and enemies like the ooze people take so much ammo.  No defensive weapons this time either.

I actually got into RE1 more than I expected, the change to co-op is not great and it feels like they could've done more to advance the series at the time.  After playing both of these and realizing that they released in the same year, on the same system, it's kinda no wonder that Capcom decided to make such a big shift with RE4.

Might be the end of my old school runs through Resident Evil other than playing RE4 again.  There's a big high quality texture mod being released soon that I want to check out when its done.