Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 515310 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3855 on: August 26, 2018, 10:27:29 pm »
Still plugging away at Dynasty Warriors 9. I've now added the campaigns of Zhong Hui, Sima Zhao, Meng Huo, Dong Zhuo, and Pang Tong to the completed list.

I really just need to do Lu Xun, Yuan Shao, and a late Shu character to get the completion at this point, but that still leaves most of the cast of 90 untouched.

kashell

« Reply #3856 on: August 27, 2018, 09:05:09 am »
I'm finally giving Final Fantasy X a fair shot. I just made it to the Thunder Plains.

Watch out for the lightning! ;) I'm curious to see what you think of it if you end up beating it. I'm super excited to give it a replay even though I've already beaten it twice.

Thanks! I made it through that and finished the boss fight with the Wendigo. I'm making pretty good progress.

mizzach86

« Reply #3857 on: August 27, 2018, 12:33:12 pm »
I'm still hack and slashing my way through God of War on PS4. I wish I had more time to play it though...

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3858 on: August 27, 2018, 01:44:27 pm »
Playing through Brutal Legend again. Love that game so much! Top 10 for me.

Ah yeah, top 10 game for me too! Absolute favorite of mine.  I don't know if there's ever been a game that's been more specifically targeted at me.  I'm still holding out hope for some sort of sequel someday.

Me too. I've even sent emails to both EA and Double-Fine asking for a sequel.

EA wrote me back (Double-Fine didn't). They're reply wasn't very hopeful, though. Something long the lines of, "Aye, Brutal Legend is great. But the general public is no longer interested in action games such as this. You never know, though, Eddie Riggs may rise again someday."

:'(

« Reply #3859 on: August 28, 2018, 03:59:43 am »
Feeling a tad underwhelmed by Hollow Knight at the moment.  It's fine, but I don't know, it feels kinda basic in its execution.  Maybe I was just spoiled by how good Ori and the Blind Forest was and since this is doing the same exact thing, it isn't holding up nearly as well.  Doesn't help that the art style isn't doing much for me.  It works for what its meant to be, but feels like I'm back in Metal Gear Survive just staring at all these washed out greys and whites with minimal color strewn around.  The challenge is good and it's a well designed game, but I hate the charms thing, since having to choose between what are tool charms and what are gameplay related charms that you can only change at the rest benches.  It just feels tedious to me doing it that way.

I'll still keep casually playing, but my interest has waned the more I played.

shfan

« Reply #3860 on: August 28, 2018, 11:12:35 am »
I've been a bit all over the place, something of a gaming drought, then started playing several things at once. Now I'm playing:

Lost in Blue 3 (DS) - it's not exactly 'fun', but I'm looking forward to exploring the tropical island and seeing what stuff I can make for the survivors.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (PS4) - Wonderboyesque heaven, absolutely brilliant stuff.

Stoneloops! of Jurassica (PC) - this one's a marble-popper, with a little paddle at the bottom of the screen, so it plays like a combination of Arkanoid and Zuma, it's got lovely presentation and sound FX. Didn't know of its existence till I found a copy in the charity shop. I love casual games from the 2000s (this one is 2009), such an interesting range of topics, genres and graphics.

Vampire Hunter D (PS1) - this could almost be Resident Evil, if you ignore the player character, it even has tank controls (which makes combat a pig!), it's interesting though, a new action adventure game set in a castle to explore! I played this yeeeeeeeeeeeeeears ago when I was a kid, but couldn't get far and could only remember that there were some femme fatale type enemies (turns out they're dangerous swordswomen with elasticated claw-hands wearing flowing dresses, so didn't remember wrongly). It's tough and I stupidly used all my health restoratives at the beginning of the game ('using' items from the inventory screen hot-buttons them to the square button as well, so when trying to use D's hand I was using a health potion instead), but it's certainly an interesting adventure. Hope I don't get squashed by a boss.

Hybrid (PS1) - budget FPS, turns out pretty playable actually! The character artwork has a very amateur manga-fan look to it, which reminds me of manga fanzines etc. from my youth, certainly want to play through it. The PS1 was a system I used a lot, but there's squillions of games I never played, it's fun trying new ones out.

« Reply #3861 on: August 28, 2018, 01:37:24 pm »
At the end of Mega Man X6, and I gotta say this game was mostly not terrible... until the final levels.  Everything is instant death spikes and annoying totem tower laser shooting assholes.

« Reply #3862 on: August 28, 2018, 02:32:51 pm »
Feeling a tad underwhelmed by Hollow Knight at the moment.  It's fine, but I don't know, it feels kinda basic in its execution.  Maybe I was just spoiled by how good Ori and the Blind Forest was and since this is doing the same exact thing, it isn't holding up nearly as well.
Interesting.  I think Hollow Knight may have supplanted Zelda as my personal GotY for 2017.  How far you into it?  I found that it didn’t really start to click until after the fight with Hornet and when you get your first movement aid.

But I also loved the art style, so it may just be a different strokes for different folks situation.

« Reply #3863 on: August 28, 2018, 04:31:49 pm »
Feeling a tad underwhelmed by Hollow Knight at the moment.  It's fine, but I don't know, it feels kinda basic in its execution.  Maybe I was just spoiled by how good Ori and the Blind Forest was and since this is doing the same exact thing, it isn't holding up nearly as well.
Interesting.  I think Hollow Knight may have supplanted Zelda as my personal GotY for 2017.  How far you into it?  I found that it didn’t really start to click until after the fight with Hornet and when you get your first movement aid.

But I also loved the art style, so it may just be a different strokes for different folks situation.

I've recently just picked up the Mantis Claw, and trying to figure out where to exactly go next.  Got kinda screwed over in the Hollow Cliffs.  The better mobility helps for sure, but I don't know, it's not really drawing me in like I had hoped.

« Reply #3864 on: August 29, 2018, 04:58:48 am »
Boy, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is definitely a 3DS game lol I'm only starting out in the game, but its really made me appreciate just how good World is.  Like I know World is missing some stuff like G Rank, Transmog, Prowlers, essentially lacking a lot of the content, but so much else is way better.  The areas, the UI, the menu's, just about anything that isn't the games content, is much better in World that I've seen.

Luckily the combat is still pretty much on point, though a tad stiffer.  Think I'm past the tutorial stuff possibly, so I'll be getting more into the actual monster hunting.

kashell

« Reply #3865 on: August 29, 2018, 08:06:03 am »
Still trucking in Final Fantasy X. I just finished the Bevelle Cloister of Trials. That puzzle was annoying.

« Reply #3866 on: August 29, 2018, 08:31:31 am »
Finally finished Mega Man X6, the game is pretty good minus the Sigma/Gate stages.  Better than 5 worse than 4.

Gonna take a break before jumping into 7.  Gonna play Donut County and maybe Loot Rascals.

« Reply #3867 on: August 30, 2018, 07:14:33 pm »
The Messenger is pretty quality so far and I'm not even at the meat of it when its supposed to really take off.  If you had any love for Shovel Knight, this is doing a lot of what that did with good art, music, and gameplay.

kevininja

« Reply #3868 on: August 31, 2018, 02:12:43 pm »
Currently playing through Warhammer 40k: Space Marine, thanks to the Humble promotion.

It's pretty darn good, I'm currently on the 16th Chapter.

« Reply #3869 on: September 08, 2018, 03:12:36 am »
So far, Spider-Man PS4 is pretty dang good.  I've spent quite a few hours doing as much side content as I can because it usually helps unlock costumes, which there are a lot.  I think there's at least 20, and it's just awesome that almost none of it is DLC and I don't even know if the one pre-order costume could be earned or not with gameplay.  There's new costumes apparently in the expansion pass, which I don't know if you wait for the DLC to release before getting them, but they give so many ingame, that I don't mind that.  Honestly, if they just started adding in all sorts of suits, I'd probably start buying them.  Like give me all those non Spider-Man "Identiy Crisis" outfits lile Ricochet, Hornet, Prodigy, and Dusk in like a 4 pack.  Or somehow make Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman playable.  That would be just awesome.

Everything about the game is just so polished and smooth.  I'm reminded of God of War, on PS4, also came out this year, where what is here, isn't exactly new, there's been a bunch of Spider-Man games like this, but none this high quality.  Been such a fun time and I'm not even super deep into the story.