Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514958 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3915 on: October 25, 2018, 03:02:00 pm »
Though I won't finish it again, went back to play A Hat in Time since Steam didn't seem to keep my save now that I'm on a new PC, mostly wanting to play through the new DLC, but going back through the game just reminds me about what a joyous and charming game this is all over again.  I really do like it and the music is just top notch.

shfan

« Reply #3916 on: October 25, 2018, 06:14:01 pm »
Up to a few minutes ago I was playing Lumo, but in the latter half of the game one of it's own unwritten rules got broken and it was a dealbreaker. That's the third previously unplayed PS4 game in a row I've consigned to the trade-in pile. It's been great stripping the crud from my collection and then going through new games which have languished unplayed so long, but when I'm tired it all feels more like bloody work. The PS4 games I have yet to play are tending towards Double-A, indie/pixel or 'quirky' games, which are all fine and good, but I could do with switching systems and playing something a bit more predictable like a shmup, platformer or FPS so I can just get on with it and hopefully enjoy the experience without any awkward mechanics or massive upticks in difficulty. Just don't have the time and energy for all these new gaming experiences ATM.

azure

« Reply #3917 on: October 25, 2018, 06:45:26 pm »
Been replaying Deadly Premonition for the season. Still love this game to death. Playing the PS3 version this time around, which means once I finish it I will have completed every port of the game.

« Reply #3918 on: October 26, 2018, 06:40:54 am »
Taking that deep dive into Red Dead Redemption 2.  Pretty solid so far, taking what RDR did the first go around and just plopping on some more general depth to everything, along with bringing over the improvements from GTAV.  I like that some missions seem to offer choices on how you want to handle things which is cool, though not sure how much it really varies the missions up.  This is gonna be one hell of a time sink that's for sure.

*EDIT*
Still going at RDR2, hitting that point in an open world game where you start to really figure out what you do and don't like.  It's a very well rounded, well designed, game, and there hasn't be much of that feeling of "Oh, I've done or seen this before".  Some general criminal acts don't seem to change, but a lot of the random happenings keep varied.  There was a KKK gag that happened twice and it gave me a good laugh.

The amount of horseback riding is starting to hit that point of "Boy, I wish I could fast travel".  This could start to push me to just ignore side activities more and try to focus on just the story stuff to get through to the end, because when you want to go somewhere specific and you know it'll take you 5 to 10 minutes of riding, if not more, it can really put a damper on your energy for wanting to do it.  There are wagons between the towns, but its still a matter of convenience.  I can put up with some tediousness, but when you are spending hours on horseback, the beautiful scenery and pitstops for helping or killing someone only do so much to keep you entertained after awhile.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 05:58:11 am by kamikazekeeg »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3919 on: October 29, 2018, 01:02:15 pm »
Taking that deep dive into Red Dead Redemption 2.  Pretty solid so far, taking what RDR did the first go around and just plopping on some more general depth to everything, along with bringing over the improvements from GTAV.  I like that some missions seem to offer choices on how you want to handle things which is cool, though not sure how much it really varies the missions up.  This is gonna be one hell of a time sink that's for sure.

*EDIT*
Still going at RDR2, hitting that point in an open world game where you start to really figure out what you do and don't like.  It's a very well rounded, well designed, game, and there hasn't be much of that feeling of "Oh, I've done or seen this before".  Some general criminal acts don't seem to change, but a lot of the random happenings keep varied.  There was a KKK gag that happened twice and it gave me a good laugh.

The amount of horseback riding is starting to hit that point of "Boy, I wish I could fast travel".  This could start to push me to just ignore side activities more and try to focus on just the story stuff to get through to the end, because when you want to go somewhere specific and you know it'll take you 5 to 10 minutes of riding, if not more, it can really put a damper on your energy for wanting to do it.  There are wagons between the towns, but its still a matter of convenience.  I can put up with some tediousness, but when you are spending hours on horseback, the beautiful scenery and pitstops for helping or killing someone only do so much to keep you entertained after awhile.

That's not the only tedious part, either. Having to keep up on stuff like eating, sleeping, shaving, donating to the camp and doing camp chores is tedious, too. I know it's some big technical achievement to be so realistic, but dang, I've got enough responsibilities in real life.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3920 on: October 29, 2018, 08:48:22 pm »
Been 3 weeks since I got Disgaea 1 Complete already have over 70hrs into it. My girlfriend is not happy about it.

kashell

« Reply #3921 on: October 30, 2018, 08:21:09 am »
I'm replaying Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. It's great having a 1/256 D-Ratio.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 05:09:52 pm by kashell »

« Reply #3922 on: November 01, 2018, 07:11:51 am »
There's something from Toby Fox out now that Undertale fans might find interesting and ended up being a pretty fun surprise coming out of nowhere.  Check out the Undertale twitter for more.

*EDIT*

Put a couple hours into the Fallout 76 Beta and as everyone would expect, it's a mixed bag.  Honestly, there are things I like.  The camp setup is cool, being able to carry around a mini base with you that you can set up in the wild.  The survival elements such as actually needing food and water, makes that important compared to being unimportant in the regular Fallout experience.  And they made general improvements to the menu's for building and the workbenches. 

The downside is that the game has no NPC's outside of a couple robots and one traveling Super Mutant vendor.  They fill this gap with survivor stories and other holotapes strewn around.  They even seem to justify why there are no NPC's around with in game reasoning, something I didn't expect. 

It's basically the same experience as Fallout 4, but you'll run across actual players.  Once you get outside the early area of the game, it all feels slightly more like a regular MMO, than the experience you'd think, such as DayZ or Rust.  It's not kill on sight because it's all more casual than those games with permadeath, so it feels more like Warcraft in that way.  You also don't PVP till Level 5.  Having it be an online game though, it throws in some extra slop onto the usual Bethesda experience.  Also there's a bug/issue that if your framerate goes nuts in some places, physics are tied to it and you go super fast.  I never came across that and it may be fixed, but it looked pretty funny.

As much of a Fallout fan I am, I'll probably pass on it for awhile.  If they release a singleplayer version or the option to go offline, I might think otherwise, but with other games coming out around then, and no mod support available right away, I'm not super hyped to play the game since I don't have a group of close friends willing to play this.  It's not a bad game at all, but I don't think a lot of Fallout fans are wanting specifically this type of spinoff game.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:05:17 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #3923 on: November 02, 2018, 09:18:57 am »

Game mechanic I found out about yesterday morning that has really helped me out:

Set a waypoint, get your horse to cantor, and then activate cinematic view.  The horse will follow the waypoint to the end.  It's not a perfect solution, as you can get ambushed, and the horse may (rarely so far) lose the path - and you still actually have to wait, but you don't have to manually steer.  I've been using it as my snack and bathroom break time.

Tiny spoilers:
You can unlock fast travel at your camp.  But, it is only from your camp.

« Reply #3924 on: November 02, 2018, 05:42:06 pm »

Game mechanic I found out about yesterday morning that has really helped me out:

Set a waypoint, get your horse to cantor, and then activate cinematic view.  The horse will follow the waypoint to the end.  It's not a perfect solution, as you can get ambushed, and the horse may (rarely so far) lose the path - and you still actually have to wait, but you don't have to manually steer.  I've been using it as my snack and bathroom break time.

Tiny spoilers:
You can unlock fast travel at your camp.  But, it is only from your camp.

Yeah I figured out the fast travel thing well after I got to Lemoyne.  It does help when I need to head back North for sure and after another camp move, will help back down to the South.  I tried that cinematic view thing after it showed up at a point, but the horse didn't really want to follow like I thought after that, so maybe I just did it wrong and I'll have to try again.  I'm at Chapter 6 at this point and really feeling the grind of it all, so anything that helps alleviate the tedium is a big help.  I'm just starting to skip side stuff and pushing to get through the story now.

kashell

« Reply #3925 on: November 05, 2018, 08:19:53 am »
Cosmic Star Heroine is pretty great so far. I think the character art is ugly, but other than that I'm having a great time.

telly

« Reply #3926 on: November 05, 2018, 08:24:16 am »
I've been playing Secret of Mana. It's been pretty good, I'm not super crazy into it but it is fun. Just got to the upper lands and got the third mana seed.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3927 on: November 05, 2018, 12:56:19 pm »
A whole lot of God of War (PS4).

WAAAYYYY more fun than Red Dead Redemption 2. RDR2 was putting me to sleep. God of War has me glued to my T.V. screen for hours on end.

shatterstar69

« Reply #3928 on: November 06, 2018, 05:14:08 am »
I like to have a game on each system I own that I try to finish.  Here they are:
Ps4 - Spider-Man
Ps3 - Dead Space 3
Ps2 - Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Xbox 360 - Rage
Xbox One - Fallout 76 (of course, just beta right now)
Wii - Punch-Out!!
GBA - Final Fantasy II - Dawn of Souls
PSP - Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

I just finished Last of Us Remastered and it was excellent.  Not sure why I waited this long to play it but my backlog of games is enormous :lol:

Time to make the donuts!

shfan

« Reply #3929 on: November 06, 2018, 07:58:43 am »
Playing Dead Island on the 360, need to find a PS4 or PS2 game to play as well, Dead Island gets dull after an hour or two, it's like a lot of open world games - big location, sod all to do in it.