Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 505001 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #4515 on: January 11, 2022, 08:23:02 am »
Swapping between Deathloop, Blue Fire, and Lost Words.

Largely playing Deathloop when my kid is asleep or not around... but Blue Fire or Lost Words when he is.  Lost Words I'm definitely playing for him, but Blue Fire I'm playing more for me but it seems like an okay game for him to see (unlike deathloop).

« Reply #4516 on: January 13, 2022, 12:39:56 am »
I'm coming up towards the latter end of Dark Souls 3 I think (May or may not do the DLC yet, not 100% sure), and once I beat that, I'll be diving deeper into Monster Hunter Rise with the PC release.  I stopped playing that on Switch sometime before the end of the story updates came out, because I kinda lost interest in it.  The gameplay is pretty fun, but I thought compared to Monster Hunter World, it wasn't nearly as good in the general sense.  Not bad, but I dumped 250 hours into MHW before Iceborne came out, but MHR, I only play 60 hours.  I'm double dipping primarily for the PC performance as a smooth 60fps can do wonders for a game like this.  It didn't run bad on Switch, but it just wasn't as good as World was to me, especially once that game got the PS5 boost.  And now that the story is complete, I can actually beat the game and experience some of the new monsters I missed.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4517 on: January 13, 2022, 01:22:12 am »
Another Metroid 2 Remake

Sooo much better than the official Metroid 2 Remake we got from Nintendo. They should have just paid these guys to do it like Sega did for Sonic Mania.

« Reply #4518 on: January 14, 2022, 12:43:43 am »
Picked up a HP Reverb G2 VR headset on a sale as I was trying to see if I could get an affordable headset with some better visuals to it, and while the G2 doesn't exactly improve them much, I do think the picture and performance is abit cleaner.  I had an Oculus Quest 2 before, but I think what helps with the comfort, is that the G2 just fits better than the Quest 2.  My glasses aren't so squished in, and taking it on and off is way easier due to the whole headband setup able to move upwards, so I can hold the headset flush with my face and just take it on and off.  Makes it way easier to fit, combined with the side straps.  Also the built in speakers are nicer, acting like headphones, sitting just off the ear compared to the Quest 2 that had them on the underside of the headset I believe.

I don't know if the price difference between them really justifies my "upgrade", it's 600 bucks (Though it had a 450 sale for me at the time and is 500 on sale right now) compared to the Quest 2 being a 300 price tag, the Quest 2 also being a standalone headset, but I found that "standalone" aspect can be a big negative.  It ran Beat Saber totally fine, but Resident Evil 4 VR was horrible and I didn't really like the Walking Dead game, so it's standalone aspect is very limited if you are just gonna end up hooking it to a PC for better experiences anyways.  The G2 does seem like an improvement performance wise being specifically made for PC play, at least compared to the standalone version of Beat Saber on the Quest 2.

I did consider holding out for the Playstation VR2, it seems like it'll have some real nice visuals with the improved resolution and it'll be around the same price as the Reverb G2, but the customization PC allows is more important to me, like being able to do custom songs in Beat Saber, or how there's a guy making VR work in all the new Resident Evil games right now.  That stuff is a big plus for a PC headset I think.

ferraroso

« Reply #4519 on: January 17, 2022, 03:27:43 am »
Just finished playing Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth on the PS4.

I've always loved the lore of RoLW and playing a Metroidvania set in that universe was a pretty nice experience.
The game's visuals, some of its animations and even enemies are nothing more than a blatant rip-off of Symphony of the Night, but the gameplay offers some Ikaruga-like features that, at least for me, kept it fresh from beggining to end.

A great bang for the buck!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4520 on: January 17, 2022, 04:34:20 am »
Just finished playing Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth on the PS4.

I've always loved the lore of RoLW and playing a Metroidvania set in that universe was a pretty nice experience.
The game's visuals, some of its animations and even enemies are nothing more than a blatant rip-off of Symphony of the Night, but the gameplay offers some Ikaruga-like features that, at least for me, kept it fresh from beggining to end.

Spot-on review. I loved it as well and agree with everything you said. Except I didn't beat it. :(  Made it to the final boss-rush but couldn't beat that.

« Reply #4521 on: January 20, 2022, 04:12:14 am »

It's awesome to know that there are still some people out there who value this great franchise! I once played an emulated version of an SNES Game about RoLW and really enjoyed it!

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

telekill

« Reply #4522 on: January 20, 2022, 09:30:03 am »
I completed Mass Effect 3 a couple days ago and thus... completed the Legendary Edition. Fantastic trilogy. After replaying, the series is my second favorite sitting just behind Uncharted. Can't wait for the new one in the works. I'll even give Andromeda another go some time this year.

Currently playing Guardians of the Galaxy (PS5). I think this game is pretty good so far. Definitely didn't get the buzz it deserved.

« Reply #4523 on: January 20, 2022, 10:42:03 am »
I've been playing Alan Wake just to get more content in the universe of Control.  It's an interesting story, and definitely helps build out that universe, but the gameplay is a tad wonky.  I've gotten used to as the game has gone on, but there are definitely some parts where it has made it artificially difficult.  Probably also super noticeable since I'm playing it after Control which plays soooo much better.

telly

« Reply #4524 on: January 20, 2022, 11:20:42 am »
I've been playing Kirby and the Rainbow Curse in between Persona 5. I actually really like the gameplay and level design, but I can only play it on the GamePad because of how accurate you have to be with touches and swipes, which is disappointing.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #4525 on: January 24, 2022, 08:48:26 am »
Just got me a cartridge of Donkey Kong Country 2 for SNES and started playing it up to 52% in first session :)
Some things are just like riding a bike - U never forget how to do it, once you know how ...  8) Some of the best 16bit music ever created imo
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

« Reply #4526 on: January 24, 2022, 10:12:35 pm »
The failure of Battlefield 2042 has pushed me into going back to play the previous games, remembering how solid they are, even if some of them I still have a few issues with. 

Battlefield 3 seemed fairly empty, but Battlefield 4 still has a good enough crowd of folks and feels fun to play still.  It's overwhelming with how many weapons it ended up with, but it's got some real good stuff going on still, it's only really missing some of the movement/animation improvements that came with Battlefield 1 and V.  I had forgotten how good those games were for the series.

Battlefield 1 is really solid, super smooth to play and the action gets really intense with the kind of atmosphere it can have.  The only problems I have with it is that I think it has too much automatic weapon fire for the period, I remember this being a thing when it came out, I think it has some weapons that were "technically" around, and I sorta feel like they didn't want to adhere to close to historical accuracy because the series has relied on a big mixture of different weapon types, which wasn't as common back then.  Also the way they did "weapon customization" didn't make a lot of sense to me.  Rather than picking one gun that you customized, you would pick weapon variants that had different features such as a scope or bipod or silencer and that sucks. It was clearly bad when they dropped it for Battlefield V, but it's fine, each class has a good number of weapons to fool around with.  Not a huge crowd still playing it, but I think it's been bolstered lately.

Gonna end up replaying some Battlefield V too soon, I'm just so disappointed with Battlefield 2042 that I can't even push myself to play it because I know it's gonna be buggy and most of the bigger modes are gonna have bots running around, which are terrible.  So many mistakes with this game, it needed at least another year or two of full development before releasing.

tripredacus

« Reply #4527 on: January 25, 2022, 11:48:30 am »
I've reached the 50% mark on Far Cry 4 so far. Really wish there was a power up or skill that makes some of the animals ignore you more often. Gets really annoying to be attacked by eagles or packs of dogs and wolves constantly. Also maybe it is my fault since I hate driving in these games, I get attacked by animals often since I'm using straight line travel over terrain.

« Reply #4528 on: January 25, 2022, 01:20:55 pm »
FC4 was the first time in the series where I just started fast traveling everywhere and only running between place when I had to.  It definitely had too many animals and random world stuff going on.

mastodon

« Reply #4529 on: January 26, 2022, 04:58:53 am »
As far as FPS games I'm playing Escape from Tarkov. Its super intense. Other games would be Star Citizen. Its a very interesting space sim/mmo but its in its alpha phase. Also No Mercy.