Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 511490 times)

desocietas

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #210 on: November 20, 2012, 01:43:36 pm »
I'm playing Silent Bomber! Its as good as I remember the demo being and it feeds my shmup addiction. So happy that I was able to finally get it.

Have you made a dent in Ragnarok Tactics yet?  I have such a hard time getting into the right frame of mind for tactics/strategy games.

Currently the boyfriend and I are nervously making our way through Telltale's The Walking Dead and I'm trying to make some progress in Runaway: Dream of the Turtle (probably one of the worst game titles, imo).

The Walking Dead is a little difficult since I don't like to play horror games (but I want to know what happens), so I give the controller to the boyfriend.  However, since he doesn't play games, it's torturous to watch him fumble with the controls and not pick up on what to do and when to react to gameplay elements.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2012, 01:51:33 pm »
Nah, I haven't. I haven't been able to play much of anything while working on this arcade cab. But last night I got frustrated and took a quick break to play some Silent Bomber.

I guess the hardest part of digging into Ragnarok Tactics was the fact that it took me 3 days to do the tutorial battle. Just because I could save mid fight at any time and set it down. Plus Yuri (I think that's his name) annoys the crap out of me. He's a knight of one of the factions and he's all "I'm a knight of yadda yadda and as a knight of yadda yadda, I must do this! And we must no work with HER, because she is a witch from another faction". Maybe it gets better and it's part of the 4 main characters I've seen learning to work together. But damn he's annoying already (and he totally looks like a girl).
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2012, 01:54:18 pm »
Nah, I haven't. I haven't been able to play much of anything while working on this arcade cab. But last night I got frustrated and took a quick break to play some Silent Bomber.

I guess the hardest part of digging into Ragnarok Tactics was the fact that it took me 3 days to do the tutorial battle. Just because I could save mid fight at any time and set it down. Plus Yuri (I think that's his name) annoys the crap out of me. He's a knight of one of the factions and he's all "I'm a knight of yadda yadda and as a knight of yadda yadda, I must do this! And we must no work with HER, because she is a witch from another faction". Maybe it gets better and it's part of the 4 main characters I've seen learning to work together. But damn he's annoying already (and he totally looks like a girl).

Hahah ok, maybe I should look into it during the holiday weekend to see if it's really that annoying.  Plus, the 4-day weekend will give me a chance perhaps to get through the tutorial...  :o
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2012, 02:00:23 pm »
Oh it's not a LONG tutorial... it just couldn't hold my attention. And even then half of the enemy unit never closed on me, so I had to spend a bunch of wasted turns moving.

soera

« Reply #214 on: November 20, 2012, 02:03:27 pm »
Actually I have a few things Im going to toss up in the pay it forward thread. :)

darko

« Reply #215 on: November 20, 2012, 11:17:53 pm »
I started replaying Chrono Trigger tonight on the DS. Wow, it's SUCH A GOOD GAME!!!!

Honestly, the DS version is really, really good. You basically get the videos from the PS version and the option to either play the entire game as it was originally released on the SNES or use the touchpad, etc.

foxhack

« Reply #216 on: November 21, 2012, 12:04:00 am »
I'm trying to beat Ys Origin on Nightmare mode with all three characters. I'm using Yunica (the er... axwoman) and it's a pain in the ass since you get next to no money for upgrades. :|

scott

« Reply #217 on: November 21, 2012, 01:17:20 am »
I started replaying Chrono Trigger tonight on the DS. Wow, it's SUCH A GOOD GAME!!!!

Honestly, the DS version is really, really good. You basically get the videos from the PS version and the option to either play the entire game as it was originally released on the SNES or use the touchpad, etc.

I'm pretty sure the DS version is my favorite too. Though, I still want to get the SNES version one day. Too bad there is to play DS games on your TV...

Hmm... I wonder if they could pull that off on the Wii U? With that fancy controller it seems super doable.If they did announce something like a DS Player add on for it, I'd be sold.

psydswipe

« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2012, 07:45:05 am »
I rarely play kart racers, and have hardly played any Mario Kart, but I've been enjoying Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed this week. Part of it is I grew up on Sega platforms, though there seem to be a lot more Dreamcast characters than those from the Genesis days. I did play a little of the first Sega kart racer which had some different characters, some of whom I would have preferred to see again in this one rather than characters like Pudding (Space Channel 5) or Danica Patrick.

tpugmire

« Reply #219 on: November 21, 2012, 11:00:26 am »
This past couple of weeks I've challenged myself to do a few things that I've never done.

1. Beat Earthbound without using the guide at all.  I finished it in two weeks and didn't die once.

2. Beat Super Mario Bros 2 without using warp zones or shortcuts.  I beat it in just over an hour.  I've owned the game since it was brand new, and always used the warp zones, so this is the first time that I ever faced Fryguy or Clawgrip.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2012, 11:07:23 am »
2. Beat Super Mario Bros 2 without using warp zones or shortcuts.  I beat it in just over an hour.  I've owned the game since it was brand new, and always used the warp zones, so this is the first time that I ever faced Fryguy or Clawgrip.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still plays this game.  I think it gets a bad rap.  It's a really fun game.  And it had the first cross-dresser in video games.

soera

« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2012, 11:19:00 am »
I can not get with you on this one. I despise SMB2. It is definitely a frustrating game and the mechanics are not something I liked. With that being said, I did a play through of all the Mario games for my kids and I had to do this one too. I didnt use warps but I sure as hell took a lot longer than an hour heh.

scott

« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2012, 11:44:47 am »
I'm with turf on this one. I'm a big fan on SMB2 and its one of the most played NES games I had as a kid. I still randomly whistle the music from the first level to this day.

darko

« Reply #223 on: November 21, 2012, 12:29:25 pm »
I have to agree with the SMB2 love. It's an awesome game!

foxhack

« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2012, 12:38:31 am »
I installed Law & Order: Dead on the Money. So far it seems like a very competent game, but I am not a fan of having a time limit to gather evidence.